Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the facelift coming out?

WXman

Reaction score
the hemi also got the 8 speed, and our interior is completely new. So that's nice.

Right but didn't the 8-speed show up like seven years ago? And the interior was done four years ago now. Even that stuff is getting old. In the truck business even three years is a long time. I believe this is one reason Ram trucks just aren't selling. They've got like a 350 day supply of them now or something which is nuts. Eight of the top ten vehicles on the list of most days of supply are made by Stellantis. This new company is just driving these trucks, Jeeps, and cars into the ground.

Having said that, there are strong rumors floating around that this coming summer Ram is going to make a "significant announcement" regarding the HD truck line. It better be BIG because they're about to drown.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Right but didn't the 8-speed show up like seven years ago? And the interior was done four years ago now. Even that stuff is getting old. In the truck business even three years is a long time. I believe this is one reason Ram trucks just aren't selling. They've got like a 350 day supply of them now or something which is nuts. Eight of the top ten vehicles on the list of most days of supply are made by Stellantis. This new company is just driving these trucks, Jeeps, and cars into the ground.

Having said that, there are strong rumors floating around that this coming summer Ram is going to make a "significant announcement" regarding the HD truck line. It better be BIG because they're about to drown.
The same people who keep screaming we need something new are the same ones who will complain when the new stuff breaks…. Personally i still think the 1st and 2nd gens were the best if they redid a 1st gen cab id be all over it lol

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
8 speed trans are for the birds. Something like the Allison would be welcome.

My biggest issue with ram (mostly Stelantis fault) is they force you into higher end packages to option for simple things like rambox, mega cab etc

jsalbre

Reaction score

The 8 speed came with the rest of the 4.5 gen stuff in 2019.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

The 8 speed came out in 2014 for the 1500s

UglyViking

Reaction score
8 speed trans are for the birds. Something like the Allison would be welcome.

My biggest issue with ram (mostly Stelantis fault) is they force you into higher end packages to option for simple things like rambox, mega cab etc
The Allisons are not nearly as stout as people make them out to be. Stock to stock a "real" Allison 5/6 spd will outlive a stock 68rfe, but you also have to account for the fact it's mated to a v8 that has a very different torque curve than the I6 Cummins. Even still, the Aisin is vastly stronger than the Allison in any 2500/3500, full stop.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thats true but not what he was getting at i dont think, he ment 8speeds in general
Ah yeah, that could be. In that case, the 8HP series has been in use since 2008 on BMWs, and 2011 for the 300C/Charger.

Xflight29

Reaction score
GM manufactures the branded Allison transmission. I would rather have Ram keep the Aisan Transmission than going with a branded Transmisson. when you compare the Aisin vs. Allison Transmisson, it's easy to see that both offer similar gears and size, But the Asian will shine when it comes to towing power when married to the Cummins. There is no need for 10 gears while towing.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
GM manufactures the branded Allison transmission. I would rather have Ram keep the Aisan Transmission than going with a branded Transmisson. when you compare the Aisin vs. Allison Transmisson, it's easy to see that both offer similar gears and size, But the Asian will shine when it comes to towing power when married to the Cummins. There is no need for 10 gears while towing.

I've said this before but here goes.

I love my HO/AISIN but wouldn't mind seeing an 8 or 9 speed ZF Powerline that is overbuilt and can hold 600HP and 1300 lb. ft. in stock form. The no load 2nd gear starts, up/down skip shifts, neutral idle, and rolling D/R/D looks really great on paper.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I've said this before but here goes.

I love my HO/AISIN but wouldn't mind seeing an 8 or 9 speed ZF Powerline that is overbuilt and can hold 600HP and 1300 lb. ft. in stock form. The no load 2nd gear starts, up/down skip shifts, and rolling D/R/D looks really great on paper.

And a trans that will either lock the TC in 1st or have a 2nd that’s lower than the Aisin 2nd and lock the TC around 10 mph.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven’t watched ZF’s introductory video to the Powerline 8, it’s well worth the few minutes. They even allude to it being in pickups in the video. There are two available on YouTube. ZF also just recently completed the production line for this transmission in Gray Court South Carolina. It’s a $200 million dollar investment on ZF’s part and they plan to be able to ramp up production to 200,000 transmissions by 2025. They’re already producing that transmission at the facility. I still believe this is where the next Ram HD’s transmission will be sourced from.

Video One:

Video Two:

4FishLimit

Reaction score
People who haven’t driven a recent ZF 8 speed just don’t understand how much better they are than literally everything that’s come before.
Agreed.

The 8 speed behind my wife’s Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee is superb and has been flawless for over 100K miles. Roughly 20K of those with an ECM and TCM tune behind it.

Xflight29

Reaction score
My Asian is by far the best pulling transmission I have ever had.
Holds it gear and shifts smooth as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread