Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Ram Power Wagon Headlamps Always On (Canadian)

colbshoots

Reaction score
It's a Canadian truck. The headlamps are always on due to their laws up nort der.

Has anyone successfully been able to turn these things off? I returned from a call this morning at 4 am and could see the pictures on the walls of my neighbor's house across the street. I'm pretty sure my entire neighborhood would appreciate the ability for me to turn these off. I have a personal friend who is a tech at Ram which is going to look at it Wednesday (2 days from now) but that is just way too long to wait! It looks like most of the tuners and OBD tools cover up to 2018.

Any help would be much appreciated!

colbshoots

Reaction score
No, we went through and changed the country code to USA and that seemingly did nothing. We played around with some other modules that did nothing. I did turn off my stupid seat belt chime!

My buddy is a Ram service manager. He is going to reach out to his people and see what needs to be done.

Last edited:

colbshoots

Reaction score
I agree, check DRL settings

DRL settings are not an option on a Canadian vehicle. Canada requires them so they don't give you the option to turn them off. I'd be fine if it was just a DRL, but they use the low beam headlights all the time.

I would have thought changing the country code to U.S. would open up some of that but there really wasn't any change that I noticed.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
DRL settings are not an option on a Canadian vehicle. Canada requires them so they don't give you the option to turn them off. I'd be fine if it was just a DRL, but they use the low beam headlights all the time.

I would have thought changing the country code to U.S. would open up some of that but there really wasn't any change that I noticed.
You can use AlfaOBD to reconfigure the settings, and also put the setting in the radio to toggle them on and off whenever you want.

colbshoots

Reaction score
You can use AlfaOBD to reconfigure the settings, and also put the setting in the radio to toggle them on and off whenever you want.

I tried my hardest to make heads or tails of that website. Then I watched some horrible videos on Youtube reviewing that product. If someone could tell me for certain my truck is supported, I'd be open to that idea. Maybe I'll try emailing them...

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
You might do a little checking into wiring harnesses. Since Canada has a law requiring the DRLs in vehicles, manufacturers have varied in how they prevent defeating them. RAM has been known to use a different wiring harness for Canadian market vehicles to get around the DRL deactivation via WiTech.

colbshoots

Reaction score
You might do a little checking into wiring harnesses. Since Canada has a law requiring the DRLs in vehicles, manufacturers have varied in how they prevent defeating them. RAM has been known to use a different wiring harness for Canadian market vehicles to get around the DRL deactivation via WiTech.

Any more info on this? Where did you hear about this? What kind of vehicle was that on? What harness was swapped?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I tried my hardest to make heads or tails of that website. Then I watched some horrible videos on Youtube reviewing that product. If someone could tell me for certain my truck is supported, I'd be open to that idea. Maybe I'll try emailing them...
Yes, your truck is supported. This isn’t a product that there are explicit instructions for settings on each vehicle. You basically need to follow the lead of people that use it, and changes that have already been documented. I suspect horrible YouTube reviews would probably come from people who don’t know how to use it. If you end up getting it, I can tell you exactly what to do.
For your truck you would need either the app on google play store for Android device, or software for windows download from the website.
You also need the OBD interface- OBD Link MX Bluetooth
And you’ll need a security gateway bypass cable- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Any more info on this? Where did you hear about this? What kind of vehicle was that on? What harness was swapped?
There’s no wiring differences between Canada market and US market vehicles. The reason the dealer can’t disable them is because it’s law up there, and FCA won’t allow the wiTECH to populate the sales code that needs to be removed when your truck is connected.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
While I don't know Jimmy07 personally, he seems quite knowledgeable on the electrical systems. I could envision FCA updating their systems to use VIN and registration data for various computer configuration options - or limitations.

The vehicle I referenced was a new 2014 RAM 3500 CTD built for the US market which the owner expected to take back to Canada. At the time it was confirmed by RAM that DRLs could not be activated to meet Canadian law. A wiring harness was not replaced but a truck with a final destination of Canada was ordered where the DRL power is constant.

colbshoots

Reaction score
Yes, your truck is supported. This isn’t a product that there are explicit instructions for settings on each vehicle. You basically need to follow the lead of people that use it, and changes that have already been documented. I suspect horrible YouTube reviews would probably come from people who don’t know how to use it. If you end up getting it, I can tell you exactly what to do.
For your truck you would need either the app on google play store for Android device, or software for windows download from the website.
You also need the OBD interface- OBD Link MX Bluetooth
And you’ll need a security gateway bypass cable- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

Yes, one of them was a Youtube video and it was weird. I tried to look at the website but it only lists Euro cars as supported.

colbshoots

Reaction score
There’s no wiring differences between Canada market and US market vehicles. The reason the dealer can’t disable them is because it’s law up there, and FCA won’t allow the wiTECH to populate the sales code that needs to be removed when your truck is connected.
From Alexey Chernikov @ AlphaOBD:
"The car is supported. I believe you should be able to disable the DRL in the body computer configuration by setting the option “CBC Features - DRL Configuration” to “No DRL”."

Sounds like the AlphaOBD open up those sales codes the WiTech doesn't allow you to?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
From Alexey Chernikov @ AlphaOBD:
"The car is supported. I believe you should be able to disable the DRL in the body computer configuration by setting the option “CBC Features - DRL Configuration” to “No DRL”."

Sounds like the AlphaOBD open up those sales codes the WiTech doesn't allow you to?
Yes. That’s why I recommended it. It is far more capable than the dealer tool. While changing that setting will shut them off for good, there’s also a way to configure it so you have the setting in the radio, so you can toggle them on and off whenever you want.

colbshoots

Reaction score
Yes. That’s why I recommended it. It is far more capable than the dealer tool. While changing that setting will shut them off for good, there’s also a way to configure it so you have the setting in the radio, so you can toggle them on and off whenever you want.

Do you know if this shuts off the led running lights or just the Candian DRL (low beam headlamp)?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Do you know if this shuts off the led running lights or just the Candian DRL (low beam headlamp)?
The LED running lights are called signature lighting, and is separate from DRLs, and not affected by turning the DRLs off. Those can be disabled also if you want.

REBTO

Reaction score
Hey guys new to this forum. I installed some oem projectors on my ram 1500 classic. Damn these DRL lights

colbshoots

Reaction score
I never did update this, but AlphaOBD is amazing. Highly recommend! Get it and be done with it!

Users who are viewing this thread