Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019, 3500 diesel particulate filter gauge

C.D.Ham

Reaction score
My Ram-3500 had the exhaust system maintenance message come on and off twice yesterday. It is currently off. When I look at the diesel particulate filter gauge it is not registering anything at all. Is it drivable?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
What are your driving conditions like? Lots of idle? Recently do a freeway run? How about air temperature you're operating in? Could be an electrical anomaly, DEF sensor/injector/heater acting up or the DPF filter flow sensor acting up.

If it pops up again, go see a dealer and have them diagnose.

MegaDave

Reaction score
My Ram-3500 had the exhaust system maintenance message come on and off twice yesterday. It is currently off. When I look at the diesel particulate filter gauge it is not registering anything at all. Is it drivable?

I think it’s common to not have anything on the gauge. I’ve only seen mine at 10
Percent one time but quickly went away. I don’t believe it to be an accurate gauge and many people report it doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.D.Ham

Reaction score
What are your driving conditions like? Lots of idle? Recently do a freeway run? How about air temperature you're operating in? Could be an electrical anomaly, DEF sensor/injector/heater acting up or the DPF filter flow sensor acting up.

If it pops up again, go see a dealer and have them diagnose.
Thanks for the input.

C.D.Ham

Reaction score
I think it’s common to not have anything on the gauge. I’ve only seen mine at 10
Percent one time but quickly went away. I don’t believe it to be an accurate gauge and many people report it doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
mine never showed anything but zero, in the 10k miles that it was important.

Mine has never shown anything either. Nor do I get any indicator or message showing active regen, although I think I smell it sometimes. Do you ever see an active regen message?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
it will show the active regen message on the dpf screen of you can catch it. otherwise you can't miss the idle change...

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
it will show the active regen message on the dpf screen of you can catch it. otherwise you can't miss the idle change...
I have had it on the DPF screen when I smelled it. Usually just after a short 10-mile drive on the freeway. I started running on the DPF screen thinking I might need to extend my freeway drive due to a regen notice.

Sapper-8

Reaction score
i have a question concerning my Ram 3500 HO particulate gauge. Lately, I have noticed the gauge isn't changing, it is still at the same level of particulate percentage(gauge reads about 25-30%) even though I have driven 50 to 100 miles on the interstate. Is this normal or should I have gone through a regeneration to empty the particulate filter? Is it possible I am getting wrapped up in gauge watching and am overly concerned over nothing? I have not received any messages stating there is a problem or there are no check engine lights on.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
i have a question concerning my Ram 3500 HO particulate gauge. Lately, I have noticed the gauge isn't changing, it is still at the same level of particulate percentage(gauge reads about 25-30%) even though I have driven 50 to 100 miles on the interstate. Is this normal or should I have gone through a regeneration to empty the particulate filter? Is it possible I am getting wrapped up in gauge watching and am overly concerned over nothing? I have not received any messages stating there is a problem or there are no check engine lights on.

What’s speeds on the interstate? What are the outside temps?

But generally sounds fairly normal. Often 50-100 miles of interstate should be enough to passively clean the DPF, but not always. Doing 85 in 22° weather last night and my DPF was barely above 600°, so not much passive regen action.

25-30% isn’t enough to trigger a regen, so it will likely occur on the 24 hour mark from the last regen.

Sapper-8

Reaction score
70 - 75 mph, temperature outside is in the 50-60s . I am probably watching my gauges to much, i just remember the regens happening more during the warmer weather. Maybe my vehicle isn't getting hot enough for it to have a regen. I appreciate your information concerning this issue.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
70 - 75 mph, temperature outside is in the 50-60s . I am probably watching my gauges to much, i just remember the regens happening more during the warmer weather. Maybe my vehicle isn't getting hot enough for it to have a regen. I appreciate your information concerning this issue.

Under most driving conditions the regens only happen every 24 hours of run time. If they happen more frequently then you likely do a lot of city driving and/or idling.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nothing of concern if you were getting close to full i would start to be concerned.

Gkockrow

Reaction score
I would like to hear from Ram Cares about the expected accuracy of the gage. I have 10,000 miles with majority hauling 10,000 lbs fifth wheel. 3500,2022 SRW, HO engine. Never have see anything but 0.

flan

Reaction score
I would like to hear from Ram Cares about the expected accuracy of the gage. I have 10,000 miles with majority hauling 10,000 lbs fifth wheel. 3500,2022 SRW, HO engine. Never have see anything but 0.
You will not hear from ramcares when it comes to technical issues/questions. It’s not their job, they are basically a social media team helping people schedule and track repairs with a dealership that they would not know how to do so or were reluctant to do so otherwise.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats because you are doing a passive Regen when hauling that kind of weight so it wont build up for the most part… in the 53k km i had a DPF only 3 times did it show anything and it was minimal

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Based on your use the gauge is accurate.

Anytime the DPF is above 600°F there is passive regen. Towing a 10K trailer will generally put the DPF temps above 800° on the flats and above 900° on the hills. You should have no appreciable DPF soot loading at those temps.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Based on your use the gauge is accurate.

Anytime the DPF is above 600°F there is passive regen. Towing a 10K trailer will generally put the DPF temps above 800° on the flats and above 900° on the hills. You should have no appreciable DPF soot loading at those temps.
Technically, doesn't it trigger at 662 degrees?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Technically, doesn't it trigger at 662 degrees?

I don’t know I’d trigger is the correct word, but I’ve heard 600°F, 300°C, 350°C, 600°C, etc. every article seems to have a different temp associate with passive regen. 600°F is where I have personally seen passive regen working.

I know that above 600°F I start to see a reduction in the DPF gauge, if it’s above 0, or the DPF backpressure on my CTS. It’s noticeably slower than above 800°F, but in the 500°’s nothing happens.

That’s all off EGT3, which is DPF outlet. So it stands to reason that the DPF could be hotter than EGT3.

Users who are viewing this thread