Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive fuel consumption while towing?

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Where I believe a person really takes it in the pooper is with high trim level purchases and looking at the 12 year residual value. Buy a $52K tradesmen and a $85K Limited today and run both for 12 years and 180K miles and go to sell them. The sell price on that Limited is going to be just slightly higher than the Tradesmen. The $35K I spend extra for my Limited Longhorn will slowly vaporize as the machine ages out and the once cutting edge technology becomes outdated and ordinary.
To add to this, most folks that want the higher end trims can probably afford to buy new. I paid $43K-ish a year or so ago for my cummins tradesman and I have no doubt I could sell it today for $43K and not loose a penny. The problem is I doubt I could buy another diesel 3/4 ton for $43K today.

OP; what gear set do you have? It looks like from your profile pic you have the single cab longbed tradesman. I'm guessing the "work truck" packages have the lower geared rears to improve towing capability.

whitexc

Reaction score
I also had a 2019 Ram 2500 CC/SB 4x4 6.4L that averaged 12.5-13 MPG doing my work commute of right around 250 miles a week. Now with the 2021 3500 dually CC/LB 4x4 6.7 S.O. I am holding a pretty steady 17-17.5 MPG doing that same exact 250 mile per week commute. That will also help chip at your 72,000 mile number for an earlier pay off.

To do math...
The 2019 at 250 miles divided by 12.5 MPG = 20 gallons per week at $3.25 a gallon for $65 a week for fuel.
The 2021 at 250 miles divided by 17 MPG =14.7 gallons per week at $3.55 a gallon for $52.20 a week for fuel.

So in a year (52 weeks) I save $12.80 a week or $665 a year just counting the work commute. Then I suppose you could extrapolate it out further and assume 40 miles per week of "pleasure use". As you keep playing with the numbers it starts looking like in 5 years or so you would be out of the red for buying the diesel.... but I've never owned a vehicle more than 3 years, so I'll never get there. But as mentioned. resale price on a diesel is usually MUCH higher than a gas engine truck.

Where I believe a person really takes it in the pooper is with high trim level purchases and looking at the 12 year residual value. Buy a $52K tradesmen and a $85K Limited today and run both for 12 years and 180K miles and go to sell them. The sell price on that Limited is going to be just slightly higher than the Tradesmen. The $35K I spend extra for my Limited Longhorn will slowly vaporize as the machine ages out and the once cutting edge technology becomes outdated and ordinary.
I agree with all of this but at some point we have to figure in maintenance on diesel vs gas. It IS more expensive to operate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I agree with all of this but at some point we have to figure in maintenance on diesel vs gas. It IS more expensive to operate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Oh no...

Gonna trade in my truck, I just realized that if I drive a Prius I will be rich!! 50 mpg compared to the 16.5 mpg I get now. Hmmmm that's 50/16.5 this will save me just about 2/3 of my weekly gas bill and I will be rich!! I'm gonna do some more fancy ciphering and get back to ya'll with my savings!!

5776cddbfd82a92f266f8b38e2357671.jpg

In all seriousness, I don't need a Diesel for what I do, so I won't spend the money.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Seems excessive but like @LateToTheParty said, weight isn’t the only factor.

towing a car on a flat trailer, relatively aerodynamic ~5000lb my truck barely takes a ding in hwy MPG ~14

Move up to my rock crawler which is heavier but mostly tube and the heavy bits are down low, behind the truck, I get 12 mpg towing ~6500 lb at 62 (also a sweet spot for me). If I run 75mph, I get around 10mpg with the same load.

I’m not sure what hit the MPG would take if I added another 3000lb but I would expect 10mpg ish. But if that extra load was very aero unfriendly, that’s a factor

Appalachian foothills towing here.

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
A lot has to do with which way the wind is blowing . Crosswinds are the worst. Also a new motor typically gets better mileage as it wears in . I can tell you after 35 yrs of owning class 8 trucks wind is a real milage killer !

dablack21

Reaction score
A lot has to do with which way the wind is blowing . Crosswinds are the worst. Also a new motor typically gets better mileage as it wears in . I can tell you after 35 yrs of owning class 8 trucks wind is a real milage killer !
It never fails... anytime I have to make a big drive, ESPECIALLY with the camper, I have a headwind lmao

myersd1

Reaction score
My 19 Megacab gets 7-8 pulling a 29'x8.5 enclosed sled trailer at 70+ MPH. Inside height is 7'. Range is the issue, just ordered a 22 Megacab Cummins. Love the truck outside of towing something big at speed.

RamMike7

Reaction score
To add to this, most folks that want the higher end trims can probably afford to buy new. I paid $43K-ish a year or so ago for my cummins tradesman and I have no doubt I could sell it today for $43K and not loose a penny. The problem is I doubt I could buy another diesel 3/4 ton for $43K today.

OP; what gear set do you have? It looks like from your profile pic you have the single cab longbed tradesman. I'm guessing the "work truck" packages have the lower geared rears to improve towing capability.
Mine has 3.73 gears.

Cajones307

Reaction score
I live in he Rockies so I never experience the "flat towing" I have a 31' travel trailer7800# that I pull a few weekends a year, I had a 19' ram 1500 what would get about 8.5 mpg when towing at 65 MPH. Long story short, I used to live on the road for work and put 98K miles on her in the 3.5 years that I owned her, the last year only being 12k miles. I thought in my infinite wisdom that I would trade off my truck before it hit 100K and I always wanted a bigger truck because we want to get a 5th wheel, I have had 3/4 ton gas work trucks before and had no issues with them towing trailer, so I thought I would get the 6.4L. Like I said I only tow a few time a year so I don't need a diesel putting around town (kinda wish I got one now.) I have towed my trailer three weekends in the few months that I have owned it. Max speed 70, (I've seen what happens when trailer tires blow) and have averaged on all three trips 9.1 MPG (not utilizing built in computer). When you come out this way, Don't pass up your chance to stop at a gas station!

troverman

Reaction score
2022 RAM 2500 Crew 4x4 Tradesman 6.4L w/ 3.73...towed 30' Big Tex 14GN with Kubota 60HP cab utility tractor and mower, loader, loaded rears, etc. Trailer at 5700lbs, tractor at 8000lbs so close to 14k. Pulled 100 miles, hilly country, but no speeds faster than 55mph. Trip computer reset at beginning of trip read 6.8mpg at the end of the trip. I didn't expect anything really better from a gas HD. My Cummins truck might have done 11. Diesel costs more, although it still ends up being cheaper overall to run this load with the diesel truck. What's interesting is that running empty, my 2019 3500 Cummins HO cannot do better than 21mpg on this same route; the Hemi will hit 19mpg on this drive. In that case, its cheaper to drive the gas truck.

RClark

Reaction score
One thing you're missing with the diesel is that with the newer diesels, if you are not driving them all the time and for longer distances, the DEF will be an issue. They are not a good "grocery getters" or a short distance engine. I have had diesels and loved them but the current version is not what the old ones used to be. Therefore the 6.4 looks better when you take that into consideration. Also when calculating costs don't forget the additional cost of DEF on top of higher diesel costs compared to gas. I loved my diesels and truly miss them when I pull my 5th wheel.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I'm pulling a 12' tall, 34' bumper hitch toy hauler that weighs 10500 lbs loaded. My truck is a 2022 CC SB hemi with 4.10 gears. I always use tow haul mode so the truck spends most of its time in 6th or 7th gear while towing. I'm in Iowa which is mostly flat land or rolling hills but I did do a trip to AR via MO. That trip was actually one of my highest MPG trips. I believe my average tank was 7.5 but a few tanks were upper 8s. I think the worst I've ever seen was 6.5 but that was bucking a pretty good headwind. My towing speeds range from 65 - 75 mph. I just kind of run where the truck feels happy, most times this is 70-72 mph. I also hand calc frequently and my evict number is usually within a few tenths of my hand calc number. I'd say your mileage is lower that what I've experienced but it could be something with the aero of your trailer. I've found wind resistance seems to have the biggest effect on mileage in these trucks. Are you sure you don't have something going on with your trailer brakes?

Finn5033

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread that was rebooted but I’ll chime in. I had a 2021 Silverado 3500 with the 6.6 gas engine that I used to tow our RV fish house. It’s about 26-27’ total length with the 96” sidewalls. With it raised up for towing it must be 11’ high or maybe a little more. Weighs around 7,500# loaded for a trip. Summer trips I never saw better than maybe 8.5mpg. Winter trips never saw better than 7mpg. Most of our trips our 1/3 freeway going 70mph and the rest 60mph roads. It was a pleasant towing experience with that truck. I’ve just always wanted a diesel.

I’ve only towed with the Cummins once but with the same trailer on a 600 mile round trip I saw just under 11mpg. The truck is brand new so I expect it to get better.

Long story short. 6-8mpg seems right towing with an HD gas truck.

Reaction score
That's very interesting (thanks). So the $8k premium gets you an $.11/mile savings in fuel alone (1,400 miles divided by $157.75). And it will take about 72,000 miles to pay for itself? (If I understand correctly) ........................But it will also get you much more on resale (maybe $5k?). I'm beginning to think the diesel is the better cost option
I would argue that the standard 6.7 Cummins isn’t worth the money. Not sure if the H.O. with Aissin tranny is any better. Seriously thinking of dumping RAM for Ford F-350 with power stroke and 10 speed tranny

Users who are viewing this thread