Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 3500 Aisin vs 68rfe...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a 2500 is more than enough or run a 3500 SO

GBB

Reaction score
Understood guys and thanks for the feedback. As I said my current 3500 is 68rfe equipped. I’ve never felt like it would fail me even on my most challenging tows/hauls.
My one gripe with my pick up is this: the second I hitch to anything, even really light loads, my MPG goes to hell. I can easily get 19-21 mpg unladen. Even my lightest loads take that down to 11-14 immediately. As I said I’m constantly towing something. Most those loads you’d consider light. Do you guys thing the HO/AISIN combo with 3.73 would help boost that MPG some?
Thanks again.
I experience the same mileage drop when I plug in a trailer..I’m just gonna hook up and not plug in next time...something bout that plug-in

GBB

Reaction score
Both trannys will work..either the slip or the slam.

sstoner911

Reaction score
My HO/AISIN averaged 21.3 mpg over nearly 3,000 miles when new and drank DEF like it was hooked to a factory supply. Usually see more along the lines of 18 mpg in the local driving here in the mountains. I have not really towed much light weight stuff. The small trailer and tractor is about 4800 pounds and have not seen a noticeable change in local mileage. Towing the CTL on its trailer with a weight of 15600# typically yields 14.5-15 mpg.

I guess I haven't figured out to get this spectacular mileage yet.

My 2017 2500 with the 68 never saw above 16 in the city even after the delete. Towing 10K I never got better than 11mpg on flat ground.

My 2019 3500 HO with the AISIN is about the same - 15 in town and 11mpg towing on flat ground. Both trucks are consistent at about 9MPG with any kind of uphill grades.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I guess I haven't figured out to get this spectacular mileage yet.

My 2017 2500 with the 68 never saw above 16 in the city even after the delete. Towing 10K I never got better than 11mpg on flat ground.

My 2019 3500 HO with the AISIN is about the same - 15 in town and 11mpg towing on flat ground. Both trucks are consistent at about 9MPG with any kind of uphill grades.

Same experience here. I had a 2016 2500 cummins 4x4 and it would do about 16 or so unloaded--hand calculated. Towing our 14k lbs 5'er would yield 9-10mpg max at ~65mph.

I lol when poeple say they get 14 and 15 "towing" mpg. Towing what... a jet ski?

I actually prefer the AISIN over the 68 for in-town driving. I really don't have any major complaints with either however.

I just ordered a 2021 mega dually HO truck. How would you explain the shifting and driving patterns of the Aisin vs the 68rfe?

sstoner911

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2021 mega dually HO truck. How would you explain the shifting and driving patterns of the Aisin vs the 68rfe?

The 68RFE to me was really sleepy - the shift patterns were sluggish in my opinion. It really woke up with the trans tuning when I deleted the truck. The AISIN is the opposite - it is much more responsive and kicks it in the ass. Some people I think describe this as having a harsh feel. The HO is not a Cadillac - but its not a dump truck either. Its a happy medium.

Hope that helps!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The 68RFE to me was really sleepy - the shift patterns were sluggish in my opinion. It really woke up with the trans tuning when I deleted the truck. The AISIN is the opposite - it is much more responsive and kicks it in the ass. Some people I think describe this as having a harsh feel. The HO is not a Cadillac - but its not a dump truck either. Its a happy medium.

Hope that helps!

It does help and I had the same experience with my 2016 68rfe truck. The trans tuning was lazy, ill- timed, and overall crappy.

Good to hear about the Alain.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Jury is still out on the latest flash on my HO/Aisin.

I think it went from firm to harsh and the shifts are definitely "different" than it was before. Maybe it just needs to adapt.

