Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

Barrman

Reaction score
Picked up new 2500 this week and it chirps too. Very frustrated to see this has been going on for years and there is little hope my dealership will be able or willing to do anything to fix it. $50+k for a truck that looks great, drives great, and sounds like my 78 Nova I had as my first car.....

whitexc

Reaction score
'79 Fairmont.....it actually sounded....better?! And it was a fox body car so it was cool anyways.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

raven_dt

Reaction score
Picked up new 2500 this week and it chirps too. Very frustrated to see this has been going on for years and there is little hope my dealership will be able or willing to do anything to fix it. $50+k for a truck that looks great, drives great, and sounds like my 78 Nova I had as my first car.....
A little frustrating to hear a sound like your alternator bearing is bad on your brand new truck...EVERY time you start your truck.

whitexc

Reaction score
A little frustrating to hear a sound like your alternator bearing is bad on your brand new truck...EVERY time you start your truck.
At least you have a blame there....at this point we all just have $hitty sounding trucks.

raven_dt

Reaction score
At least you have a blame there....at this point we all just have $hitty sounding trucks.

I'm just going to tell people, 'it sounds like that when I start it with the red performance key fob'

jadmt

Reaction score

well the good news is I had to have the alternator replaced on my 2020 Power Wagon and the chirp is still there lol.

Barrman

Reaction score
Apparently denying there is a problem has paid off....."Ram tops J.D. Power initial quality rankings for the first time.". From automotive news article today.

Come on Ram....fix my squeak!

Last edited:

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
I had my 5 week old truck in for service to see if they can fix the chirping and my non-functioning wireless charger and they clearly were familiar with the chirping issue. The service manager mentioned they heard replacing the "Y" portion of the exhaust makes the chirping go away but it is not covered by any warranty etc because as far as they are concerned it is normal. Has anyone tried this before, if so has it worked?

I'm up in Canada so the chirping noise gets worse (and lasts longer) the colder it gets and is driving me nuts, and I am definitely tired of people asking me what is wrong with my truck. My co-worker has a 2020 Big Horn with the same issue but my 2021 definitely is louder than his, sucks spending over $90k on a truck and it sounds like my old Dodge Shaddow I had for my first car.

mcarey

Reaction score
I had my 5 week old truck in for service to see if they can fix the chirping and my non-functioning wireless charger and they clearly were familiar with the chirping issue. The service manager mentioned they heard replacing the "Y" portion of the exhaust makes the chirping go away but it is not covered by any warranty etc because as far as they are concerned it is normal. Has anyone tried this before, if so has it worked?

I'm up in Canada so the chirping noise gets worse (and lasts longer) the colder it gets and is driving me nuts, and I am definitely tired of people asking me what is wrong with my truck. My co-worker has a 2020 Big Horn with the same issue but my 2021 definitely is louder than his, sucks spending over $90k on a truck and it sounds like my old Dodge Shaddow I had for my first car.
What I don't get is that something as simple as replacing that section of the exhaust, should have been tested and verified by someone here (or the other forums) ages ago. That doesn't seem to be the case though....

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Is that section clamped/flanged and not welded?

blackshoesblackhat

Reaction score
My 2019 made a terrible chirping / squeeling sound until I got under the truck with a rubber mallet and started banging on the exhaust. Just past the the exhaust manifold there is two catalytic converters on the passenger side. When banging and pushing on them I heard the noise I heard when starting up the truck. Ram welded a rod to both of the converters I’m guessing to keep them a bit more stable. Well I grabbed the trusty sawsall and cut that rod in half, after the cut was made half that rod fell on my chest!! Looking on the side that was “welded” to the other converter I saw the tiniest spot weld I’ve seen. I’m assuming that the spot weld broke loose and that what was causing the noise because I have not heard that noise sense I cut the rod!! Hope this helps everyone!!

Squatch

Reaction score
Haha, I’d be careful what
My 2019 made a terrible chirping / squeeling sound until I got under the truck with a rubber mallet and started banging on the exhaust. Just past the the exhaust manifold there is two catalytic converters on the passenger side. When banging and pushing on them I heard the noise I heard when starting up the truck. Ram welded a rod to both of the converters I’m guessing to keep them a bit more stable. Well I grabbed the trusty sawsall and cut that rod in half, after the cut was made half that rod fell on my chest!! Looking on the side that was “welded” to the other converter I saw the tiniest spot weld I’ve seen. I’m assuming that the spot weld broke loose and that what was causing the noise because I have not heard that noise sense I cut the rod!! Hope this helps everyone!!
I’d be careful about where and when you decide to start hacking at your cats with a sawzall nowadays. Might have a run in with the law ;)

adam6078

Reaction score
I guess I am joining the club. Just picked up my 2021 Laramie 2500 and now with a little over 600 miles the noise has started. Really interested if anyone has done anything with the Y that keeps being mentioned.

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
I guess I am joining the club. Just picked up my 2021 Laramie 2500 and now with a little over 600 miles the noise has started. Really interested if anyone has done anything with the Y that keeps being mentioned.
I have had mine in twice now to be looked at and will be trying another dealer this time. So far they keep telling me it is normal, although mine is louder and more annoying than any of the ones on the lot. I have to shut my truck off in the drive through line in the morning to order a coffee with how the chirping resonates in the line and it is getting worse and lasting longer the colder it gets. Now my steering wheel is making a grinding sound when I turn it.

barely 3000km on my $100,000 truck and I want to trade it for something else. I'm tired of being told "this is normal". Looking for a good exhaust buy in my area for an extra opinion as well

snayte

Reaction score
My '22 makes this sound, I am not letting it bother me. The wife seemed to be annoyed but oh well she will have to learn to live with it.

b307a1

Reaction score
My '19 has it and I just picked up my '22 3500 chassis cab it has it also. Based on my experience along with just about every other 6.4 HD owner it is a normal characteristic of those vehicles.

It doesn't effect the performance and it goes away once it warms up so, to me it's not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread