Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Just found this thread. My 21 PW is sitting at the dealer right now for this issue. I already had little faith anything was going to be done about it, now I have none. Pretty ****ty for a $65k truck.

jb1069

Reaction score
I have the same problem as everyone else. I just joined this forum to stay up to date with this issue. Some of you stated this is not a problem but it is definitely a FLAW. I didn't expect a perfect truck but I did expect a quiet engine on start up for the money they charge. The 2 time I have at the dealer for an oil change I mentioned this. The first response was "We couldn't duplicate the noise" the 2nd response from just the oil change guy was "I definitely hear it, sounds like the injector chirping. We hear this noise a lot on the 6.4's. You will have to schedule an appointment with a tech." Has anyone else heard this diagnosis? I will be scheduling an appointment just so its on record with the dealer.

Russty__

Reaction score
It’s like driving a sewing machine each time. Lol. While it is frustrating, as long as it’s not damaging anything I’m fine with it. Also a few people mentioned it’s coming from the cats? Could it be an exhaust gas problem? Like not enough exhaust is being exited fast enough thus resulting in a pressurized squeal type noise. Has anyone with an aftermarket exhaust noticed it get more quiet?

Iajtywu

Reaction score
It’s like driving a sewing machine each time. Lol. While it is frustrating, as long as it’s not damaging anything I’m fine with it. Also a few people mentioned it’s coming from the cats? Could it be an exhaust gas problem? Like not enough exhaust is being exited fast enough thus resulting in a pressurized squeal type noise. Has anyone with an aftermarket exhaust noticed it get more quiet?
I bought my 19 with an aftermarket catback and it still has the squeek. There's gotta be a fix for it!

PraeXJ

Reaction score
Brand new 2021 6.4 here. 800 miles. I was wondering if I was the only one. Guess not.

bgenlvtex

Reaction score
Mine now has about 2800 miles on it and has stopped completely. Has made no squeal for at least 500 miles and hope it stays that way.

Mine however was definitely from the front of the engine and not underneath

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Are all you complainers putting 89 in it? I’ve never put regular fuel in mine and I don’t think it makes any noise worth complaining about.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Are all you complainers putting 89 in it? I’ve never put regular fuel in mine and I don’t think it makes any noise worth complaining about.
I am using 89, I may have “noted” this mysterious sound, but never complained:)
In fact, I like it, it lets me know the truck is running;)

Iajtywu

Reaction score
I was just wondering about the fuel yesterday and added some seafoam. I'm going to switch to premium now and see if it makes a differance.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
I can appreciate people’s attention to detail when it comes to their trucks.
I usually get pretty OCD/uptight about any variances that “I” perceive as abnormal.
In the end, forums like this help but my mind at ease.
If there isn’t a recall or TSB issued, I will consider it one of the joys of owning a Ram :)
As long as these trucks haul and don’t leave me on the side of the road or broke, I am happy.

bgenlvtex

Reaction score

LOL, "complainers" Accepting mediocre crap is exactly what encourages manufacturers to produce mediocre crap.

I put 160K on my 2016 and other than the lifter tick that diminished and went away with time there was never any abnormal noise from the engine bay. The brand new one squealed at start up like a dry bearing . It did quit, but it didn't fix itself and I won't be surprised when it manifests itself as a larger concern farther on down the road.

mcarey

Reaction score
Got just shy of 1000 on mine, and it does this. Was planning on a trip to the dealer, but now I'm thinking that'll be a waste of time.

@RamCares has there been any progress, internally, made on this? I'd rather not go to the dealership to be told "eh it's normal, deal with it", if that's the likely response.

Last edited:

Russty__

Reaction score
Got just shy of 1000 on mine, and it does this. Was planning on a trip to the dealer, but now I'm thinking that'll be a waste of time.

@RamCares has there been any progress, internally, made on this? I'd rather not go to the dealership to be told "eh it's normal, deal with it", if that's the likely response.
I agree. Also my fear. I’ll just live with it till something breaks.

@JC

Reaction score
I only run 91 since it's non-ethanol here, occasionally you can find non-eth 87 but it's rare. Never had any squeaky squeal here.

mcarey

Reaction score
I only run 91 since it's non-ethanol here, occasionally you can find non-eth 87 but it's rare. Never had any squeaky squeal here.
That's because the noise being discussed here has nothing to do with anything that octane would impact.

@JC

Reaction score
That's because the noise being discussed here has nothing to do with anything that octane would impact.
Yep just another point of data, for the people who were asking about it above you.

SA58

Reaction score
To continue the squeaking could be from the bottom shield or the manifold doughnut. It's really hard to pin point it. I squirted some lucas motor additive around the doughnut connection and around the bottom shield. Started it up and the squeaking was much quieter and stopped sooner. Oiled when truck was cold and then again when after it warmed up. Let it soak a little while......oil smoked and smelled a bit but burned off. I'll try later to use a mechanic's stethoscope to see if that helps to pin point the squeak.
Hi. Did you pinpoint the squeak? I took delivery of a 2021 PW last week and it has this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread