Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling RSRA (Rear Seat Reminder Alert)

Shots

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not going to argue with people I don't know, about how a statement was perceived. I read the post I replied to, but take it as you want. Sure, you're all right and, I'm wrong. Fine by me, let's move on.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

It would come up on your dash display after you turn off your truck. Nothing is audible.
Mine is most definitely audible. That's what annoys me so much. It gives you that same chime as a the "not in park", "low tire", or other type alerts. It also pops up a display on the screen, but the chime always makes me think there is an issue. All it's doing is conditioning people to ignore the chime, so when there is an actual issue, you won't look at the screen to see what it is.
If it was just the pop-up on the cluster I wouldn't care. If you (or anyone) knows how to disable the chime associated to it, you'd be my hero. Any suggestions

My 2024 laramie (build date of 8/23) with 12" has the on/off option under Safety & Driving Assistance. It's the very first item.
Well that's interesting. That's the first non-tradesman I've seen with it (regardless of screen size). I think mine was built around the same time, but I'll have to check to door to see.

Enve46

Reaction score
My 23 PW 4-23 build date does NOT have it under the menu on the 12" screen.

phatboy64

Reaction score
It would come up on your dash display after you turn off your truck. Nothing is audible.
Thanks. I have never noticed anything popping up on my dash telling me to check my back seat ( or similar), I am not saying it hasn’t happened just that I haven’t notice. I did check to see if I had an option to enable/disable and I don’t.

mountainears

Reaction score
Did you see post #29 in this thread?

I’m guessing they did because in post #32 they say they want to do it with jscan and isn’t interested in messing with backup files. So apparently not that interested in any fix, just the fix they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots

Reaction score
Well that and the fact that post 29 also says that JScan can't do it. Which is what I have, and I'm not buying AlphaOBD for 1 setting, which also requires me to mess with backup files.
I don't have an issue changing settings, but backup files are meant to be a "safety net" so if something goes wrong you can restore it. Messing with a backup file could mean you run the risk of bricking the computer. Or maybe I'm too used to old technology and that's not a risk?

Another, more important concern is if those particular backup files would remove setting I have that the poster of them doesn't. For example park sensor settings and/or trailer blind spot. If those files make RSRA appear, isn't it just as likely they'll make the others go away? I'd assume they'll make the truck they're installed on match the one posted, since it's a backup file and it has no idea what it's being installed on. What other screens that aren't see are also effected? Will it eliminate the heated seats/wheel, dual climate, etc?
Not a risk I'm willing to take. IDK. It doesn't matter anyway because I don't have Alpha and JScan can't do it.

Last edited:

Shots

Reaction score
Build date is June 2023 on my truck.
Since a Laramie built August 2023 has this (Chrisminx), I'm assuming Ram added the setting to disable it on the July or later builds.
There is no reason a dealership shouldn't be able to flash the software to the latest version, thus enabling the setting. I have emailed Stelantis about this, trying to get some sort of resolution.

This is a safety concern people, not just an annoyance.
They have the RSRA to alert people to check the back seat for kids. A commendable idea, but those of us that never transport kids don't need a chime going off every time we turn off the truck. If I forget to shift into park the chime will sound, but I'm never going to look at the screen because I'll assume it's RSRA. This useless setting (for those who don't transport small kids) conditions them to ignore the chime. I've only had this truck since Halloween (so not even 3 months) and I already ignore the screen when I hear the chime when I park. That makes every other warning chime useless and negates their effectiveness to warn of any of the other issues.
The heck with changing our computers ourselves. This is something Ram should do. It'll probably take them getting sued because someone got hurt after ignoring a chime they assumed was RSRA.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Well that and the fact that post 29 also says that JScan can't do it. Which is what I have, and I'm not buying AlphaOBD for 1 setting, which also requires me to mess with backup files.
I don't have an issue changing settings, but backup files are meant to be a "safety net" so if something goes wrong you can restore it. Messing with a backup file could mean you run the risk of bricking the computer. Or maybe I'm too used to old technology and that's not a risk?

Another, more important concern is if those particular backup files would remove setting I have that the poster of them doesn't. For example park sensor settings and/or trailer blind spot. If those files make RSRA appear, isn't it just as likely they'll make the others go away? I'd assume they'll make the truck they're installed on match the one posted, since it's a backup file and it has no idea what it's being installed on. What other screens that aren't see are also effected? Will it eliminate the heated seats/wheel, dual climate, etc?
Not a risk I'm willing to take. IDK. It doesn't matter anyway because I don't have Alpha and JScan can't do it.
That’s not how the backup files work. The backup files are a hexadecimal dump of all the settings. You don’t upload someone else’s entire backup to your truck, as that would undoubtedly have some incorrect settings for you. You download a backup of your truck, change the relevant bit(s) for the settings that need modification, and then upload it back to your truck.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The heck with changing our computers ourselves. This is something Ram should do. It'll probably take them getting sued because someone got hurt after ignoring a chime they assumed was RSRA.
The dealership scan tools just don’t have the ability to change something like this, and never will. Ram/stellantis will never put out a flash adding the setting to trucks after the fact, I guarantee it. You can put that on the list of things that are certain along with death and taxes.
I’ll message the JScan developer and tell him what to update to add the setting in so you can do it with JScan.

Just a little more info on how these BCM settings, backup files work:
JScan and alfaobd both do the exact same thing to the bcm when they make configuration changes. They also do the exact same thing as Ram engineering does when they configure the bcm for each truck because both of those app developers use the Chrysler engineering software (CDA6) to model their apps after.

Alfaobd mimics CDA6 more closely than JScan in that all the settings are grouped into their configuration names just like CDA6, whereas JScan kind of lumps them into categories of features on the truck in an effort to make it more user friendly.
Here’s an example of a line item from a backup file from alfaobd:
62014E00E044BF80000970
So, 62 means they were read. 014E is the CustSetMenu 3 section of settings. They have to do with customer user settings in the radio. There are 3 CustSetMenu sections, but JScan lumps them all together in adaptations > radio user settings to make it more user friendly.

When the developers of JScan and alfaobd create the settings in their apps, they are using a cracked version of CDA6 to know what bytes and bits are for all those setting names.
014E CustSetMenu 3 has 8 bytes. If all of the settings in CustSetMenu 3 are “yes or no” settings, then each value that you see after 62014E represents a group of 4 settings. That value depends on what all 4 of those settings are set to, hence the reason the value change might not be the same for ONE setting from one person to the next. Here’s an example of the group of 4 settings that value F from the line item I posted above represents:
Screenshot (51).jpeg
Screenshot (52).jpeg

Now, the reason why alfaobd or JScan might not have any of these settings listed in their apps could be because they have an older version of CDA6 that just lists the setting names as “reserved” (for future features). Here’s an example of what they might see if they have a version that only has up to MY2022 BCM variants:
Screenshot (53).jpeg

I know it’s a long winded explanation, but it should help you guys see why the create backup file and restore from backup file functions are valuable in this situation.
Changing a setting or adaptation that you can see in alfaobd or JScan writes and changes that individual value that you see in the backup file. If the setting doesn’t exist in alfaobd, but the value for that setting is known, then the work around is to manually change the value in the backup file, and restore the new file to the BCM, effectively writing that ONE setting change.

Shots

Reaction score
Thank you both for taking the time to explain it.
jsalbre, that makes a lot more sense. So you'd just be using their file as a guide to figure out what needs changed, not actually using the whole file, if I understood that correctly.
Jimmy07 that does a great job of explaining how the modification of the truck's own backup file is altered. Long winded maybe, but I think that's exactly the kind of detail that was needed for something like this.

So when adding the backup file (as linked in a previous post) how do you know which one of those lines is the one you need? As I understand it, you don't want all of them, or you'd have the issue of messing other things up that I was concerned with. I'm assuming this is something you just kinda figure out when you're using AlphaOBD?

Interestingly, you mentioned the JScan being more user friendly, which is exactly why I chose that particular one. I looked at both, and even downloaded the demo versions of both to mess with them before buying. I found the JScan was a bit easier to navigate and find settings I wanted to mess with. Although the AlphaOBD wasn't too bad to use, it just seemed a bit more technical. If I had known ahead of time AlphaOBD would be able to enable the toggle feature I probably would have gone with it, but having already purchased the JScan, it's not something I'm going to buy for 1 feature. It actually was a setting I looked for in both programs before buying, but it didn't show up in either. I had no idea you could mess with backup files to add features that aren't listed.
I'm still going to hope Ram makes it right when the next software update gets pushed out. They do sometimes add features. My '18 Wrangler (Sahara) didn't have Off-Road Pages on the radio (gauge cluster only) but the Rubicon did. After an over-the-air software update that came out around mid '19 my Off-Road Pages were enabled on my radio too. Granted, that took nearly 2 years and I don't want to wait that long.

Hopefully JScan hooks us up and adds it to their software soon, since I can't do anything with the backup files (and wouldn't know where to start if I could).

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So when adding the backup file (as linked in a previous post) how do you know which one of those lines is the one you need? As I understand it, you don't want all of them, or you'd have the issue of messing other things up that I was concerned with. I'm assuming this is something you just kinda figure out when you're using AlphaOBD?
It’s a tedious process, but when someone has a feature that someone else doesn’t have, and the setting name for it isn’t listed in alfaobd, I use my bench BCM and both of their backup files to do a process of elimination.

First I restore the bench bcm to the first backup file, then create the configuration log for it that shows all the current settings. Then I do the same with the other backup file.
Then I put both config logs in WinMerge, use alfaobd to manually match each setting that is listed. Once that’s done, I create a new backup file, and compare it to the original of the one I matched all the settings to. Comparing those backup files will reveal values that were never changed, because the setting names for them don’t exist in alfaobd.
Then I go to CDA6, and search BCM variants that have a setting name to those mystery values, and soon enough, I find the value and the setting name that belongs to the feature in question.
In this case of the rear seat alert radio setting, there was only one mystery setting name that didn’t make sense to me, so I figured it had to be the one. The name of the setting in the list is called “FOA Type CSO”. Every backup file that I had that I knew had the rear seat alert, but not the radio setting, was set to “type 1”. The poster from this thread that shared his backup file was known to have the radio setting, and his was set to “type 2”. So, I told jsalbre to try changing that value and see if it shows up, and it did.

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s a tedious process, but when someone has a feature that someone else doesn’t have, and the setting name for it isn’t listed in alfaobd, I use my bench BCM and both of their backup files to do a process of elimination.

First I restore the bench bcm to the first backup file, then create the configuration log for it that shows all the current settings. Then I do the same with the other backup file.
Then I put both config logs in WinMerge, use alfaobd to manually match each setting that is listed. Once that’s done, I create a new backup file, and compare it to the original of the one I matched all the settings to. Comparing those backup files will reveal values that were never changed, because the setting names for them don’t exist in alfaobd.
Then I go to CDA6, and search BCM variants that have a setting name to those mystery values, and soon enough, I find the value and the setting name that belongs to the feature in question.
In this case of the rear seat alert radio setting, there was only one mystery setting name that didn’t make sense to me, so I figured it had to be the one. The name of the setting in the list is called “FOA Type CSO”. Every backup file that I had that I knew had the rear seat alert, but not the radio setting, was set to “type 1”. The poster from this thread that shared his backup file was known to have the radio setting, and his was set to “type 2”. So, I told jsalbre to try changing that value and see if it shows up, and it did.
Team work makes the dream work.

Shots

Reaction score

That's awesome!!!
I'm certainly no programmer/coder although I like to think I'm at least somewhat computer savy. I know my way around Excel, but that's about the extent of it. I have a friend who does computer stuff for a major corporation and it blows my mind some of the things that can be done with 1's and 0's or in more modern coding seemingly random series of letters and numbers.
Funny enough, I'm a mechanical engineer and often think of myself as "nerdy" but then I read stuff like this and think there are people out there that make me seem like the dumb jock. Impressive man, and great job helping someone on the forum out by figuring that out of them.

Shots

Reaction score
Everyone always freaks out about breahalyzers when the topic of nanny features comes up but that technology already exists. Maybe a different application than they use now, but I know there is a method by which people who have multiple OVI/DUI charges have use one in their car. Seems easy enough to trick it if they wanted to, but maybe not (I'm not exactly sure how it works). I hear it's super expensive to install which is probably why cars/trucks don't have them already.

