Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

mcarey

Reaction score
Bought mine a month ago and would exchange it for a Cummins if possible in a heartbeat. I thought the noise would go away but it is driving me crazy.
Is it really that bad? It goes away after a minute or two. And I can't even hear it, in my garage, if the windows are up and the door is shut.

Badunit

Reaction score
I am just surprised no one has figured it out yet after at least 7 years of it being a problem; not Ram, no repair shops, no backyard mechanics, no one. Can it really be that hard to figure out?

clawdog79

Reaction score
Bought mine a month ago and would exchange it for a Cummins if possible in a heartbeat. I thought the noise would go away but it is driving me crazy.

And then might have to put dielectric grease on your belt to prevent it from chirping. One thing is for sure, Hemi or CTD, Ram knows how to produce a noisy truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badunit

Reaction score
The only time the belt on my Cummins squealed was when they replaced the water pump and it got soaked in coolant. I've had it 6 years. I had my prior one for 11 years and it never squealed.

clawdog79

Reaction score
The only time the belt on my Cummins squealed was when they replaced the water pump and it got soaked in coolant. I've had it 6 years. I had my prior one for 11 years and it never squealed.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to some 2019+ CTD models. There are threads on this forum about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcarey

Reaction score
I am just surprised no one has figured it out yet after at least 7 years of it being a problem; not Ram, no repair shops, no backyard mechanics, no one. Can it really be that hard to figure out?
Apparently. If you find a fix, you'll make quite a bit of money selling whatever that fix is to all the people dealing with it.
I just start the truck with my windows and doors closed. Can't even hear it with the noise cancelling. In fact, the first time I even noticed it was when my wife was moving the truck for me.

@JC

Reaction score
It can't be any worse than the brake squeal.

Cush

Reaction score
So far I'm pretty happy with my new truck. I've got about 1500 miles on it and the only real issue is the rear sliding window doesn't want to close sometime and makes a ticking noise. What is driving me crazy though is the squealing noise at start up. It sounds like a belt, gets worse when you put it in gear, and then almost goes away once the truck is fully warmed up. From browsing other forums it appears this is a very common problem that a lot of 6.4 trucks have. Some owners have claimed it is the exhaust and I have crawled under the truck at start up and it does sound like it is coming from the exhaust between the engine and the cats. I haven't been able to find any information on a fix or solution to the noise. It's a little embarrassing when people want to check out your new truck and they immediately ask what that noise is.
I just bought mine last Friday, used at 11,680 on odometer. That squeak is there, even at that mileage. YES!!! It is most embarrassing! First thing out of my wife's mouth, was that truck is squeaking! I'm taking it to the dealer next Friday to see what the deal is. I'm not understanding how an exhaust would squeak though? Its clearly sounds like a belt isn't lined up correctly. And from all the post I've seen, it's definitely a manufacturer issue. The fact that the once the truck warms up, it tends to go away; kind of puts me in the thought that the belt, or pulley has warmed up enough not squeak. I am interested in seeing if the upgraded exhaust changes that. I just don't see how it will. Who knows, maybe I'm completely off here. But that squeak has gotta go!!!

Cush

Reaction score
I just bought mine last Friday, used at 11,680 on odometer. That squeak is there, even at that mileage. YES!!! It is most embarrassing! First thing out of my wife's mouth, was that truck is squeaking! I'm taking it to the dealer next Friday to see what the deal is. I'm not understanding how an exhaust would squeak though? Its clearly sounds like a belt isn't lined up correctly. And from all the post I've seen, it's definitely a manufacturer issue. The fact that the once the truck warms up, it tends to go away; kind of puts me in the thought that the belt, or pulley has warmed up enough not squeak. I am interested in seeing if the upgraded exhaust changes that. I just don't see how it will. Who knows, maybe I'm completely off here. But that squeak has gotta go!!!

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Good luck ;)

Squatch

Reaction score
Don’t waste your time

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Magnaflow direct fit muffler makes no difference. I hope you make progress with the dealer for all of our sakes, but Im not holding my breath.

Squatch

Reaction score
My Borla system made no diff either. I’m going to be pulling off the wheel liners soon and getting a closer listen to it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I have the "tinging sound" in mine when cold. I call it "tinging" rather than a squeak.
It goes away after the truck warms up some. It sounds like it is coming from the merger of the two pipes into one after the cats.
Talked to my exhaust guy and told him what I heard and the symptoms. He says it may just be the metal expanding in some of the joints. Once it's warm,. it seals off everything and quits moving/expanding, so the noise goes away/stops.

When I get time one weekend, I'll climb under her and do a more through check when its a cold start.

Sorry but I did not read thru all 12 pages so don't know if this has been addressed already.

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
my 2021 6.4L Hemi has the same squeaking issue when cold started. Lasts about 5 minutes or so till the truck warms up (not looking forward to winter) and the sound is driving me nuts. Started the truck the other day when my brother came over to see it and first thing he said was "what is wrong with the truck, why is it making that noise".

whitexc

Reaction score
Pretty much embarrassing.

"Wow, your truck looks great"

"Thanks"

"What's that noise?"

"Just the Ram eating..."

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bgenlvtex

Reaction score
my 2021 6.4L Hemi has the same squeaking issue when cold started. Lasts about 5 minutes or so till the truck warms up (not looking forward to winter) and the sound is driving me nuts. Started the truck the other day when my brother came over to see it and first thing he said was "what is wrong with the truck, why is it making that noise".
Tell him that is a feature not a defect, it repels rodents.

Some chucklehead from Stellantis will read that and next thing you know they'll be advertising it and charging extra to remove it, which of course they won't be able to do but that won't stop them from charging for it.

Of well, if I have to chose between Ford engine failures, GM transmission failures or a squeaking Ram, I'll take the squeaking Ram

Cush

Reaction score
Magnaflow direct fit muffler makes no difference. I hope you make progress with the dealer for all of our sakes, but Im not holding my breath.
So putting on the Magna Flow exhaust didn't change anything? Was that the complete set up? Like from the headers back?

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
So putting on the Magna Flow exhaust didn't change anything? Was that the complete set up? Like from the headers back?
No. Direct fit is just a muffler swap. Thats it. No change at all, except making the truck sound way better once the chirp goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread