Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by troverman

1. T

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

Many engines from a variety of manufacturers make weird noises from time to time. Sure, I'd prefer to not have that chirpy / squealing sound from my Hemi at a cold start, but its just the way it is and I know Chrysler will never do anything about it, and every other Hemi 6.4L is doing it too, so...
  2. T

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

@roadkingjim you need to keep in mind the engine is exactly the same on your truck vs a total base model 2500 regular cab 2WD truck that costs over $30k less. Many people think because they paid for a loaded up model, their engine should somehow be quieter or more powerful or whatever. I can...
  3. T

Gas 2500 spongy brakes and other issues

ABS will only release the wheels that are on the verge of locking up. In your case, perhaps the right wheels could receive max braking and still not lock up. On my truck, you cannot make ABS engage while doing a panic stop from 40mph on dry pavement. I find that unacceptable, but the dealership...
  4. T

2024 Truck Details

The 6.4L Hemi will continue to power the gas HD RAMs - they are not getting the Hurricane for the same reason Super Duty Fords don't get the EcoBoost.
  5. T

2024 Truck Details

The HD's still have the old cab architecture, despite the newer dash. That means the steering column is not designed to telescope. For perspective, many years ago we had a 1995 Mercedes E320 with a power telescopic steering wheel. That was 28 years ago. Ford has had tilt/telescope since at least...
  6. T

In my earlier posts I could not get ABS to engage with an empty truck and slamming on the brakes from 40mph on dry pavement with nobody around. I haven't tried it since. I have driven the truck in snowy conditions, and the ABS works perfectly well, but the pedal never feels better. I'm not going...
  7. T

I have just lived with it. My truck has about 7500 miles on it now. The brakes are not confidence inspiring. I've actually had a close call, not towing anything but with a one-ton pallet of wood pellets in the bed, coming down a small hill to a stop sign. The car in front of me did not go when I...
  8. T

Anyone have experience with high idle hours?

The diesel OCI takes into account the number of active regenerations the performed, as this process ends up adding some diesel fuel to the crankcase.
  9. T

Anyone have experience with high idle hours?

The life indicator should take into account everything and give an accurate picture of oil life. It should take into account the number of hot-cold cycles, idle time, low speed driving, etc, etc. Not just number of miles and days since the last reset.
  10. T

3.73 or 4.10?

Oil changes are cheap and easy. I'm not running the Penzoil Ultra-Platinum but rather Mobil 1 Euro formula.
  11. T

3.73 or 4.10?

I'm doing 3,000 mile oil changes and I expect the engine will run for 200k miles or more. Probably overkill, but I bet it solves the cam lobe wear problem. As for the transmission, I'm not so sure. The TRX, for example, uses the 8HP95 to handle the 700HP and 650lb-ft. Yes, that's substantially...
  12. T

3.73 or 4.10?

I've owned two Super Duty trucks with the 6.2L, a 2012 and a 2015. The 6.4L RAM is far more responsive and the 8-speed is far smoother. The 7.3L Ford is a beast of an engine and likely putting out more than what is claimed based upon the TFL Ike Gauntlet results towing 16k and still beating the...
  13. T

Excessive fuel consumption while towing?

2022 RAM 2500 Crew 4x4 Tradesman 6.4L w/ 3.73...towed 30' Big Tex 14GN with Kubota 60HP cab utility tractor and mower, loader, loaded rears, etc. Trailer at 5700lbs, tractor at 8000lbs so close to 14k. Pulled 100 miles, hilly country, but no speeds faster than 55mph. Trip computer reset at...
  14. T

3.73 or 4.10?

I've towed 15,000lbs gooseneck with my 2500 6.4, 3.73 axle. The 8 speed transmission helps a lot. I'm operating in hilly / mountainous NH / VT. Up any significant hills, the pedal is to the floor and I may not be able to maintain the 55mph speed limit and the engine is screaming. That said, I'm...
  15. T

'2023 6.4L Power Increase?

I use my 2022 for towing heavy loads, right up to the max tow rating of 14,700lbs with the Hemi. It sees a lot of wide open throttle, as I live in hilly country. I run nothing but regular, and the engine is putting out its power just fine and without knock. There are some engines that will run...