Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

Streamline19

Reaction score
Figured I'd join the party on this one. My 2020 3500 with 1600 miles developed the "chirp" a couple weeks ago. Took it in this past Monday, Dealer called following morning saying they couldn't recreate the noise. Like a lot of you, its been doing it on every start for weeks, so headed to the dealer and started it up and there was the chirp. The service advisor didnt have anything to say but we'll take it back in and get back with me. Well I still haven't heard from the dealer yet...I will post back when I get an update from the dealer.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Figured I'd join the party on this one. My 2020 3500 with 1600 miles developed the "chirp" a couple weeks ago. Took it in this past Monday, Dealer called following morning saying they couldn't recreate the noise. Like a lot of you, its been doing it on every start for weeks, so headed to the dealer and started it up and there was the chirp. The service advisor didnt have anything to say but we'll take it back in and get back with me. Well I still haven't heard from the dealer yet...I will post back when I get an update from the dealer.
Ya it sometimes makes a person wonder if you have to hold their hand and point your with your other hand to steer them in the right direction :rolleyes: .

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

We hear your concerns and are sorry that you're currently experiencing these noises. If anyone decides to get this addressed by a certified Ram dealer and would like additional support to get this resolved, you are more than welcome to reach out to our @RamCares team! Additionally, if you are currently working with your dealer, please keep us updated on your progress so we can see your resolution through until the end, should any concerns arise during the process. Thank you & have an awesome weekend!

Courtney
Ram Cares

Streamline19

Reaction score
I ended up calling the dealer for an update, service advisor told me that Chrysler told them not to do anything and to tell me to come back when it is louder/more prevalent...I asked the service advisor what “louder” means, no reply. I’m going to pick it up and drive it for a couple days and take it back...maybe to a different dealer, not sure yet.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I've got it too. My local dealer didn't give me the runaround on it either. They have replaced the belt tensioner and the belt itself. The issue was gone for around 2k miles and it has now shown back up. I have an appointment to take it back in and see if they can push it any further with FCA. I am also speaking with a friend that owns a diesel performance shop about possibly just paying out of pocket for some higher quality aftermarket parts. I'll keep you guys posted.

thrust

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 with 6,500 miles developed this problem a few thousand miles back. I tried belt dressing to no avail.

Last week, I ordered the Gates tensioner and Gates HD belt. I installed them today, which was a PITA, but the squeak is now gone.

I hope this is a permanent solution. I paid a little over $100 for the parts and scratched the sh*t out of my arms and wrists but it beats going to the dealer.

I will update in this thread if the noise returns.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

TheBackRoads

Reaction score
I'm back at the dealer as of Monday. Recap - First dealer put a belt on, said the factory one was bad. Second dealer did the tensioner, now I'm back at the second dealer 2 weeks later, and what are they doing? Yep, another belt. I hope they ordered more than one... Yes each time the noise has gone away for a bit, but does come back. This is getting exciting! :p

I wanted to update everyone. 3rd time to the dealer they replaced the belt again, but saw this on my slip. "Contacted STAR. STAR states to clean the paint off the crank pulley. Cleaned paint off the crank pulley and replaced the belt due to residue being on belt" So far ~1000 miles later still quiet.

STAR.PNG

sstoner911

Reaction score
Well, after reading this entire thread - I am guessing my problem will come back, At 14K the chirping crickets started and the dealer replaced the belt. Now at 18K its back and its at the dealer - waiting on the install of 2 pulleys.

Streamline19

Reaction score
Im going to take mine back next week, the sounds never went away and Chrysler stating "do nothing until the sound is louder and more prevalent" doesn't sit well with me. Debating on trying a different dealer, or keep it at the same one since we are already going in circles together...who knows. Ill update once I take it back in and hear back from the dealer.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Im going to take mine back next week, the sounds never went away and Chrysler stating "do nothing until the sound is louder and more prevalent" doesn't sit well with me. Debating on trying a different dealer, or keep it at the same one since we are already going in circles together...who knows. Ill update once I take it back in and hear back from the dealer.

It sounds like they are saying they are to lazy to trouble shoot since the culprit isn't glaring at them. Good Luck.

AlphaOmega

Reaction score
Hi All. New here. Just jumping in to say same thing is happening to my truck. 2020 3500 HO Cummins. Chirp/squeak started a few weeks ago. Pretty much there all the time. Had it at dealer yesterday and they tried to say they didn't hear it. I show up at end of day to pick it up and it's still there. Had the tech come over and listen with me. Now they are ordering a new belt (without even looking at it further) and trying that. Ugh....looks like I'm gonna be spending more time at the dealer as they piecemeal this. Have some other issues that popped up since the dealer visit yesterday, but will start new post about that.

BigBoy2500

Reaction score
I had same issue with SO Cummins. It was caused by the idler pulley. Dealer figured it out.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Well, I guess we shall see if the new Idler and tension pulley fix it. Been 70 during the day here and it was still squeaking when I took it in.... so we shall see how long this lasts!
20210212_112658.jpg

thrust

Reaction score
Update...

Per my post a few up from this one, I installed the Gates HD belt and Gates tensioner.

It's been just under 800 miles since the install and the noise is mostly gone. Occasionally, it will squeak a bit just after I start it in the morning. The squeak here will last until I pull away but has stopped by the time I reach operating temperature.

The green HD belt has a light discoloration, likely residue from the crank pulley.

It would be my recommendation that one heed the advice given earlier in this thread and sand the paint from the crank pulley before installing a new belt. I wish I had seen that tip beforehand.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I bet the squeak will return in another 1k miles or so.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Update...

Per my post a few up from this one, I installed the Gates HD belt and Gates tensioner.

It's been just under 800 miles since the install and the noise is mostly gone. Occasionally, it will squeak a bit just after I start it in the morning. The squeak here will last until I pull away but has stopped by the time I reach operating temperature.

The green HD belt has a light discoloration, likely residue from the crank pulley.

It would be my recommendation that one heed the advice given earlier in this thread and sand the paint from the crank pulley before installing a new belt. I wish I had seen that tip beforehand.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I bet the squeak will return in another 1k miles or so.

I would look to see if the belt moves from side to side...may have to change the idle pulley as well

clawdog79

Reaction score
I drove my truck for 1200 miles without any unusual noises after replacing the belt and belt tensioner with Gates products, but the same noise has returned. At this point I suspect that the idler pulley is part of the problem. I’m going to replace it next and see if that helps.

Anthom11

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 2500 Cummins and have had the belt chirping for about 3000 miles. I found this thread a while back and have changed the belt to the gates green heavy duty belt and the tensioner. After about 1000 miles the chirp came back. So I sprayed belt dressing on it and it went away only to come back the next day. Thinking about taking it to the dealer but after reading this whole thread my hopes are not very high with that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 2500 Cummins and have had the belt chirping for about 3000 miles. I found this thread a while back and have changed the belt to the gates green heavy duty belt and the tensioner. After about 1000 miles the chirp came back. So I sprayed belt dressing on it and it went away only to come back the next day. Thinking about taking it to the dealer but after reading this whole thread my hopes are not very high with that.

Have you checked for paint on any pulleys/idlers and cleaned it off?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have a brand new in box Gates tensioner and belt
(Single alternator)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thrust

Reaction score
Have you checked for paint on any pulleys/idlers and cleaned it off?
What would be the best way to accomplish this, a wire brush perhaps? The crank pulley is ribbed so sandpaper wouldn't work. Honestly, I doubt I'll pull the belt off again until someone confirms this eliminates the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread