Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Is the FCA part of the TSB? If the pump has the ticking, does it qualify for the TSB fix?

Negative. The pump was ticking due to a part by both S&S and II for their CP3 swap conversion kits that had an issue. Contacting them (both parties above depending on your conversion) has resulted in new FCAs being send out and the pump tick no longer being an issue.

I cannot speak to the CP4 or the TSBs you might be looking at.

However one indicator these guys found was looking at demanded vs actual FRP and if it’s (actual fuel rail pressure) all over the place with the audible tick you may want to consider a replacement regardless of pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Viper67....are you able to point me to a link for this? I’ve seen a lot of conflicting information on this topic and would love to see something that totally confirms. Thanks!
I have a longtime confirmed RAM/Cummins mechanic on another forum and pics that 2021 has CP3's.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I also saw this on a facebook group im in. Guy posted his 2021 limited and it sure looks like a CP3 in it. I have a 21 coming, and that is huge good news to me!
Lucky you. Bought a 2020 and never gave a thought to checking for issues. Had thought CUMMINS/RAM had longevity in their blood. Kinda back to the VP44 of yesteryear on this one....2021 should be rock solid. Every time I travel with the 5th wheel, I'll have to plan for the 5th wheel getting towed and the truck towed, hotel rooms etc until it gets changed.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Lucky you. Bought a 2020 and never gave a thought to checking for issues. Had thought CUMMINS/RAM had longevity in their blood. Kinda back to the VP44 of yesteryear on this one....2021 should be rock solid. Every time I travel with the 5th wheel, I'll have to plan for the 5th wheel getting towed and the truck towed, hotel rooms etc until it gets changed.
I'll be renewing my Good Sam's towing package.

D

Deleted member 80

At least with the VP44 all you had to do, basically, was install a fuel pressure gauge to make sure the lift pump was doing its job.

rsday75

Reaction score
I don't see any benefit with these that isn't covered by adding roadside to an insurance policy. Costs me $36/year.
Check close.....My agent told me the $36 plan through State Farm would cover any trailer I was towing.......
Upon calling the Corporate number......I found this to not be true. Only covered my vehicle. (I called because I tried to use the coverage with a flat on my travel trailer in a kind of dangerous place.....that is when I found out vehicle only.....now that I have a much larger 5th wheel, I want a company that knows large trailers......)
I checked with Progressive and Farm Bureau. Their plans also didn't cover a trailer either. The kind of hide this fact.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Check close.....My agent told me the $36 plan through State Farm would cover any trailer I was towing.......
Upon calling the Corporate number......I found this to not be true. Only covered my vehicle. (I called because I tried to use the coverage with a flat on my travel trailer in a kind of dangerous place.....that is when I found out vehicle only.....now that I have a much larger 5th wheel, I want a company that knows large trailers......)
I checked with Progressive and Farm Bureau. Their plans also didn't cover a trailer either. The kind of hide this fact.

I have my Fifth wheel RV trailer policy with progressive. However, I misspoke. The RV trailer roadside is $13/year.

Sowa

Reaction score
Genuine question.

Poked RamCares, unfortunately they cannot help until concerns are serviceable.

Is it possible to differentiate a pump that will fail due to premature failure? Signs to look out for? TSB to bring the truck in against?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I don't see any benefit with these that isn't covered by adding roadside to an insurance policy. Costs me $36/year.
Will your road side assistance tow your truck and your 5th wheel? Good Sam's has delivered campers to a campground, then towed the truck to the dealer. Will roadside assistance r&r a tire on your camper? Or are you just assuming it will be done?

ownz0rjoo

Reaction score
Genuine question.

Poked RamCares, unfortunately they cannot help until concerns are serviceable.

Is it possible to differentiate a pump that will fail due to premature failure? Signs to look out for? TSB to bring the truck in against?
I have the same question. I have the multi dimple pump, the old CP4.2. RamCares has not even responded to me. I really would like to figure out a way to get this thing fixed prior to it exploding lol.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I would expect everyone with a 4 to be on your own

Their structure allows them to repair if and when and still meet their requirements for if and when it fails at a cost they can accept and probably have already budgeted.

Either swap, or wait those are your options. Swap and maybe they look past it or wait and if it goes hope it’s within warranty and they swap with a 3 st that point.

