Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/2 ton springs on a 3/4?

pjcodner

Reaction score
I swapped out my springs on my 2015 2500 for some 2020 PowerWagon coils. Gave it a little bit of a lift and it rides a heck of lot better. I also run about 55 psi in all 4 corners on 20" factory rims. I don't tow anything heavy anymore so I am not worried about the lower towing capacity. Plus I see a lot of PowerWagons towing some pretty heavy trailers and they just add in bags to help.

tchur1

Reaction score
If you arent towing you can run much lower than 55 PSI all around and improve the ride even more. I run 45/40 when unloaded.

Bigboom338

Reaction score
I know that I am late to this thread, but I admit that I am confused. Wouldn't it be better to just get a half ton pickup?

jnma1234

Reaction score
Believe me, I would have loved to stay with my half ton, but my wife wanted a fifth wheel camper, so I needed to get a 3/4 ton to pull it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand completely, and I really appreciate all the advice. I think, because I don't do any off-road, and I've already had the front end hit the bump stops on our crappy roads, that I will leave the front coils alone but change the back coils over to soft coils with helper bags. As far as tires, I think I'm going to go to the michelin's, cuz I have had those on other vehicles and they are really good tires. I don't do a lot of off-road, and I just want something that rides a little better

Look into sumo springs for the front to reduce the harshness of the bumpstop impact. I did the black sumo springs and am very happy with the improved ride. I'd use the blue ones on a Hemi.

If I wanted a softer ride from a 2500 I'd run the front sumo stops, front thuren anti-sway bar, rear thuren 1/2" lower soft rate coil kit, thuren rear track bar, rear airbags, and talk to Thuren about shocks with those springs. Front 24-268639 Bilstein 5100's may work with the sumo springs, but they are ~0.3" longer than stock height 4600's compressed. 24-285681 5100's would work in the rear with the 1/2" lower coild. It will ride well and haul well.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Agree with @Rockcrawlindude here. If you're gonna be a towing a 5er, you need something a bit more than the 1500 coils. As mentioned in the very beginning, there are companies that make proper soft ride HD coils, but if you're running those with a 5er you're gonna have to have bags as well. Probably the best combo you can get though.

jnma1234

Reaction score
If you’re planning on pulling a fifth wheel you need the HD suspension. Quit whining about the 3/4 ton ride.
REALLY??

I thought the purpose of this forum was to help people with problems and share modifications to make the vehicle better, not make stupid comments and insults. If you want to do that rock crawlin dude, go to fakebook, otherwise keep your comments to yourself.

jnma1234

Reaction score
REALLY??

I thought the purpose of this forum was to help people with problems and share modifications to make the vehicle better, not make stupid comments and insults. If you want to do that rock crawlin dude, go to fakebook, otherwise keep your comments to yourself.
Oh, and, by the way rock crawlin dude, don't punk out by contacting me on my email (like you did before), put your comments on here where everybody can see. That way every can see how petty you are!

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
I happen to have a pair of 1500 OEM rear springs (2015) and a pair of 2500 OEM rear springs to compare.

Looking at these pics, I don't think you'd ever want to put the 1500s in place of the 2500s.

Attachments

• PXL_20231101_141648825.jpg
    PXL_20231101_141648825.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20231101_141807898.jpg
    PXL_20231101_141807898.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 12

UglyViking

Reaction score
Oh, and, by the way rock crawlin dude, don't punk out by contacting me on my email (like you did before), put your comments on here where everybody can see. That way every can see how petty you are!
Respectfully, you need to get a little thicker skin if this is bothering you this much. Everyone here is trying to tell you the same thing, your desire to continue on this path is completely on you, but him basically telling you to suck it up isn't that big a deal.

I'm not sure what additional feedback folks here can provide to help you along. 1500 coils are not recommended, nor designed, for the HD trucks. They are going to take a lot of fab work to get them working, and adding any weight to them is gonna have you close to the bumpstops and frankly just isn't safe.

If you want softer rear springs, Thuren makes some, as do others, in stock height. Carli makes +2" springs that are softer. Past that, you can only do so much. I really think the Thuren coils, with bags and daystar cradles, is gonna give you the best unloaded ride, and still be safe to tow.

And if I can offer a bit of feedback. Telling a well respected highly active member of this forum to go to FB because you don't like his comment is not gonna win you a ton of friends as a new guy. Take that for what it's worth. Best of luck on your journey.

jnma1234

Reaction score
Insulting other members with this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.
Respectfully, you need to get a little thicker skin if this is bothering you this much. Everyone here is trying to tell you the same thing, your desire to continue on this path is completely on you, but him basically telling you to suck it up isn't that big a deal.

I'm not sure what additional feedback folks here can provide to help you along. 1500 coils are not recommended, nor designed, for the HD trucks. They are going to take a lot of fab work to get them working, and adding any weight to them is gonna have you close to the bumpstops and frankly just isn't safe.

If you want softer rear springs, Thuren makes some, as do others, in stock height. Carli makes +2" springs that are softer. Past that, you can only do so much. I really think the Thuren coils, with bags and daystar cradles, is gonna give you the best unloaded ride, and still be safe to tow.

And if I can offer a bit of feedback. Telling a well respected highly active member of this forum to go to FB because you don't like his comment is not gonna win you a ton of friends as a new guy. Take that for what it's worth. Best of luck on your journey.

Ugly viking, first of all, I haven't been on this thread for months. I got the answers I needed and I left it alone. If this is bothering him that much that he has to insult me privately on my email address and then make another ignorant comment this far into the thread, maybe I'm not the one with a thin skin.

Second of all, letting a so called "well-respected highly active member" make ignorant comments and insult people is not a way promote your forum and keep it growing. If you are going to defend someone like that, the respectful people, who are just here to give and get advice without insults, will leave and go to a different forum, and yours will wither and you willbe left whith what you deserve!

And, thirdly, and with no respect whatsoever, if I'm not allowed to defend myself against an idiot like that, you can kiss my ass and have the administrators delete me from this forum.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I don't find the need to defend @Rockcrawlindude, I trust he is more than capable of defending himself. My point was more that it's not gonna do you any favors. Furthermore, this isn't my forum, I'm not an admin or a moderator, and am not here to police any speech. I was simply trying to offer you some advice was all, the internet is a big place, some people hurl insults on forums, FB, twitter, whatever. I didn't see any of these emails, nor do I care to, I was just attempting to offer a helpful piece of feedback for you, obviously you are welcome to choose to ignore it, or insult me if that makes you feel better.

I do gotta say, the last "and with no respect whatsoever" did make me laugh out loud, so thanks for that.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I don’t need to email you, nor do I have your email address. However, if you have some proof of me being petty I would love to see it posted publicly because it’s probably quite entertaining.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
REALLY??

Yes, really.

It wasn’t the answer you wanted but it was the answer you needed.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Since we’re making things up about members and being petty

Just thought I’d let you know that the forum has a built in “sad” button so you can let everybody know that a post made you sad. Your feelings matter, sir

IMG_4028.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread