Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 HD Security Gateway Module Location for Programmer

pdavey

Reaction score
There is nothing quite like taking apart the whole dash on a brand new truck to find a module that is so far stuck into the truck that you have to take the dash apart.....

Well it wasn’t quite that far back but you had to know where to look.

When I bought my 2019 Ram Power Wagon one of the first things I did was upgrade the tire (separate thread for that) to Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R17.

Since the truck is so new the dealers had no clue how to set the tire pressure size and encouraged me to find a tuner of some sort.

After much research I decided on the Tazer Ram. Lots of features that can be found on their website.

2018+ trucks now have a Security Gateway Module that helps to protect the trucks computer from being hacked and in order to make any setting changes you either have to have the security codes and $40,000 computer from FCA or you have to bypass the module with a little bypass module.

Thank you to Russ and Mike for their help in disassembling the 2019 and making sure we put all the bolts back as well as Tracy from Mike’s dealership who sent us the exact location.

Location of the Security Gateway Module (Behind the front instrument cluster - Highlighted in orange):

For 2018’s it is behind the radio in the center console. For 2019 1500s I understand it is under the steering wheel near the drivers feet.

Here are a few more pictures in taking apart the instrument cluster:

You have to remove the panel to the left of the steering wheel (looks like a triangle) as well as the push button start on the right (also a triangle). Both are held in with clips.

You then have to remove the instrument panel cover (held in by clips only - around the instrument cluster) and the steering wheel cowl which is held in by clips and two small bolts as seen above.

After you take those parts off the instrument cluster is held in by 4 bolts as seen in these pictures above.

After removing the instrument cluster you should see the security gateway module way in the back. Squeeze your hand in there and unplug both clips and then plug the bypass module in.

Picture of the module plugged in.

A few notes:
- Doesn’t matter which programmer you use you will need a bypass module
- The bypass module needs to be unplugged when you take it back to the dealership for any updates to the computer
- Unplugging the bypass module does not erase any settings that you have changed using the programmer

PotvinSux

Reaction score
I had anxiety just looking at these pictures!

Am I wrongly assuming that eventually they will be able to change the speedometer by plugging into the onboard computer? At the dealership?

pdavey

Reaction score
It may or may not happen according to my dealer. They said that for the Jeeps in 2018 there was a service contract that can be purchased to do modifications. They said they didn't get any info for Rams in 2018 or 2019.

They also indicated when they did upfits they would use a third party programmer.

All in all it isn't that difficult but you need to be careful and patient.

WildCanuck

Reaction score
It would be nice if it could be moved below its location so it would be accessible from under the dash, above the pedals. An extension harness would be needed but I'm sure it could be made simply enough. That way you only have to rip your truck apart once.... just saying.

AFF

Reaction score
Good god can they make it any harder? Sure makes a person want to do all their mods at once or make an extension cable and relocate the SGM.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the link for Kaodtech. Anyone that goes by Deereguy can’t be half bad! This looks like the best option.

Brav

Reaction score
Thank you for this, just used it to install mine.. bought this one before I knew of the easy kind..

Wasnt that hard, but as mentioned, a little scary.

Westfield

Reaction score
Is it possible they wanted it hard to access? First rule of computer security is to insulate from physical access.

Marshfly

Reaction score
I just know that taking a dash apart has a tendency to create rattles. When I saw that as the initial method, I know I needed an option B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HORam

Reaction score
There is nothing quite like taking apart the whole dash on a brand new truck to find a module that is so far stuck into the truck that you have to take the dash apart.....

Well it wasn’t quite that far back but you had to know where to look.

When I bought my 2019 Ram Power Wagon one of the first things I did was upgrade the tire (separate thread for that) to Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R17.

Since the truck is so new the dealers had no clue how to set the tire pressure size and encouraged me to find a tuner of some sort.

After much research I decided on the Tazer Ram. Lots of features that can be found on their website.

2018+ trucks now have a Security Gateway Module that helps to protect the trucks computer from being hacked and in order to make any setting changes you either have to have the security codes and $40,000 computer from FCA or you have to bypass the module with a little bypass module.

Thank you to Russ and Mike for their help in disassembling the 2019 and making sure we put all the bolts back as well as Tracy from Mike’s dealership who sent us the exact location.

Location of the Security Gateway Module (Behind the front instrument cluster - Highlighted in orange):

For 2018’s it is behind the radio in the center console. For 2019 1500s I understand it is under the steering wheel near the drivers feet.

Here are a few more pictures in taking apart the instrument cluster:

You have to remove the panel to the left of the steering wheel (looks like a triangle) as well as the push button start on the right (also a triangle). Both are held in with clips.

You then have to remove the instrument panel cover (held in by clips only - around the instrument cluster) and the steering wheel cowl which is held in by clips and two small bolts as seen above.

After you take those parts off the instrument cluster is held in by 4 bolts as seen in these pictures above.

After removing the instrument cluster you should see the security gateway module way in the back. Squeeze your hand in there and unplug both clips and then plug the bypass module in.

Picture of the module plugged in.

A few notes:
- Doesn’t matter which programmer you use you will need a bypass module
- The bypass module needs to be unplugged when you take it back to the dealership for any updates to the computer
- Unplugging the bypass module does not erase any settings that you have changed using the programmer

I ordered the Tazer Ram about a month ago. I have been less than thrilled with their customer service since then. The theory behind the product is great. I love the features that you get access to, however, in my case several did not work. They orginally sent me just the Tazer with no bypass cable even though it was listed on the shipping label. After they sent that out which took a week to arrive... I was able to hook up and use a couple of features but was missing access to several that I ponied up for.
Working features that I wanted were Light Shows, Auto Mirror Fold but Navigation in Motion and Camera delay options are not available. Also the Global Window up/down Function does not work. After several emails back and forth... mostly them telling me I had it hooked into the wrong port or I needed to reboot. They realized I have a 2019 and that the Security Gateway Bypass, SGW, was needed behind the guage cluster. So I agreed to return the bypass that they sent me and they would mail the SGW out. Here is my problem. I use the light shows daily for work and hate to send my cable and loose functionality for the shipping times plus I will have to make time for installation which does not look super simple. I asked them to ship the SGW and i would return the cable once I had them swapped. NO SUCH LUCK.

Sorry for the rant... Do all the functions work as they should on your TAZER with the SGW installed.
Mainly window up/ down from the keyfob
Navigation in Motion
Double Tap Mute button for Quick Camera access

PapaJon96

Reaction score

BGWS

Reaction score
I see the green block but I am trying to plug in the infotainment SWG bypass and don't know what plugs to unplug and connect to the bypass

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
162b3fd091adf308e5cf170918c9a23d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread