Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change - Drain Plug Failure

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I did the first oil change on my 2021 3500 HO 4x4 SB today, a little early at 11,364 miles. What I found was surprising. The oil was black, nothing like how clean the oil was in my 2004 HO at each change. I was happy that draining into a graduated container, I drained out an ounce or so over 2-3/4 gallons. Add in what was in the filter and it looks like no oil was burned during the break-in. I pulled a 5th wheel on a 1750 mile trip, including a 30 mile pull up into the Rockies to about 7400 feet, a couple weeks before this oil change.

Now for the surprising find; my oil drain plug appears to have a stress fracture, about 40% around the circumference of the flange. When I loosened it, it felt tight, no different than what would be expected. I purchased a new plug from the dealer, and it looks to be of a higher quality than what I removed.

I wanted to post this, and suggest everyone look closely at their plugs. It is very easy to see on mine. The metal looks very similar to what I have found on some Chinese machinery, who's parts failed with the metal actually crumbling almost like sand would.

Here are some pictures of the original plug and the one I picked up today. The new one is next to the torque wrench. Also, if anyone is curious, the torque specifications for the plug are molded into the plug. 35 lb ft is the number.

Attachments

• PXL_20211004_212023602.jpg
    PXL_20211004_212023602.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 136
  • PXL_20211004_212806028.jpg
    PXL_20211004_212806028.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 134

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I tried to purchase a new drain plug from my local Cummins dealer, but they said because it was a 2021 model still under warranty, I had to purchase the parts from the RAM dealer. I have bought quite a few parts from this Cummins dealer for my 2004 and there was never a problem with doing that. This parts department has always been extremely helpful, going above and beyond what would be expected, so I know it's not because they didn't want to bother with making a sale. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I tried to purchase a new drain plug from my local Cummins dealer, but they said because it was a 2021 model still under warranty, I had to purchase the parts from the RAM dealer. I have bought quite a few parts from this Cummins dealer for my 2004 and there was never a problem with doing that. This parts department has always been extremely helpful, going above and beyond what would be expected, so I know it's not because they didn't want to bother with making a sale. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Should have told them its for an older engine as it would be the same, im guessing they didnt have any info for the 21 engine and did not want to risk you getting the wrong part incase something had changed….

That is not a failure just a casting defect that didn't get machined out im sure it would have never failed

Squatch

Reaction score
Should have told them its for an older engine as it would be the same, im guessing they didnt have any info for the 21 engine and did not want to risk you getting the wrong part incase something had changed….

That is not a failure just a casting defect that didn't get machined out im sure it would have never failed
Haha, exact same thing I was thinking, I would have slapped that baby right back on there without a second thought.

jeffn

Reaction score
I did the first oil change on my 2021 3500 HO 4x4 SB today, a little early at 11,364 miles. What I found was surprising. The oil was black, nothing like how clean the oil was in my 2004 HO at each change. I was happy that draining into a graduated container, I drained out an ounce or so over 2-3/4 gallons. Add in what was in the filter and it looks like no oil was burned during the break-in. I pulled a 5th wheel on a 1750 mile trip, including a 30 mile pull up into the Rockies to about 7400 feet, a couple weeks before this oil change.

Now for the surprising find; my oil drain plug appears to have a stress fracture, about 40% around the circumference of the flange. When I loosened it, it felt tight, no different than what would be expected. I purchased a new plug from the dealer, and it looks to be of a higher quality than what I removed.

I wanted to post this, and suggest everyone look closely at their plugs. It is very easy to see on mine. The metal looks very similar to what I have found on some Chinese machinery, who's parts failed with the metal actually crumbling almost like sand would.

Here are some pictures of the original plug and the one I picked up today. The new one is next to the torque wrench. Also, if anyone is curious, the torque specifications for the plug are molded into the plug. 35 lb ft is the number.
I replaced my drain plug with one of these. Makes oil changes a breeze.364BB4E6-F084-4286-B744-3D9BA4486A00.jpeg

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
your old 2004 h.o. had clean oil at each change..?

Up until the last couple of years that I owned it. It had a pretty easy life, never really working it hard. It was an eye opener when I looked at the oil from my 2021. I understand why the newer trucks seem dirtier, with the emissions systems mucking things up. The '04 had about 210,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
As soon as i saw the TQ wrench out for the drain plug i understood

Understood what?

A standard bolt, I would not be to concerned with the actual torque applied, depending on its application. The relatively thin shoulder on the drain plugs and the internal bore are a different matter. Also, having a drain bolt fail is a bit more costly than most any other fastener on the truck.

I did say stress fracture when describing the "flaw," but it probably is more than likely a result of the forging. Either way, it is thin spot in the flange, and the picture doesn't clearly show how deep and pronounced it is.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Up until the last couple of years that I owned it. It had a pretty easy life, never really working it hard. It was an eye opener when I looked at the oil from my 2021. I understand why the newer trucks seem dirtier, with the emissions systems mucking things up. The '04 had about 210,000 miles on it when I traded it in.
I have never had a diesel where the oil was not pure black really i would be surprised if i saw oil that wasn't black as coal lol…. What kinda milage were you changing your oil at?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
hence my question... regardless of mileage, it's black shortly after first start up.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 2007 5.9L would dirty the oil right after changing it. Pretty normal for a diesel.
Yea unless your dropping the oil the same day without running it then it may be slightly less black lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Understood what?

A standard bolt, I would not be to concerned with the actual torque applied, depending on its application. The relatively thin shoulder on the drain plugs and the internal bore are a different matter. Also, having a drain bolt fail is a bit more costly than most any other fastener on the truck.

I did say stress fracture when describing the "flaw," but it probably is more than likely a result of the forging. Either way, it is thin spot in the flange, and the picture doesn't clearly show how deep and pronounced it is.

Good on you using a tq wrench.

Fails happen (not mine, posted recently on another forum).

1633548773240.png

Myfast70

Reaction score
Looking at the pic of what was installed at the factory I would venture to guess that it was overtightened quite a bit, which would cause it to look like it does. When it gets overtightened the head is much weaker than the body/tread area and the head of the plug looks rather thin so I could easily see how it would crack like the Brutal had just posted.

Props to you for using a torque wrench, I do it all the time when I build cars and a lot of people give me $hit saying that it is more time consuming and not needed. Well when things go wrong I like to know what I did was not the cause of that failure.

kxnate

Reaction score
I have never had a diesel where the oil was not pure black really i would be surprised if i saw oil that wasn't black as coal lol…. What kinda milage were you changing your oil at?
My 2007 John Deere skidsteer the oil actually stays very clean for quite a while after a change, but the 05 Cummins I had was black as coal as soon as I fired it up after an oil change. I don't know if that has something to do with a mechanical injection system vs a high pressure common rail or what?

Users who are viewing this thread