I didn't plan on tuning and wanted the 1,000 lb-ft with factory warranty. The shift defueling is a bit disappointing, but when it hooks a gear it hauls. Seems to actually pull stronger since the flash. Maybe i got the 1075 lb-ft tune? LOL

carl2591

Reaction score
question about the 68 rfe.. was seeing some info on valve body replacement as a good thing on this trans and some tuning to increase line pressure. there are some DIY kits and this thing called the babymaker.. anyone have experience with this and trans tuning..?? thanks

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Jury is still out on the latest flash on my HO/Aisin.

I think it went from firm to harsh and the shifts are definitely "different" than it was before. Maybe it just needs to adapt.

I didn't plan on tuning and wanted the 1,000 lb-ft with factory warranty. The shift defueling is a bit disappointing, but when it hooks a gear it hauls. Seems to actually pull stronger since the flash. Maybe i got the 1075 lb-ft tune? LOL
Hey Brutal, any updates on shifting? Did it re-learn? Got any better? Any other complains or comments post flashing?
I still haven't done mine, took it for a 1st oil change a little while ago and told them not to screw around with that emission recall if they don't want to have one bitching and complaining client on their neck. They didn't touch it. Yet

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I’d rather be 140 pounds overweight and have the heavier built trans for my application
That's right! Towing with 68rfe maxes out at around 17-18k lbs, Aisin goes all the way up to 36k lbs on 3500 drw (installed options dependent).
68rfe appears to be a fine tranny for those who needs payload and doesn't care about max tow numbers.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Sometimes get pulled over and truck and trailer scaled. I have been let go 1,000lbs overweight. 3% over is usually the limit in MY area. So if I’m 45,000 on a 44,000lb tag, they generally don’t care, because they know their equipment lacks the accuracy to be exact. 140lbs is nothing.
Get the Aisin. Its twice the slush box.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
If you tow get the Aisin. If you are not planning on towing more then then mentioned in the first post the 68rfe is fine. BTW- If you have ever ridden in a tuned truck with a 68rfe it is a different beast.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
For anyone still debating which trans to get, now that ive taken delivery of our 2021 HO/Aisin truck and have drive time with both transmissions, in my opinion there is no reason to fear the Aisin as a "daily driver". My truck now has about 1500 miles on it and it is perfectly docile at low speeds and just as easy to lug around as my 2016 68rfe truck was.

Honestly, there is no way for me to tell the Aisin truck has a heavier duty trans installed than the 68rfe truck i used to drive. Granted, my 68rfe was a 2016 and software is likely nicely updated for the newer 19+ 68rfe models.

They are both fine transmissions with very low failure rates so either one is a fine choice TBH.

Johhnyrotten

Reaction score
Hello guys. I’m looking to trade in my ‘17 3500 68rfe Ram for a new 2020. Not sure which tranny I should go with. I tow pretty light utility trailers every day I’d say at the heaviest maybe 5000lb. Tow a 7000 pound jet boat pretty regularly.
My big tows/hauls happen probably 8-10 times a year. Towing the boat and hauling an Arctic Fox 990 truck camper. I figure 4500 pounds or so. A few of those trips are kinda nasty down into Hells Canyon on a real steep dirt road.
The 68rfe has not given me any problems and has always performed well. Truck now sits at 44500 miles.
Looking for input on the Aisin. Do you guys think I should be looking at that tranny or stick with the 68rfe? Thanks for any input you may have.
Looking for input on the Aisin. Do you guys think I should be looking at that tranny or stick with the 68rfe? Thanks for any input you may have.
My 2020 3500 HO diesel with the aisin tranny is the worst vehicle I have ever owned nothing but problem since 450klms 32000klms now and the vehicle has been in and out of the shop for weeks and weeks . The transmission doesn't engage into first gear just out of the blue randomly just won't move i was almost seriously t-boned yesterday the truck stopped just in the nick of time. its like the transmission drops into neutral when I come to a stop and try to drive again the motor reves up and then it makes a loud bang and drives also does this randomly while driving . Also violently downshifts at 60klms causing the seat belts to lock and the truck feels like you have slammed on the brakes

Users who are viewing this thread