Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

NTexasCummins

Reaction score
No I did not. I only have 4,900 miles on it.
That's what I was interested in since a lot of people say the dealer is putting a new belt on and it goes away for awhile. Since you just did the tensioner and the noise is gone, sounds like it's just the tensioner. I believe the tensioner to be the culprit on mine as well. I Have 4900 miles too so I am going to throw on the tensioner and a new belt and roll with it. Do you have the part number from Napa?

Lift89

Reaction score
That's what I was interested in since a lot of people say the dealer is putting a new belt on and it goes away for awhile. Since you just did the tensioner and the noise is gone, sounds like it's just the tensioner. I believe the tensioner to be the culprit on mine as well. I Have 4900 miles too so I am going to throw on the tensioner and a new belt and roll with it. Do you have the part number from Napa?

NTexasCummins

Reaction score
Well I gave the tensioner a try today and it didn't fix it for me. It seems different a little but still there. Its not super cold so I'll try it in the morning when it's colder to see how it sounds. I will say that mine is pretty rhythmic. its like 4-5 chirps every little bit, not a constant chirp. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. Just sucks that dealers here in DFW don't seem to have any loaner cars at the moment. Little ticked that I'm gonna be stranded without a vehicle while my 4,000 mile truck goes in.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Well I gave the tensioner a try today and it didn't fix it for me. It seems different a little but still there. Its not super cold so I'll try it in the morning when it's colder to see how it sounds. I will say that mine is pretty rhythmic. its like 4-5 chirps every little bit, not a constant chirp. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. Just sucks that dealers here in DFW don't seem to have any loaner cars at the moment. Little ticked that I'm gonna be stranded without a vehicle while my 4,000 mile truck goes in.
Apologies for the frustration, @NTexasCummins. If it would be of interest, our team is always a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Lift89

Reaction score
Hello all, ya after replacing the tensioner pulley last week, it’s finally cold again and the chirp/squeak is still there. So idk wtf it is. So annoying being a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lift89

Reaction score

Ya mine came back now that it’s really cold out. Any luck with yours?

NTexasCummins

Reaction score
Ya mine came back now that it’s really cold out. Any luck with yours?

No not yet it’s only on cold mornings though. Still having issues finding a dealer with loaners so I have a vehicle while mine is down

Lift89

Reaction score
No not yet it’s only on cold mornings though. Still having issues finding a dealer with loaners so I have a vehicle while mine is down

Keep us posted. Maybe the pulleys are out of alignment. I’m going to test that theory when I’m off next. (Spray a little water on inside of belt, if it temporarily goes away, that’s a sign of pulley misalignment).

NTexasCummins

Reaction score
Keep us posted. Maybe the pulleys are out of alignment. I’m going to test that theory when I’m off next. (Spray a little water on inside of belt, if it temporarily goes away, that’s a sign of pulley misalignment).

Mine is weird because it has a rhythm to it almost and pauses lol. It’s not like a normal belt squeak. I seem to notice it most on the passenger side when I stand at the front.

Lift89

Reaction score
Mine is weird because it has a rhythm to it almost and pauses lol. It’s not like a normal belt squeak. I seem to notice it most on the passenger side when I stand at the front.

Yep. Me too. It’s a chirp with a rhythm. It’s consistent.

BossHawg42

Reaction score
I have a 2020 that I just purchased at the end of September and now has 5300 miles. I took it to the dealership for the chirping and it came out with the CP4 high pressure fuel pump buzzing noise as well as the chirp I brought it in for. Pretty awesome that I send it in with 1 issue and it comes out with 2. Anyway, I was told by the manager that both noises were "normal" but he said he filed a claim and said if a fix is developed I would be notified. I find it odd that "the intermittent noise I am hearing is normal", direct quote from the manager. I really dont think I am going to get anywhere with the dealership. Has anyone had issues with both? I am not a engine guy, could they be related at all?

Lift89

Reaction score
Called FCA and local dealer. FCA hasn’t heard anything about it. So they said, it must not be a huge problem. Could just be a small amount of Trucks affected. Hopefully we hear something soon or someone find a remedy.

Lift89

Reaction score
I have a 2020 that I just purchased at the end of September and now has 5300 miles. I took it to the dealership for the chirping and it came out with the CP4 high pressure fuel pump buzzing noise as well as the chirp I brought it in for. Pretty awesome that I send it in with 1 issue and it comes out with 2. Anyway, I was told by the manager that both noises were "normal" but he said he filed a claim and said if a fix is developed I would be notified. I find it odd that "the intermittent noise I am hearing is normal", direct quote from the manager. I really dont think I am going to get anywhere with the dealership. Has anyone had issues with both? I am not a engine guy, could they be related at all?

Looks like no one knows anything yet. Sometimes a new pulley and belt fixes it. But other times that doesn’t work.

And the CP4 noise would scare me. I go in to get the CP3 conversion done Dec 1st. So f*** that CP4 lol. Junk.

People said to try an HD belt by gates. PN K081244HD. I haven’t done that yet, but it’s my next options once I eliminate that it’s NOT a pulley or bearing.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Called FCA and local dealer. FCA hasn’t heard anything about it. So they said, it must not be a huge problem. Could just be a small amount of Trucks affected. Hopefully we hear something soon or someone find a remedy.

Hello @BossHawg42 and @Lift89
We are very sorry to hear about the concerns you are facing with your vehicles. Our team would be happy to look into this further on your behalf. Please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage in order for us to assist.

Kathryn
RamCares

Xflight29

Reaction score
2020 here 3k miles, chirp started within a month. First trip to the dealer they replaced the belt. Second trip to the dealer they replaced the belt with a 2018 belt. Chirp is back a week later. Dealer is waiting to hear back from "star" since Monday.

Should I just drop the truck off again so they're forced to deal with it? They obviously can't diagnose anything without the vehicle present. Also would like to get the lemon law clock ticking if they are just going to drag their feet.
Lemon law on a chirp? Not to sure about that.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
2020 here 3k miles, chirp started within a month. First trip to the dealer they replaced the belt. Second trip to the dealer they replaced the belt with a 2018 belt. Chirp is back a week later. Dealer is waiting to hear back from "star" since Monday.

Should I just drop the truck off again so they're forced to deal with it? They obviously can't diagnose anything without the vehicle present. Also would like to get the lemon law clock ticking if they are just going to drag their feet.
We are very sorry to hear about the ongoing concern you've faced with your vehicle! This is not at all the experience we expect for our customers. If you would like us to look into this further for you and offer our additional support, please send our team a private message with your VIN and mileage. Thank you!

Kathryn
RamCares

Xflight29

Reaction score
This is my first time spending 60k on a new truck, so it's frustrating and I'm probably reaching a bit.

But It looks like the only thing not covered under lemon law here would be "An alleged nonconformity does not substantially impair the use and value of the vehicle"

In my opinion it does both. The chirp is an obvious sign of a failing or feel your frustrations defective part. I'm not confident when traveling that something won't fail.
I
This is my first time spending 60k on a new truck, so it's frustrating and I'm probably reaching a bit.

But It looks like the only thing not covered under lemon law here would be "An alleged nonconformity does not substantially impair the use and value of the vehicle"

In my opinion it does both. The chirp is an obvious sign of a failing or defective part. I'm not confident when traveling that something won't fail.
I feel you frustration spending that amount on a vehicle we want them right.

Lift89

Reaction score
I

I feel you frustration spending that amount on a vehicle we want them right.

Right. However all these people getting warranty work done just to have the same defective part put back on it and have it squeak and chirp several miles later is a pain in the ass. So I upgraded my pulley, that did not work.

So to eliminate pulleys or bearing i spray the inside of the stock belt with water and the noise went away. Then came back.

So next I’m going to put a heavy duty belt on it. Gates green HD belt. PN K081244HD.

Spraying the water means one of two things. ****ty belt or a misalignment on the pulleys. I’m assuming it’s the belt and when people replacing the belt, it goes away for a short time then comes back.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Users who are viewing this thread