Breathalyzers don't really bother me though, because you shouldn't be driving after you drink. Sober driving applies to everyone. Much like the seatbelt chime, you should wear it. Not everyone agrees with seat belts, but there is an abundance of data to support using them. BUT, even if you choose not to wear it YOU CAN disable the chime without any special tools, programmers or dealership involvement.
The RSRA though, doesn't apply to everyone like sober driving. And it can't be turned off like the seat belt chime if RSRA doesn't apply to you (even with dealership involvement and most programmers). This is what bothers me. The feature is nagging me about something that doesn't apply and I can't turn it off, yet something like the seatbelt chime can be.

Shots

Reaction score
Soooo, the plot thickens.
I just got an email from the dealership. It would seem my complaints to Ram were not unheard. They asked me to bring the truck in so they can share diagnostic data with the manufacturer and that "there may be a solution." I wonder if they are able (or are at least trying) to adjust the backup files so the toggle feature activates on my radio like it does on trucks made after August?
Fingers crossed. No appointment scheduled yet, but I working on making those arrangements.

Shots

Reaction score
The diagnostic data has been gathered, and sent to Ram. Now I wait to see what they have to say about why I can't toggle the option but trucks built 2 months later can. And of course cross my fingers for a solution/update.

rfullen280

Reaction score
The dealership scan tools just don’t have the ability to change something like this, and never will. Ram/stellantis will never put out a flash adding the setting to trucks after the fact, I guarantee it. You can put that on the list of things that are certain along with death and taxes.
I’ll message the JScan developer and tell him what to update to add the setting in so you can do it with JScan.

Just a little more info on how these BCM settings, backup files work:
JScan and alfaobd both do the exact same thing to the bcm when they make configuration changes. They also do the exact same thing as Ram engineering does when they configure the bcm for each truck because both of those app developers use the Chrysler engineering software (CDA6) to model their apps after.

Alfaobd mimics CDA6 more closely than JScan in that all the settings are grouped into their configuration names just like CDA6, whereas JScan kind of lumps them into categories of features on the truck in an effort to make it more user friendly.
Here’s an example of a line item from a backup file from alfaobd:
62014E00E044BF80000970
So, 62 means they were read. 014E is the CustSetMenu 3 section of settings. They have to do with customer user settings in the radio. There are 3 CustSetMenu sections, but JScan lumps them all together in adaptations > radio user settings to make it more user friendly.

When the developers of JScan and alfaobd create the settings in their apps, they are using a cracked version of CDA6 to know what bytes and bits are for all those setting names.
014E CustSetMenu 3 has 8 bytes. If all of the settings in CustSetMenu 3 are “yes or no” settings, then each value that you see after 62014E represents a group of 4 settings. That value depends on what all 4 of those settings are set to, hence the reason the value change might not be the same for ONE setting from one person to the next. Here’s an example of the group of 4 settings that value F from the line item I posted above represents:
View attachment 67971
View attachment 67972

Now, the reason why alfaobd or JScan might not have any of these settings listed in their apps could be because they have an older version of CDA6 that just lists the setting names as “reserved” (for future features). Here’s an example of what they might see if they have a version that only has up to MY2022 BCM variants:
View attachment 67973

I know it’s a long winded explanation, but it should help you guys see why the create backup file and restore from backup file functions are valuable in this situation.
Changing a setting or adaptation that you can see in alfaobd or JScan writes and changes that individual value that you see in the backup file. If the setting doesn’t exist in alfaobd, but the value for that setting is known, then the work around is to manually change the value in the backup file, and restore the new file to the BCM, effectively writing that ONE setting change.
HOLY CRAP! Thanks for explaining it. Anytime you want to drop knowledge, I'm all eyes to read it.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
I’m working on a BIG list of things to tell him to add for a bunch of missing 2023 feature settings for alfaobd (this, front camera with park assist, blind spot cameras, digital cluster settings, telescoping mirrors, etc).
Jimmy,
Do you have an ETA on when your list will be live in Alfa?

Users who are viewing this thread