Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

CDNgoat

Reaction score
That has been what I,ve been trying to find out, so your saying that the tailgate release mechanism is already built into the tailgate latch and the only thing missing for this option is the button for the fob ,correct, perfect , that doesn,t make any sense why wouldn,t Ram just put that button on there as a perk instead they put some geometry in the console HMMM? Thanks I,m going to try this

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
That has been what I,ve been trying to find out, so your saying that the tailgate release mechanism is already built into the tailgate latch and the only thing missing for this option is the button for the fob ,correct, perfect , that doesn,t make any sense why wouldn,t Ram just put that button on there as a perk instead they put some geometry in the console HMMM? Thanks I,m going to try this
Yes its basically 99% complete, all you need is the physical button to activate it. I have no idea why Ram did things the way they did. Standard features on a $20K car are not present on a $60k truck, makes no sense (am referring to passive entry which I also installed from the threads on this forum).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You have a mechanical release on your older truck that is not what the new one will have your tailgate handle is only a button that opens the electronic latches and allows gravity to drop the tailgate

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wanted to update. An $8 kit of micro buttons and a soldering iron and bada bing bada boom, I’ve got a remote tailgate release. The button obviously isn’t shown on the remote since I modded my own remote but I bet if I look I could find replacement rubber piece with the tailgate drop icon.
This beats having to spend extra for a new fob, then pay to program the new fob. I’ve attached a link to my video to show it works!

Any info on the momentary button you ordered id like to do this to mine for both the remote start and tailgate release i dont know what button i need to order i have not had time to look in to it, i have been planing this for about 6 months but no time to figure out what button needed lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Every 2019+ HD truck has an electronic tailgate latch.

You just have to have a capable remote for it to open. You also need to add the tailgate gas strut. Every 2019+ HD also have the posts already present behind the passenger tail light. I think most are able to install it from under the truck without removing the light.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Wanted to update. An $8 kit of micro buttons and a soldering iron and bada bing bada boom, I’ve got a remote tailgate release. The button obviously isn’t shown on the remote since I modded my own remote but I bet if I look I could find replacement rubber piece with the tailgate drop icon.
This beats having to spend extra for a new fob, then pay to program the new fob. I’ve attached a link to my video to show it works!

@snakedoctor00 Got a link for parts (buttons) used, and any pics of your work done inside the remote? I’d like to try this myself.

Last edited:

bdgibson78

Reaction score
Got a link for parts (buttons) used, and any pics of your work done inside the remote? I’d like to try this myself.
I will second that! I looked on ebay and found a bunch of small 4 pin buttons, but all different sizes. Are you able to kindly share which buttons you used and where you purchased? Thank you!

toyboy1980

Reaction score

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I actually took my key fob apart to disable the remote tailgate. Didn't want to open the tailgate by accident when using my remote start. Having the tailgate open into a pole or wall would not make me happy.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
I actually took my key fob apart to disable the remote tailgate. Didn't want to open the tailgate by accident when using my remote start. Having the tailgate open into a pole or wall would not make me happy.
With how slow the tailgate opens it doesnt seem like to big issue to me. Time will tell I guess.

DasBoot

Reaction score
Could someone provide more detail on how the fob comes apart? I have got as far as this but it appears I can go no further without a lot more force than I’m willing to apply. TIA
783BC15E-B20B-45CB-A351-E3808632A1DB.jpeg

Heimz

Reaction score
If one didn't want to bother with the panic alarm, it would be easy and free to remove the panic button and install it on the tailgate connectors.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If one didn't want to bother with the panic alarm, it would be easy and free to remove the panic button and install it on the tailgate connectors.

If anyone's going to solder on the FOB's, I'd strongly recommend using heat tape to stick the other SMD devices lest you float one off.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If anyone's going to solder on the FOB's, I'd strongly recommend using heat tape to stick the other SMD devices lest you float one off.
Not really needed the solder is already on the board just quickly touching the heat to the terminal on the switch with a hot iron it only takes a quick 1 second touch and its soldered on, i just did both of my fobs adding both buttons took longer for the iron to heat up than to solder em on

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really needed the solder is already on the board just quickly touching the heat to the terminal on the switch with a hot iron it only takes a quick 1 second touch and its soldered on, i just did both of my fobs adding both buttons took longer for the iron to heat up than to solder em on

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've got 40 years of electronic repair experience, trained by the US Army to precision solder to milspec, and I recommend using kapton heat tape as a precaution if you're working with SMD. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean someone less skilled with the process or lacking the proper tools will.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree. I've got 40 years of electronic repair experience, trained by the US Army to precision solder to milspec, and I recommend using kapton heat tape as a precaution if you're working with SMD. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean someone less skilled with the process or lacking the proper tools will.
Fair point i have tons of experience with soldering/desoldering components to boards from being a contractor in the avionics field, i guess people less qualified could have issues

CDNgoat

Reaction score
So where exactly would you use this tape, from what I see you have a 4 pin button that should be soldered with as minimal heat as possible, any heat transfer is going to be up the track to the other components or possibly lift the track and wreck the pad, so I don,t know where an insulator tape would work, maybe to hold the component in place if thats your intention but H3ZSN1P3R way is a better solution and FYI 30 years instructing and operating wave solder and surface mount insertion with IR ovens making communication printed circuit boards for Nortel

Users who are viewing this thread