Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My customer complaint was noted on the work order as NO CHIRPING NOISE FOUND. NO ABNORMAL NOISES.

Turn up the volume and it's clear as a bell chipmunk.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
personally I think it's ridiculous. I love my truck!! But his comment is that I spent 92k and my truck chirps. Unacceptable to him. such a princess. SO...If I can get a deal on a new(er) TRX, will trade my chirping 2019 PW for the 2021 Chirping TRX if RAM buys it back!!
Chirps tires through every gear? Princess indeed.
he’s barking up the wrong tree. The motor sounds like it’s supposed to.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Birds chirp and everybody wants birds in their back yard. People put out feeders to attract more of them.

Y’all’s trucks chirp a little and I can’t even hear the dang chirp over your loud whining.

Thanks for sharing.

I hate F birds. Especially Grey Jays aka camp robbers. Those little bastards tell all the Deer and Elk where you are and steal stuff.

They also crap all over everything. The woodpeckers also like to pound on my furnace flue cap. I don't shoot the birds, but peck on my house...

Rabbits. Those rotten destroyers of all things also get shot. The open space behind the house is a DMZ of dead rabbits. Farther out are the dead P-dogs. I shoot them too.

I see a theme here. Hmmm. Pests get taken out.

That said, the sound is more like a cricket and if you've ever had a cricket get into your house or garage, and it didn't bug you I don't know what to say. Must be deaf.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Some of these post are getting real old. now we have trucks that chirp ? holly crap olla.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

I hate F birds. Especially Grey Jays aka camp robbers. Those little bastards tell all the Deer and Elk where you are and steal stuff.

They also crap all over everything. The woodpeckers also like to pound on my furnace flue cap. I don't shoot the birds, but peck on my house...

Rabbits. Those rotten destroyers of all things also get shot. The open space behind the house is a DMZ of dead rabbits. Farther out are the dead P-dogs. I shoot them too.

I see a theme here. Hmmm. Pests get taken out.

That said, the sound is more like a cricket and if you've ever had a cricket get into your house or garage, and it didn't bug you I don't know what to say. Must be deaf.
Yours is different. Yours has a noise it’s not supposed to have. The 6.4 hemi complainers are complaining about inherent sounds the platform has which means nothing is wrong.

Squatch

Reaction score
It’s echolocation, technology is getting really advanced in these trucks, you can drive in the middle of night without headlights with that feature. Bat truck is real.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
My truck uses it’s echolocation to search out Moose and try to hunt them :eek: . Where do I turn that off In U ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yours is different. Yours has a noise it’s not supposed to have. The 6.4 hemi complainers are complaining about inherent sounds the platform has which means nothing is wrong.

Roger that.

Sorry, the comment just seemed to be targeted at the video I posted which was only meant to be informative. It doesn't really bug me that much, but is heard outside the truck and is a bit annoying.

My biggest concern, as others with the same issue on Cummins trucks have stated, is the potential for a breakdown. Those are always a possibility, but something like a wonky fixed or tensioner idler pulley that can be fixed before it becomes a problem should be addressed. I captured it to show the dealer when it goes back in for the other items they didn't fix.

Ramwreck2019

Reaction score
So, I am a dealer tech trying to investigate this noise and I want to come on here and save my fellow advisors, techs and dealer personnel from the unfair judgment you are passing on them. Yes, this is happening on all of our lot cars, there is no fix proposed by FCA yet, nor any indication if they have an open case via TSB. Sometimes the noise doesn't do it, it definitely seems to be ambient temperature related. This is an issue for engineering, you are expecting something from a dealership they cannot give. We don't design and build them, we maintain and repair them. The dealership isn't blowing you off, the advisor isn't blowing you off, we just have no fix for this at this point. We understand it is annoying and you want a resolution but you are asking the wrong people. You need to contact FCA. It currently looks like we are facing a design issue, dealers do no design and redesign, they do not have that authority or ability. So if the fix is to install a redesigned part, we need to get a redesigned part first to install. It would be nice if we were treated like humans and with respect and not accused of blowing you off simply because we have no ability to provide a resolution yet. It certainly makes me less motivated to do the research that led me here in an attempt to satisfy a customer. Yes, I joined just to say that.
Let me start by saying, I salute you for investigating the noise. I also understand your point about redesigned parts and engineering etc. I also understand unreasonable customers. However in too many cases this issue is being ignored by dealerships and technicians for that matter.

Having dealers tell us there is no problem, the noise is normal, trucks on the lot do it. That is being blown off And doesn’t help anyone except FCA.
Sounds like there isn’t time for the dealer to help cause there isn’t any money in researching the issue.
Problem with us contacting FCA is they don’t like to hear from us, they want to hear from the FCA trained technicians that there is a problem. That’s why ram cares gets us expedited appointments etc. Dealers, Techs and Customers should all work together and the issue would get fixed in a more timely manner. Waiting a few years for a fix could be the life of the vehicle. That’s too long. It’s probably some type of exhaust leak. Find a fix, build the parts, ship the parts......it’s funny cause most of the 6.4 rams ive heard have this sqeak, squeal, whatever you want to call it , 6.4 in my wife’s charger doesn’t have these issues.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Reaction score
LOL, "normal", no.

I traded a 2016 2500 6.4 ,it made no noise on start up other than the "tick" that went away entirely before 50k miles.

2021 sounds like a dry bearing in an accessory. Definitely at the front of the engine, goes away after 5 minutes or so.

I have no faith in Skip and Gomer at the dealership doing any amount of diagnostic work. No diagnostic code means no fix.

I had similar ******** with my Gladiator, wind noise at the front of the right front passenger door, Skip and Gomer said "normal" , I spent a few hours on it and an $8 sail panel and fixed it.

Russty__

Reaction score
My truck has been making this noise since I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on it. As long as it still drives and performs well, I’ll keep driving it until FCA comes up with a fix/recall. It’s nice that ram cares monitors this and thank you for doing so.

newbeco

Reaction score
My 2021 Tradesman has 350 miles, and has had this noise since I drove it off the lot (I didn't hear it during the test drive, but never started it with the door open) . My only contribution to the discussion is to note that I've watched every video I can find of someone starting up a 6.4 HEMI Ram (including glowing reviews), and have yet to hear one that did NOT make this squeaking sound. I don't love it, but it does appear to be a "feature" of the trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread