Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Hard to interpret this message.. forgive me. Are you saying your trailer's GVWR is listed as 13,995 lbs. but physically has two 6,000 lb axles? Math doesnt add up.
Because the tow vehicle is expected to carry some of the weight. The camper as a whole is rated for 13,995lbs, including pin weight.
My TT is the same, GVWR is 7700, but has 2-3500lb axles.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Hard to interpret this message.. forgive me. Are you saying your trailer's GVWR is listed as 13,995 lbs. but physically has two 6,000 lb axles? Math doesnt add up.
Yes on the camper they assume the typical 20% pin weight on the truck.

2 x 6,000 axles plus the pin weight that is in the truck axle. That's how all trailers are built.

My 7,000 gross utility (2 x 3500 lb axles, empty weight 1900 lbs) trailer is also advertised as 6,000 lb payload with 1,0000 lb tongue weight transferred to the truck. Weight on the truck axle is not on the trailer while in tow.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Yes on the camper they assume the typical 20% pin weight on the truck.

2 x 6,000 axles plus the pin weight that is in the truck axle. That's how all trailers are built.

My 7,000 gross utility (2 x 3500 lb axles, empty weight 1900 lbs) trailer is also advertised as 6,000 lb payload with 1,0000 lb tongue weight transferred to the truck. Weight on the truck axle is not on the trailer while in tow.

That makes more sense i suppose on a 5er vs. a bumper pull trailer since more of the trailer weight is transferred to the tow vehicle with a 5er... My last toyhauler was a bumper pulled 26ft listed as 10,400lb GVWR. It had 2 5200 lb 6 lug axles underneath it. Empty weight was around 7000 lbs.

Our current 5th wheel is listed as 14k GVWR and has 2 7k lb axles. Empty weight on this one is 10,150.

Maybe they do the math differently for toyboxes? Not sure.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Hooked up to the travel trailer and moved it from my driveway to its summer home in Butler PA. It will sit at Buttercup Woodlands campground except for when we have our trips planned. What's nice about a seasonal is that I have my Armstrong cable internet and wifi in my camper, PVC sewage pipes to a sewage treatment facility within the property, power and water and then there is the friends you make since your there so often. When my wife wanted to do a seasonal site last year, I thought she was nuts. Now, I can't wait for 4/15 for the campground to open!
df3c08e6a2c84aea086b1b4f209da832.jpg
536e9b1ecc2a83897603792255657b8a.jpg

BurnMac42

Reaction score
2017 Forest River 315 pack 12. This is my first 5er and was wondering if the amount of squat the truck is doing is ok? Truck is a 2020 3500 S.O......it pulled like a dream on the highway. I just pulled a TT 2 weeks ago that weighed about 3# less than the 5er and I could feel it swaying the rear end a little......this thing was solid down the highway......still wanted to run it past the experts here though!
Truck Camper.jpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
5th wheels tow sooooooooooooooooo nice compared to a large bumper pull RV. I hated losing the bed space when we upgraded to a 5er, but the tow experience is so much better.

No more feeling like youre getting blown off the highway every time a semi passes you.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2017 Forest River 315 pack 12. This is my first 5er and was wondering if the amount of squat the truck is doing is ok? Truck is a 2020 3500 S.O......it pulled like a dream on the highway. I just pulled a TT 2 weeks ago that weighed about 3# less than the 5er and I could feel it swaying the rear end a little......this thing was solid down the highway......still wanted to run it past the experts here though!
View attachment 14987

Seems a bit much for squat. How much total did it drop?

You also seem to be running nose high on the fiver which is going to put more weight and wear on the rear axle tires.

What hitch are you using and is the kingpin behind the axle by any chance?

My buddy pulls a monster Cardinal with his 2008 3500 QCLB with a B&W hitch and has about that much squat but I'm guessing his pin weight is a bit more.

While I'm sure it hauls great, I've always felt that bags help firm up the handling and get you level to boot. Probably would take much 15-25 PSI or so to get you there.

BurnMac42

Reaction score
Seems a bit much for squat. How much total did it drop?

You also seem to be running nose high on the fiver which is going to put more weight and wear on the rear axle tires.

What hitch are you using and is the kingpin behind the axle by any chance?

My buddy pulls a monster Cardinal with his 2008 3500 QCLB with a B&W hitch and has about that much squat but I'm guessing his pin weight is a bit more.

While I'm sure it hauls great, I've always felt that bags help firm up the handling and get you level to boot. Probably would take much 15-25 PSI or so to get you there.
Towing with the Reese Goosebox 2.0.....I mentioned the angle on the 5er at the dealership and the tech did point out that it's empty. So filling it up will probably drop the angle on the 5er but would presumably drop the trucks rear end more too....it's a toy hauler with the garage empty right now but we will eventually be loading the garage up with gear, etc which will help the truck rear end but not the 5er lol.......not sure what to do

I'll be hooking up again this weekend. I'll take measurements of how much the truck drops, how much space is between the bedrail and camper, etc to see if there is some adjustment needed. The pinbox has the ability to adjust up and down so that might be a starting point to at least get some weight off the rear axle of the camper..

Last edited:

406Linetrash

Reaction score
View attachment 14987
Seems to be fine. Toy haulers are so damn pin heavy empty.

Wouldn't hurt to drop your hitch a bitch and put on some airbags.

BurnMac42

Reaction score
So I measured the truck squat unloaded and loaded today. The rear end only went down 2.5" which to me doesn't seem too bad at all....the picture definitely made it seem lower than it was. I walked around it again today and it isn't near as bad as the pic made it look.....now for the 5er I could probably lower it down one notch. I've got about 8 inches between bedrail and cap....that will help level the trailer out...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So I measured the truck squat unloaded and loaded today. The rear end only went down 2.5" which to me doesn't seem too bad at all....the picture definitely made it seem lower than it was. I walked around it again today and it isn't near as bad as the pic made it look.....now for the 5er I could probably lower it down one notch. I've got about 8 inches between bedrail and cap....that will help level the trailer out...

Good call.

Unless you have some extreme angles 90% won't see. 6.5'-7" is enough clearance for most.

Users who are viewing this thread