Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change - Drain Plug Failure

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 2007 John Deere skidsteer the oil actually stays very clean for quite a while after a change, but the 05 Cummins I had was black as coal as soon as I fired it up after an oil change. I don't know if that has something to do with a mechanical injection system vs a high pressure common rail or what?
Depends on a few factors nothing to do with the injection system though

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I chose my words poorly when describing the oil color. The oil out of my '04 was dark, but translucent. The oil out of my '21 is black and dirty. Wipe some on your fingers and you have to scrub them with a brush to get them clean. The '04 oil just wiped off with a shop towel. It did not stain your skin. Hard to explain without pictures, but there is a definite difference.

Exhaust brakes are new to me and I did make use of mine quite a lot on my trip through Idaho and western Wyoming. Do those have an effect on oil contamination or is it the emissions controls, namely EGR, that dirty the oil?

The drain plug I purchased to replace the one in the picture has a completely different surface finish. Very smooth, compared to the rough and grainy finish of the flawed plug. The original one looks cast, which I'm sure it is not. I think it was just a bad part that slipped through quality control.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The (extra) blackness comes from the EGR.

The "it's going to be black if it's diesel" comes from soot and other combustion contaminants being suspended in the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread