Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
I own this car in the city during everyday driving. Without knowing more than a few minutes of a test ride on good roads when purchased, once I got it back to an city environment, it was immediately clear. This truck just rattles and skips over bad road conditions. Its so stiff its actually quite annoying. Anyone have added these air bag kits to the rear and do they make a differance? Thanks.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
do you have the air assist feature? also single rear wheel or dually?

b307a1

Reaction score
I own this car in the city during everyday driving. Without knowing more than a few minutes of a test ride on good roads when purchased, once I got it back to an city environment, it was immediately clear. This truck just rattles and skips over bad road conditions. Its so stiff its actually quite annoying. Anyone have added these air bag kits to the rear and do they make a differance? Thanks.
In what city...N.Y.C.?

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
My trim is a Big Horn. SRW. No air assist...and yes NYC. I haul a 10k camper and do a decent amount of renovation and hunting. So I know it sounds like it make no sense to have in the city but there is a reason lol. I had a 1/2 ton before this and the towing was at its max as well as the hitch weight. That’s why I went up to a 1 ton. I also want to get a fifth wheel in the future. Surprisingly the truck suspension handles great when it’s under a heavy load.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You bought a one ton truck your stuck with a one ton ride.... invest in some better shocks thats about all you can do airbags will just make it worse

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Tire brand and pressures?

The factory Transforce are pretty terrible all around incoluding ride comfort and the dealers usually leave the tires @ 90PSI.

Drop the tire pressure way down unless you're towing. I run 65PSI front 60PSI rear when not towing but also have Falken tires. Some run them even lower, and with a gasser you can, but I feel the front washes out too much below 65-70PSI with the diesel.

And yea, it's a one ton truck with rear leaf springs. Even with air ride, it's going to be "sporty."

b307a1

Reaction score
My trim is a Big Horn. SRW. No air assist...and yes NYC. I haul a 10k camper and do a decent amount of renovation and hunting. So I know it sounds like it make no sense to have in the city but there is a reason lol. I had a 1/2 ton before this and the towing was at its max as well as the hitch weight. That’s why I went up to a 1 ton. I also want to get a fifth wheel in the future. Surprisingly the truck suspension handles great when it’s under a heavy load.
Oh baby!.....NYC. You're a better man than I am!

A Bentley won't even smooth out those roads.

You are gonna be one hurting dude by the time you get rid of it.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
I ask because I'm in somewhat the same situation that you're in....except a bit worse. I have a 2019 3500 mega cab Hemi, with the air assist. it's that air assist feature that makes the ride worse that yours. I've been talking to Chris Willet over at Thuren...according to him, I'm driving the most rigid truck available. lucky me :rolleyes:
anyway, as said by others above, your two best options are a suspension upgrade and dropping your tire pressure. not having the air assist does afford you a lot more options suspension wise, so that's a good thing you got going.
there are solutions out there, you just have to decide what direction you're going to go.

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
I had no idea the air suspension works for an even stiffer ride! Like some of you said, it just is what it is. I'm already running the transforce tires @ 70psi. I agree they aint the greatest, but I'll wear em down a bit before changing them out. With the snow in the northeast this year, the snow/ice and plows have made everyday driving like an off road adventure. I'll keep my eyes out for something, who knows what aftermarket will create

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
I had no idea the air suspension works for an even stiffer ride! Like some of you said, it just is what it is. I'm already running the transforce tires @ 70psi. I agree they aint the greatest, but I'll wear em down a bit before changing them out. With the snow in the northeast this year, the snow/ice and plows have made everyday driving like an off road adventure. I'll keep my eyes out for something, who knows what aftermarket will create
I have a 3500 SRW with those same Transforce tires. I never run any higher than 65 psi in the front, even when towing 14000 lbs. Sometimes run them at 60 psi empty, but no lower because of the weight of the diesel engine. I run the rears at 80 psi with a max payload and down as low as 50 psi when empty. It seems to work for me. I have even wear at 33000 miles on the original tires. I have read where guys with DRW will go down to 35 psi and not have any problems. Let us know how this turns out for you, as I am looking at ordering a new 3500 DRW with the factory air suspension and would like to know if that is a mistake or not. Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't have TPMS. You may have the TPMS and don't want the light shining in your eyes. That is the first thing I would get rid of and learn how to use an old fashion tire gauge. It is much better to use preventative measures than to be alerted by the TPMS that you are already in trouble and it is too late.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Set the tires to the tire place card srw will be 60/60 and drw will be 60/50 for the most part

Users who are viewing this thread