Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crusty's 75th Annv PW #1590 build/mods adventure

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Speaking of brewbud.

I brewed up a Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter clone a few weeks ago. Should be moving it into secondary this weekend. :cool: For some reason, I can't find that in stores anymore.

I'm thinking of adding my hop oil in secondary/dry hop rather than right before I bottle.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Speaking of brewbud.

I brewed up a Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter clone a few weeks ago. Should be moving it into secondary this weekend. :cool: For some reason, I can't find that in stores anymore.

I'm thinking of adding my hop oil in secondary/dry hop rather than right before I bottle.

I haven't seen it around much. Their Hazy Little Thing seems to be everywhere though and probably pushed it off the shelves. I like HLT though because it is not a super hazy and still has some bitterness. Hops in secondary for a few days sounds like the way to go. I usually keg, so I often hop right in the keg for a few days before crashing it. I need to get brewing here soon.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Hazy's and I'm picky about my IPA's.

I'm hoping this one comes out OK.
After I started my mash, I looked at my Yeast pack. It said best if used by Dec 2020. :eek:

Didn't realize I'd had this batch sitting around that long. At least it's fermenting, just hope it's from the yeast I put in. :rolleyes:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

After I started my mash, I looked at my Yeast pack. It said best if used by Dec 2020. :eek:

Didn't realize I'd had this batch sitting around that long. At least it's fermenting, just hope it's from the yeast I put in. :rolleyes:

It will probably be fine. Did you make a starter for the yeast pack? Always a good idea. Plus it will let you know if the yeast is still viable. If it is not your yeast going off maybe you will have a nice sour on your hands. :D

I am not a huge fan of Hazys. IMO most are not even IPAs since they add all the hops at the whirlpool and don't get many IBUs that way. More like a hazy Pale Ale... HLT is different than most other Hazys. It has become a goto for quick beer for me. Modern Times Orderville is a similar hazy that is not over the top.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
We have a local brewery that does strictly sours. :eek:
Not a big fan of them at all.
I've become a good hoppy IPA or good stout kind of guy. No Gunesis burnt water crap or imperial stouts. Rather a good oatmeal or chocolate stout.
IPAs are torpedo, hop hunter, voodoo ranger are my daily's.
I make a good Cascade IPA when I'm brewing. All cascade hops.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I used to bottle in old plastic coke bottles so I could take them to Baja when I went down to race.
Border and check points just saw the coke top and didnt question them. :cool:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

16237fe87665083255fc0530715aab41.jpg

Sent from my work avoidance device

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
We have a local brewery that does strictly sours. :eek:
Not a big fan of them at all.
I've become a good hoppy IPA or good stout kind of guy. No Gunesis burnt water crap or imperial stouts. Rather a good oatmeal or chocolate stout.
IPAs are torpedo, hop hunter, voodoo ranger are my daily's.
I make a good Cascade IPA when I'm brewing. All cascade hops.

Would that be Barrel House? They are up near you I think. I love that place - but I love sours. I like most beer except for American Light Lagers. I brew mostly Belgian styles and big stouts now with some IPAs thrown in occasionally. I like a good west coast style IPA. I can never pass up a good pale ale. I have a bunch of Cascade hops I need to pick right now, although I only had one plant this year.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Casa Agria.
I like a good west coast style IPA or a good strong lager. Sam Adam's or a fat tire.
I used to be only Hefs or Belgian Wits.
We have several good breweries up here.
Institution, Made West, Topa Topa, figiroua mountain.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
No fruit in my beer. German beer laws do not allow fruit.
Water, grains, hops and recently yeast, once they figured out that was what ferments the beer. ;)

Of those I have only had Fiqiroura Mountain. Good brews.

The original German purity law would not allow wheat either. It specifically mentioned Barley, Hops, and water. All Weissbier was outside of the purity law.

Adjuncts are one of the big reasons I prefer Belgian ales over German beers. Some of the most popular beers I make use a base beer similar to a higher ABV wit beer. I use different fruits, flowers, and zests in the base beer to create different beers, Sometimes I will sour the beers too. You have to make sure you keep things in balance though. At brew festivals, these are always the first kegs to blow. Brewing for me started out as science but my brewing really took off when I started treating it as cooking. Best thing about beer is there are so many different types.

Having said that. A good American Pale Ale is still my favorite style beer. They are just so hard to find nowadays.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I started with a Mr. Beer kit the wife got me for Christmas one year. I was always talking about the guys at work who brewed.
And of course it just snowballed from there.

Nd79

Reaction score
I like where this thread has gone... I love all beer, porters, stouts, wheat, hefeweizen, pale ales, sours, and some IPA's... I usually buy a new Brewery pack plus the go to's every time we go to the liquor store. We are spoiled for that here in CO though. The only other place I've traveled to with a similar amount of breweries/variety was Oregon.

Man even a few weekends ago we stubled upon a new to us brew pub/ pizza joint with the kids in tow. We had been through the town plenty of times before (kids love to see the old big steam shovel there) and had never stopped in. There beers were great! My go to brewery for a few years has been the Denver beer co.

Megalodon

Reaction score
So I had a little issue getting the spare BFG 35 up in its spot. Seem it was hitting on the heat shield in the front.
So today I took out the heat shield and my handy dandy angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and made a little modification.

View attachment 18422

View attachment 18423

Now the tire fits nicely with a little finessing when cranking her up.

View attachment 18424

View attachment 18425

View attachment 18426
How in the heck did you fit the 35 K02 under there? Does it clear that rear drag link?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
How in the heck did you fit the 35 K02 under there? Does it clear that rear drag link?
Yes. I cut out the front half of the heat shield.
Then I started cranking it up. When the front of the tire got close to the track bar, I tilted the rear down, front up, on the tire till it cleared the track bar. Then i let it go and continued cranking, making minor adjustments until it was full seated.

Users who are viewing this thread