Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram HD

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe you have to have your foot on the brake in order to shift with the dial so hopefully that prevents blowing up a trans.
The thing I did not like with the dial is that you cannot drive forward or reverse with the driver door open, so many times I do that in my current truck and was glad I got the ability to do it when I upgraded to the 3500.
I still get in my brothers truck which is a 1500 and go for the column shift but just get air lol.
I have found that if you keep your foot on the brake, you can move the truck with the door open on the ZF8 speed trucks.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have found that if you keep your foot on the brake, you can move the truck with the door open on the ZF8 speed trucks.
You can also easily disable the auto park for an engine run cycle. Just purposely make auto park engage one time, turn the knob back to park, then when you put it back in gear auto park will be disabled for the rest of that drive cycle.

whitexc

Reaction score
You can also easily disable the auto park for an engine run cycle. Just purposely make auto park engage one time, turn the knob back to park, then when you put it back in gear auto park will be disabled for the rest of that drive cycle.

This is good to know. I have a feeling most of us run into the issue of auto park, throw it in park, slam the door shut, spout a few choice words and continue on with our journey of hitching or whatever we were doing.

Sent from me

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Thanks, I did not know that oh keeper of the knowledge!! :cool:

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Additional Autopark info from owner manual:
4WD LOW — If Equipped AutoPark will be disabled when operating the vehicle in 4WD LOW. The message “AutoPark Disabled” will be displayed in the instrument cluster.

I should have read the owners manual better. :rolleyes:

Riccochet

Reaction score
It is a good feature, and nice that there's a way to temporarily disable it. People have been killed by falling out of their vehicle while it's in gear and being ran over.

Today's world where we cater to the least common denominator. lol

dieselscout80

Reaction score
We used to feed hay (small square bales or even loose hay) from a moving pickup with a manual transmission while idling in 1st gear (granny low) by hopping out and climbing in the bed to toss hay out. Not very common anymore with round bales. However, with Autopark disabled it would be possible and the ZF 8 speed's low first gear.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
We used to feed hay (small square bales or even loose hay) from a moving pickup with a manual transmission while idling in 1st gear (granny low) by hopping out and climbing in the bed to toss hay out. Not very common anymore with round bales. However, with Autopark disabled it would be possible and the ZF 8 speed's low first gear.

Did that on a friend's ranch picking up small square (rectangular) bales with his 94 12V 5 speed in 4-lo granny 1st. No autopark.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Did that on a friend's ranch picking up small square (rectangular) bales with his 94 12V 5 speed in 4-lo granny 1st. No autopark.
Loading you need a driver.

Sometimes feeding we’d use twine to tie the steering wheel so it would drive in a big circle when feed by yourself.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I've found you can disable auto park temporarily by opening the door (with the seatbelt off), putting the truck in drive, park and then right back to drive again.

Builtfordrough

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Really glad I bought a 22, because my trim/package now forces the 12” screen.
The 2025 1500 build and price is up and running. Everything Bighorn level 2 and up has at least the 12” screen. I hope this doesn’t carry over to the HD’s.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems because the 14.1 or 15" or whatever the bigger one is now, the 12" will be the standard.

Ram needs to do something different with the screen placement and orientation, IMO.

The current 12” screen goes too low and deletes too many buttons, and I feel it’s a safety issue. I’ve seen people take their eyes off the road for too long to activate/deactivate things that shouldn’t take that long… and don’t take that long with the 8.4” screen.

I had a F-150 King Ranch rental for 3 weeks last spring, brand new with less than 50 miles, with their big screen. It was horizontal and its orientation worked so much better than Ram’s 12” screen. I’d take that setup in a heart beat, but hate Ram’s 12” screen.

Enve46

Reaction score
Ram needs to do something different with the screen placement and orientation, IMO.

The current 12” screen goes too low and deletes too many buttons, and I feel it’s a safety issue. I’ve seen people take their eyes off the road for too long to activate/deactivate things that shouldn’t take that long… and don’t take that long with the 8.4” screen.

I had a F-150 King Ranch rental for 3 weeks last spring, brand new with less than 50 miles, with their big screen. It was horizontal and its orientation worked so much better than Ram’s 12” screen. I’d take that setup in a heart beat, but hate Ram’s 12” screen.
Interesting, I’ve never really paid attention to the point you bring up and I like the screen but you are right, it goes too low. Especially when you have a bench front seat!

The screens in cars have gotten out of control but anything with a screen has these days. These damn pocket computers we use daily can do everything for us we now want it everywhere but that’s a separate issue

Users who are viewing this thread