Either way it’s game of dice. Some get lucky others don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cummins3

Reaction score
As stated before and a question to who's had a cp4 replaced..... Are they/don't believe they are swapping blown cp4 with cp3.?

mra400ex

Reaction score
Everyone needs to remain vocal about this issue. I would relate it to the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) on the 7.3L Powerstroke. Both Ford and IHC had to issue recalls on this. I remember the recall letter stated the reason was that the sensor could cause the vehicle to quit at any time and therefore it was unsafe. So what would be the difference with the unexpected failure of the CP4 pump. Whether in a busy intersection, going up or down a large hill or whatever. Engine stops running there is no power steering or power brakes. Seems unsafe to me. With the 7.3 CPS it was hit and miss. And you could restart.

I just went to the NHTSA website. There are only a handful of complaints listed on the CP4. One report was very well written. Perhaps all RAM 3500 owners should enter a complaint. It may be the only way to get this taken care of with the CP3 conversion.

Last edited:

mra400ex

Reaction score
This is one of the complaints to the NHTSA.

THE 2019 TO 2020 MODEL YEAR RAM 2500 HEAVY DUTY EQUIPPED WITH A 6.7L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE HAS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE THAT COULD CAUSE A STALL AND INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH. THE BOSCH CP4.2 FUEL INJECTION PUMP HAS A VERY HIGH RATE OF SUDDEN FAILURE LEADING TO IMMEDIATE STOPPAGE ON THE ENGINE AND ENGINE BRAKING SYSTEM. THE PUMP DESTROYS ITSELF AND TAKES OUT THE REST OF THE ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM LEADING TO REPAIRS IN THE $20,000 USD RANGE. FCA & RAM HAVE ATTEMPTED TO REVISE THE PUMP IN LATE (JULY) 2020 TO SOLVE THE ISSUE BUT THE FAILURES KEEP OCCURRING. FOR THE 2021 MODEL YEAR, FCA & RAM HAVE CHANGED THE PUMP ENTIRELY AND REVERTED BACK TO USING AN OLDER, SAFER, MORE RELIABLE DESIGN. NO PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS OF NEITHER THE PUMP REVISION IN 2020, NOR THE PUMP CHANGE IN 2021 HAVE BEEN MADE. THE ISSUE IS SO PREVALENT THAT THE REPLACEMENT PUMPS AND REPAIRS GENERALLY HAVE A 30-90 DAY WAIT PERIOD WHERE THE CUSTOMER IS WITHOUT THE PRIMARY VEHICLE. THIS PROBLEM IS A SUBSTANTIATED SAFETY RISK. ACCORDING TO A TEXAS JUDGE IN A BOSCH CP4.2 LAWSUIT, WHEN ANOTHER AUTOMAKER, GM TRIED TO DISMISS THE CASE SAYING THE PUMP FAILURE IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE, THE COURT RESPONDED: "THE WORST CASE SCENARIO OF A TRUCK SPONTANEOUSLY STALLING AT HIGH SPEEDS IS NOT A MERE INCONVENIENCE. NOR IS IT A MERE INCONVENIENCE TO SPEND BETWEEN $8,000 TO $20,000 ON REPAIRS TO MAKE THE TRUCKS FIT FOR THEIR ORDINARY PURPOSE. THE COURT REJECTS GM'S SUGGESTION THAT THE RISK OF SPONTANEOUS ENGINE FAILURE WHILE DRIVING IS NOT, AS A MATTER OF LAW, UNREASONABLY DANGEROUS, DEPRIVING THE VEHICLES OF FITNESS FOR THEIR PURPOSE OF TRANSPORTATION.". TOYOTA AGREES: "IF A VEHICLE STALL OCCURS WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHER SPEEDS, THIS COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH". FCA & RAM HAVE REMEDIED THE SITUATION FOR THE 2021 MODEL YEAR HOWEVER, THE 2019 AND 2020 OWNERS ARE STILL AT RISK. THE NHTSA NEEDS TO FORCE FCA TO RECALL THESE TRUCKS.

1 Affected Product

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
How dare they all-cap my complaint and make me seem like a yelling boomer. I put that on there a few days ago and they already approved and posted it.

I would get to writing, Gents.

I was just going to reply that was a member that posted that!.

Users who are viewing this thread