Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

thrust

Reaction score
It wasn't about "showing them" if anything they showed me. I lost a lot of money trading in a vehicle with less than 10k miles. It was about wiping my hands clean of a company that doesn't back the product or care about the customer enough to fix the issue in a timely manner. This has been going on for well over a year so there's no excuse.
I agree with this dude ^

I feel similar to how he feels but I found relief through the dielectric grease. When I saw his post about solving the noise though, I laughed and then looked at my wife and said, "some dude solved his truck's squeak" and we both got a nice chuckle...

Because at this point, the situation can only be described as laughable.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

renagade69

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the GoodYearGatorBack- Now branded Continental quiet belt? I have stopped squeaking with belts on prior vehicles that wouldn't stop. Warped pulleys and misaligned pulleys will stop squeaking with this belt.

Battleborn

Reaction score
Posted a vid of my nosie. While engine is running I put a ratchet in the tensioner detent hole and manually tensioned it and the nosie would stop. Couldn't get a vid doing that. Headed out for a gates belt and tensioner.

Last edited:

clawdog79

Reaction score
Posted a vid of my nosie. While engine is running I put a ratchet in the tensioner detent hole and manually tensioned it and the nosie would stop. Couldn't get a vid doing that. Headed out for a gates belt and tensioner.

The noise will likely return at some point with the Gates belt/tensioner. It did for me and some others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakalafus

Reaction score
Is this what everyone is hearing?
My noise is identical. It would not let me post the audio file but exactly the same.

Battleborn

Reaction score
New tensioner, original belt, noise gone. Belt only has 13k on it and wanted to change one thing at a time for process of elimination. Only could find Gates tensioner locally. If it starts up again ill just bring it back for a new one. 20min under the truck and 90$ worth it to me to have the nosie gone. The original tensioner has a weak spring compared to the new one. Also the new on has a metal pully instead of plastic.
20210603_141539.jpg

Last edited:

KBob

Reaction score
2020 SO with 10K 15 months old. I read about the squeak on FB first, and mine started this winter. I notice this is the first post in 6 weeks, so I assume it's an still an unresolved thing, other than greasing the belt? ............. Not my first choice, but that's just me. Following along now, but I can tolerate it as long as it won't strand me. Hats off to all of you that are holding the dealers feet to the fire. Anyone know if it will be covered under the "Engine and Drivetrain" 5/50?

georgebednar

Reaction score
2020 SO with 10K 15 months old. I read about the squeak on FB first, and mine started this winter. I notice this is the first post in 6 weeks, so I assume it's an still an unresolved thing, other than greasing the belt? ............. Not my first choice, but that's just me. Following along now, but I can tolerate it as long as it won't strand me. Hats off to all of you that are holding the dealers feet to the fire. Anyone know if it will be covered under the "Engine and Drivetrain" 5/50?
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie with the Cummins I bout back in October. It developed the squeak during the past winter as well. It would go away after warming up. Then it starting squealing more this Spring and never stops. It is not loud, but it is embarrassing to drive around a truck with 3,500 miles on it in this condition. The truck is currently at the dealer getting the tensioner and belt replace. Should be returned this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

KBob

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie with the Cummins I bout back in October. It developed the squeak during the past winter as well. It would go away after warming up. Then it starting squealing more this Spring and never stops. It is not loud, but it is embarrassing to drive around a truck with 3,500 miles on it in this condition. The truck is currently at the dealer getting the tensioner and belt replace. Should be returned this afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Hummm...... Throwing the same parts off the parts shelf on them hasn't seemed to be a permanent fix, but good on you for making them do it. Such a strange malady, Millions and Millions of serpentine systems on the road that don't make noise, and this one does with a vengeance. Someday someone will figure out exactly what's going on, but till then? It bums me yours got worse, I was kind of hoping it just would work itself in, and go away.
Hope it works out for you.

thrust

Reaction score
Unfortunately, as evidenced in this thread, the likelihood of the squeak returning is very high. I replaced my tensioner and belt with Gates parts and it only resolved for a short period. The only thing that has consistently provided relief is the dielectric grease.

georgebednar

Reaction score
Unfortunately, as evidenced in this thread, the likelihood of the squeak returning is very high. I replaced my tensioner and belt with Gates parts and it only resolved for a short period. The only thing that has consistently provided relief is the dielectric grease.

I totally agree with you guys in the fact that it will come back. My plan is to keep going back. Well technically. The dealer comes to the plant where I work, pick it up, take it to repair, and bring it back. I am only out the diesel from the 40 mile round trip. I figure sooner or later they will get tired of working on the same thing over and over and maybe find a fix.

I've thought about the dielectric grease, but there is something that make me think grease on a belt is not a good idea. Who knows maybe I will get to the point of just doing it.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
They should never have gone to a quiet injection pump and quieter hydraulic lifters.

The motor is now so quiet, everyone notices squeaking belts lol.

clawdog79

Reaction score

Agreed. This has resolved the problem for me for months now.

Lift89

Reaction score
Checking back in to see if anyone has heard a remedy or fix for this issue? Has FCA or a dealer or anyone found a fix?

Razzman

Reaction score
Well mine was done three weeks ago and now it's back with a vengeance, annoying as hell. Was going to take it back in next week to replace again but what's the sense in that since they just did it. obviously no solution. Gonna try the dielectric grease for now until they have a solid solution.

chuckwhanson

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 with 6000 miles has the chirping. Started about 4000 miles and the belt looks like it is showing some wear. I’ve had the whining sound in the same area that changes with RPM. Will see what dealer says at the 7500 mile service, but will probably pick up the gates belt and perhaps keep the old as an emergency spare.

I can hear the cp4. Sounds like I have some playing cards in my spokes. That doesn’t bother me as long as that asymmetrical piece of junk don’t give up on me.

I love the unique cummins sounds, but the chirping and whining noises are just annoying in a brand new truck. I can’t enjoy the valves rattling with that nonsense.

Is this chirping issue only on the diesel? Or does the gas version of the truck suffer from it as well? And has FCA found a fix for it yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread