Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mirror auxiliary reverse lights not working right.

Razzman

Reaction score
So after reading all of this i have one question: How exactly do these mirror reverse lights work? Do they only work via the cargo light switch when in reverse?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So after reading all of this i have one question: How exactly do these mirror reverse lights work? Do they only work via the cargo light switch when in reverse?
They only function when the lower portion of the headlight switch is depressed. The truck has a built in automatic white light cut-out programmed in when the truck is moving forward. As long as the truck is in P - N - R, the reverse spotter lamps are selected to turn on with the cargo lamps (via uconnect vehicle options), and the cargo light switch is activated, the lights should turn on and stay on. They should not be switching off when the OP is moving in reverse. I’m wondering if there’s some white light cut-out programmed on his truck that’s cutting them off when in motion. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere but I can’t find it now.

Razzman

Reaction score
Having
They only function when the lower portion of the headlight switch is depressed. The truck has a built in automatic white light cut-out programmed in when the truck is moving forward. As long as the truck is in P - N - R, the reverse spotter lamps are selected to turn on with the cargo lamps (via uconnect vehicle options), and the cargo light switch is activated, the lights should turn on and stay on. They should not be switching off when the OP is moving in reverse. I’m wondering if there’s some white light cut-out programmed on his truck that’s cutting them off when in motion. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere but I can’t find it now.
Having a California truck mine don't work at all since they are disabled from the factory, hence the reason I asked. Trying to determine if it's even worth doing so, I rarely ever have a scenario where more light is needed in reverse as the Limited has good backup lights imo. But i can see using them when backing the trailer at night, which also is rare as I'm usually parked and setup by dark anyway. But it could happen and they'd be handy to have.

mountainears

Reaction score
I enabled mine for that chance I may want / need them. I don’t think I would buy AlphaOBD just for this feature though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzman

Reaction score
I enabled mine for that chance I may want / need them. I don’t think I would buy AlphaOBD just for this feature though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neither would I. Bought 5 years ago for my 2017 and have used it many times.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
They put off a lot of light.
Look in my build thread about me adding some Baja design lights to the rear bumper. There is a picture in there with just the mirror lights on. I was surprised at how much they light up

Razzman

Reaction score
They put off a lot of light.
Look in my build thread about me adding some Baja design lights to the rear bumper. There is a picture in there with just the mirror lights on. I was surprised at how much they light up
So I enabled them no issues. Tested and they come on and stay on in reverse and off in drive. Also changed the fog lights to not drop out with high beams and corrected the tire size as well, spot on. Thanks for the assist!

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
So I enabled them no issues. Tested and they come on and stay on in reverse and off in drive. Also changed the fog lights to not drop out with high beams and corrected the tire size as well, spot on. Thanks for the assist!
I would like to do exactly the same plus lower the tire pressure sensor alert. I really want the mirror reverse lights to function while backing (Cali truck), fog lights stay on with high beam, correct tire size for speedo and lower the tire pressure alert numbers. Wish I knew someone that had the equipment needed and savey with this stuff. Dangit, guess I need to start reading and learning....

Razzman

Reaction score
I would like to do exactly the same plus lower the tire pressure sensor alert. I really want the mirror reverse lights to function while backing (Cali truck), fog lights stay on with high beam, correct tire size for speedo and lower the tire pressure alert numbers. Wish I knew someone that had the equipment needed and savey with this stuff. Dangit, guess I need to start reading and learning....
It's not hard to do and the stuff needed isn't that much versus having the dealer doing it (if they even will). Paying attention to what your doing is key when using AlphaOBD, some things have to be done in a certain order and you can hose stuff up. There's an AlphaOBD thread that lays out how to do it all.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not hard to do and the stuff needed isn't that much versus having the dealer doing it (if they even will). Paying attention to what your doing is key when using AlphaOBD, some things have to be done in a certain order and you can hose stuff up. There's an AlphaOBD thread that lays out how to do it all.

Step 1. Learn how to save the BCM backup file.

I think JScan can probably do all those items AND it can program Key FOBs. However, it won't backup the BCM config.

Dealer can't do any of that except charge a crapton of money for a FOB.

Last edited:

Razzman

Reaction score
Step 1. Learn how to save the BCM backup file.

I think JScan can probably do all those items AND it can program Key FOBs. However, it won't backup the BCM config.

Dealer can't do any of that except charge a crapton of money for a FOB.
wasn't even aware of JSCAN. Just downloaded it to my Android to check it out.

Units

Reaction score
I like it. I have both JScan and AlfaOBD and like both, but JScan is easier for many things.
Can you do a stationary desoot with JScan if necessary? Was thinking about getting it since I have an iPhone. Would like to have that feature in my arsenal just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread