Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

woody284

Reaction score
It took 12 weeks for Leer toship the slider window I ordered to replace the fixed glass in my used cap. Now to get it painted. Tired of looking like an Oreo cookie.

Thedaran

Reaction score
Has anyone with a 2022 longbed purchased a softtopper? The website only has the 8' option available for up to the 2020 model year. Did you purchase this softopper, and how is the fit? The bed dimensions look to be identical for the past couple years, but figured I'd ask the community for confirmation.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Has anyone with a 2022 longbed purchased a softtopper? The website only has the 8' option available for up to the 2020 model year. Did you purchase this softopper, and how is the fit? The bed dimensions look to be identical for the past couple years, but figured I'd ask the community for confirmation.
2019+ same bed, maybe even the same as gen 4

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Finally. After 16 weeks I get my Z series installed tomorrow! 2021 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi. Crystal Granite color. I sprung for the Cap, Keyless entry and the front Drop down slider. It also comes with fully carpeted interior, Frameless back glass and screened side windows -ETC Hoping fit and finish are good!
Did it get installed ?

RAMRULZ21

Reaction score
Did it get installed ?
Yes, sorry, just logged in and found this notification. Everything was very good except the carpet in the upper right hand corner of the cap as you look in from the tailgate. I thought at first there was just a big tear or something up there but as it turns out it is the factory "cut" where they made the corner. It must have not glued down all of the way and lifted up some. Still appears to be a little short on carpet but I will just lay it back down with some glue after the cold weather breaks. I don't want to go through the BS of going back to the dealer and having them take it off or whatever they are gonna BS me with.. Not worth it in my opinion and honestly after I fix it you wont ever see it or know it was there. Everything I ordered came in and was perfect. No blems in paint or shell and no other issues.

One thing I did notice is that the weather stripping used at the tailgate was a TAD too long and rubbed the paint on my tailgate without me catching it... Of course, just like sand paper, it rubbed a small spot down to bare metal :eek:... I cut that #$%^ off a little shorter and ordered a little pen of touch up paint. Super happy with the sealer they used where the cap meets the bedrails and in all of the corners of the cap. It is like a Black tar/clay material. Looks REALLY NICE and seems to be very well sealed all over! I have since had the truck and cap in some downpours and pressure washes. NO LEAKS except at the tailgate which is understandable. I bought some gasket material and the ROKBLOCK tailgate strip to try and divert any creeping water. There are no holes for the water to come in really, just creeping in from regular driving at the top of the tailgate. Can't wait for the weather to break to install everything. The wife was nice enough to buy me the Bed Rug Impact bed mat for Christmas as well!

2021 Ram.jpeg2021 Ram (2).jpeg2021 Ram (3).jpeg2021 Ram (4).jpeg

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Those of you with cab height toppers with frameless rear doors, can you tell me what you have for shocks/struts/springs/supports for the rear door? Mine are not supporting the door, I ordered exact model replacements to what was installed thinking they were bad, but still not supporting.

dm6

Reaction score
Another question for those with frameless rear doors: do they feel as durable or secure as the framed ones? And in general for all caps, do you feel they cut the view from the rearview mirror down a whole lot, or can you still see a little bit back there?

RAMRULZ21

Reaction score
Another question for those with frameless rear doors: do they feel as durable or secure as the framed ones? And in general for all caps, do you feel they cut the view from the rearview mirror down a whole lot, or can you still see a little bit back there?
I have only had 2 caps in my life. The first one was 2nd hand and was a leer with a framed door. I actually feel like the one piece glass, frameless door feels more secure or solid. It could be that the leer was 2nd hand and worn down but it actually twisted more than this A.R.E. As far as view is concerned I can still see out of my back window fine when looking for vehicles. If anything it "bubbled" the standard no cap view a little bit. Honestly I just use all of the cameras when I am backing up so maybe I don't notice it as much as another person would.

With all of the glass on the sides of the cap and the back door nothing feels " secure" in the sense of this fubar world. :)

RAMRULZ21

Reaction score
Those of you with cab height toppers with frameless rear doors, can you tell me what you have for shocks/struts/springs/supports for the rear door? Mine are not supporting the door, I ordered exact model replacements to what was installed thinking they were bad, but still not supporting.
My 2 cents... Anyone can reply with the part numbers of their struts etc. I dont know how much it will help you because they seem really sensitive to different weights. What works for me might be too light or too heavy for your application.. I will look on my A.R.E and see what they are but have you contacted the MFG of your cap? Probably a dumb question..

el_barto

Reaction score
And in general for all caps, do you feel they cut the view from the rearview mirror down a whole lot, or can you still see a little bit back there?
I have an ARE V series (framed door), yes you loose a bit of visibility (darker due to the extra layer of tint, plus obstructed view where the pillars are) HOWEVER the rear view mirror is still absolutely functional and useable to see what is behind you. Not much different Rear view than an SUV.
I had a soft topper on my last truck and that obstructed the view much more substantially because a) the rear window is smaller b) no side windows c) the rear window fogged over after a couple years…the visibility was part of the reason I went with a fiberglass topper Vs another Softtopper.

It is worth noting, that due to aerodynamics, the rear glass gets convered in road mist when driving on wet roads/snow when driving in fresh pow, and there is no wiper to clean it (obviously), unlike most hatchbacks/SUVs

At some point, I may try to retrofit the digital rear view mirror and add a camera to the back of the topper

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
My 2 cents... Anyone can reply with the part numbers of their struts etc. I dont know how much it will help you because they seem really sensitive to different weights. What works for me might be too light or too heavy for your application.. I will look on my A.R.E and see what they are but have you contacted the MFG of your cap? Probably a dumb question..
I have contacted the mfg, waiting on a response. What I am looking to gain from this is the capacity of the shocks/struts/springs. The ones I removed and replaced are 43lbs/ strut, which evidently is not enough. I could probably do the calculations to figure it out, but would need to figure out the weight of the door.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
This is my first frameless rear door. I think it feels more solid, but as far as durability, I see more caps with frameless rear doors with missing doors than framed. My dad has had caps on the last 4 trucks he has owned, the last cap had a frameless door and ended up shattering when he attempted to open it (froze shut). It was cheaper to replace the entire cap than to replace just the door. I love the look of frameless, but am careful with it.

el_barto

Reaction score
This is my first frameless rear door. I think it feels more solid, but as far as durability, I see more caps with frameless rear doors with missing doors than framed. My dad has had caps on the last 4 trucks he has owned, the last cap had a frameless door and ended up shattering when he attempted to open it (froze shut). It was cheaper to replace the entire cap than to replace just the door. I love the look of frameless, but am careful with it.
Part of the reason I went with the V-series(framed rear window), is that replacement glass would theoretically be cheaper and easier to source.
I do think the frameless, curved glass looks much nicer though.

Here’s a rear view thru the rear view mirror. A couple notes: a) I removed the rear headrests for better rear visibility/less obstruction since I rarely have rear passengers that aren’t a dog b) my rear glass is covered in road mist since we have had snow this past week, so clarity/transparency is reduced vs when it’s clean.
1DED31E6-4317-4307-A729-EF6AA936BF42.jpeg

Last edited:

woody284

Reaction score
It may be not holding your glass due to temps. I replaced my struts with longer ones from Autozone this past summer. They worked great until it got cold. Now they seem to still hold it up but not as high as when it was warm. Just a thought. Your 43 lb struts might be ok if your somewhere cold right now.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’d look at the numbers / info on the factory topper gas struts and order a new set. If that didn’t work i would swing by my installing dealer and get them to order me a set. I wouldn’t try to guess weights and lengths.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm with @Rockcrawlerdude on this if only for the reason that I wouldn't want to risk having too strong of struts that may result in having to close the glass too hard or too much pressure causing the rear to shatter, potentially while driving.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I’d look at the numbers / info on the factory topper gas struts and order a new set. If that didn’t work i would swing by my installing dealer and get them to order me a set. I wouldn’t try to guess weights and lengths.
I used the numbers off the ones originally on the cap when I bought it used, new still cannot hold the door up, temperature doesn't matter. I am a 45min drive from any cap dealer/installer, so swinging by is not an option, waiting on manufacturer response. A buddy has the exact same cap, but the part number on his struts does not seem to exist, sent request to the strut manufacturer. The rear windows on these things are very similar if same cap style (cab height).

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I'm with @Rockcrawlerdude on this if only for the reason that I wouldn't want to risk having too strong of struts that may result in having to close the glass too hard or too much pressure causing the rear to shatter, potentially while driving.
Too much power on the struts can also damage the hinges if they’re also a hair too long

Users who are viewing this thread