Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Reaction score
It’s very very rare to find a dealer in CA that doesn’t push add ons like protection pkgs or nitrogen etc. typically the ones who don’t are in the more rural areas. Of course you might get lucky or try turtle click in Irvine but for the most part, nobody will beat mark dodge or Koons unless they are dumping a unit on the lot to get their bonus or whatever else.
Dealers will always try and sell you extras, no matter what state you’re in. I agree, you will probably get a good deal at dealerships like Mark Dodge, Koons, and Granger. The question is, is it worth the cost of the trip to fly out to wherever you’re buying your truck. You have the cost of the plane ticket, the cost of hotels, and the cost of gas ⛽️. You can also have it shipped to you, but that could well cost you over a $1,000, depending on where you’re purchasing the truck and where it will be delivered.

When I ordered my truck in March of 2023, 4% under invoice was the best deal I could get. And that included at Mark Dodge and Granger. It made no sense to me to fly half way across the country to purchase a truck when I could purchase it in state at the same price. For instance, I would have used about 110 more gallons of gas ⛽️ to drive from Mark Dodge to my home, than from Tuttle-Click. Three nights in a hotel from Mark Dodge, verses no nights in a hotel from TC. Air fare is probably around the same price.

With the above said, an out of state dealer would have to offer me at least $1500 under anything I would pay in state. Plus, I want to inspect that truck before it leaves the lot.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Dealers will always try and sell you extras, no matter what state you’re in. I agree, you will probably get a good deal at dealerships like Mark Dodge, Koons, and Granger. The question is, is it worth the cost of the trip to fly out to wherever you’re buying your truck. You have the cost of the plane ticket, the cost of hotels, and the cost of gas ⛽️. You can also have it shipped to you, but that could well cost you over a $1,000, depending on where you’re purchasing the truck and where it will be delivered.

When I ordered my truck in March of 2023, 4% under invoice was the best deal I could get. And that included at Mark Dodge and Granger. It made no sense to me to fly half way across the country to purchase a truck when I could purchase it in state at the same price. For instance, I would have used about 110 more gallons of gas ⛽️ to drive from Mark Dodge to my home, than from Tuttle-Click. Three nights in a hotel from Mark Dodge, verses no nights in a hotel from TC. Air fare is probably around the same price.

With the above said, an out of state dealer would have to offer me at least $1500 under anything I would pay in state. Plus, I want to inspect that truck before it leaves the lot.

figure someone will correct me - but Mark Dodge/Granger seemed to have really taken off during covid. they both were selling at 4% under invoice during 2021-2022 while dealers across the nation were selling above MSRP. so the west coast guys would spend $2k to have the their truck shipped and still save $8-10k over what they could buy one "locally". Even if you go back a year to March of last year, very few dealers in my area were budging much off MSRP.

We still have dealers now that aren't at 4% under invoice on a dealer discount (excluding rebates). back in Nov/Dec when Ram had the 10% rebate (which equated to 20-22% off for Mark Dodge/Granger), a large dealer that moves a lot of HDs was advertising 10% off...literally the rebate only...and they probably had buyers just glad to not be paying sticker.

with that said, some of the heavy discounters in my area still can't get to the same discounts as the dealers on here, but the days of MSRP are long gone and the spread just isn't as large as it was back during coivd....so yeah, it your local guy matches a dealer 1500-2000 miles away, that's not even a discussion.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score

While I agree with you, you’re forgetting some register in Oregon and other low or no tax states. A CA buyer pays 9k in taxes on a truck at turtle click (no way around that one), registers at a family’s house in Oregon for $0. I’d drive cross country to do that…

Typically even without that figured in, all those 3 will be atleast 3k less than anyone else. Even 1,500 shipping. You’re still saving. These dealers have a great reputation and I’ve read stories were they have fixed issues after the fact so I don’t see the downside

daemonic3

Reaction score
I'm not following the tax thing here. No matter what state you buy in, if you have an Oregon zip code you don't pay the sales tax, because it is calculated when you give them your home zip code. If you only have a cali zip you pay your home zip code (city or county) rate. I'm trying to figure out where the driving across country part helps with taxes, hopefully I can learn something new here

My understanding for out of state buyers is when paying cash you don't pay any sales tax, you will pay it when you reg with the DMV back home. If you finance though, the dealership has to charge your home taxes on the spot or roll it into the finance.

Anyway wouldn't it be cool if at least we (Californians) could buy across the border and do our trade in NV or AZ, and only pay cali taxes on the difference? I would love that but I don't think that's a use tax loophole.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
resident of CA pays cash, registers to an address in OR or another low tax or tax free state- pays 0 to almost nothing. A year later, registers the car in CA- transfers with no tax due since it’s not a sale.

Downside is no financing. People do this all the time with supercars and RV’s with LLC’s.
If you buy in CA and it’s delivered within the borders of the state, tax is collected by dealer so that makes it necessary to buy outside the state. Does that shed light on the savings?

Other ways a CA resident can save- let’s say you live in a high tax city with 10.25% sales tax. Obtain a temporary PO Box or use a friends/relatives address for your Registration address at time
Of purchase from a much lower taxes City. some are as low 7.5%. Just that trick would save you as much as $2500 on a purchase. Totally legal, Thank me later.
I'm not following the tax thing here. No matter what state you buy in, if you have an Oregon zip code you don't pay the sales tax, because it is calculated when you give them your home zip code. If you only have a cali zip you pay your home zip code (city or county) rate. I'm trying to figure out where the driving across country part helps with taxes, hopefully I can learn something new here

My understanding for out of state buyers is when paying cash you don't pay any sales tax, you will pay it when you reg with the DMV back home. If you finance though, the dealership has to charge your home taxes on the spot or roll it into the finance.

Anyway wouldn't it be cool if at least we (Californians) could buy across the border and do our trade in NV or AZ, and only pay cali taxes on the difference? I would love that but I don't think that's a use tax loophole.

Last edited:

daemonic3

Reaction score
resident of CA pays cash, registers to an address in OR or another low tax or tax free state- pays 0 to almost nothing. A year later, registers the car in CA- transfers with no tax due since it’s not a sale.

Downside is no financing. People do this all the time with supercars and RV’s with LLC’s.
If you buy in CA and it’s delivered within the borders of the state, tax is collected by dealer so that makes it necessary to buy outside the state. Does that shed light on the savings?

Other ways a CA resident can save- let’s say you live in a high tax city with 10.25% sales tax. Obtain a temporary PO Box or use a friends/relatives address for your Registration address at time
Of purchase from a much lower taxes City. some are as low 7.5%. Just that trick would save you as much as $2500 on a purchase. Totally legal, Thank me later.
Got it! I didn't know about the year later transfer. I was/am still not clear about buying across the country though, since taxes are based on the home zip. You wouldn't do it for taxes, your do it for purchase price. I probably just misread your first post.

I'm super lucky my house is right outside the drawn city border and am unincorporated county at 7.75%. On the other side of the major street they are 8.75%! I am not complaining in that regard :)

Moral of the story is everyone needs to make close friends with someone living in Oregon, and don't post on here with your real name if you go that route.

jebruns

Reaction score
Got it! I didn't know about the year later transfer. I was/am still not clear about buying across the country though, since taxes are based on the home zip. You wouldn't do it for taxes, your do it for purchase price. I probably just misread your first post.
There are ways to set up a cheap LLC in Montana, Oregon and probably other no sales tax states. If you do that, you can register your new vehicle to that LLC and not pay sales tax. Pretty popular in the RV world. But I have read that Kalifornia polices that pretty heavily and it will cost you big if you get caught.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
There are ways to set up a cheap LLC in Montana, Oregon and probably other no sales tax states. If you do that, you can register your new vehicle to that LLC and not pay sales tax. Pretty popular in the RV world. But I have read that Kalifornia polices that pretty heavily and it will cost you big if you get caught.

Montana is an option for people. Many high end luxury car owners and rv owners use this. It’s 100% legal as the resident doesn’t own the car, a corporation does. This is exactly how trucking companies run around areas with plates from other states. There is only 2 issues with this- having the car directly delivered to CA triggering “use tax” and if the car lives in the state 90 days consecutively then it needs to be registered in CA. If the state can’t prove either, you shouldn’t have an issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Colorado as well.

Tell3131

Reaction score
Well the first rule of fight club is never trust the website.
But yes the 10% RAM STANDALONE REBATE is live, on Laramie, Longhorn, Limited, Rebel, and Powerwagon
The Bighorn/tradesman got $3500.

it looks like we may be adjusting our dealer discount slightly after the weekend, will post up when we come to that conclusion after running some more figures.
Any update to your dealer pricing?

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I’m personally a big fan of Mark dodge- specifically Aaron and Anthony now. Even their finance guy via zoom was low pressure and super cool. It’s a small town dealer mentality there, no red tape and BS. Looking to order a new 3500 diesel mega cab. Just because I am me, I wanted to check with a few dealers to get a baseline with current pricing.

Lowest price was Koons (by about $900), 2nd was Mark dodge, and 3rd was Grainger ($1,000 more than Mark’s)

Keep in mind, price is a major factor but not all factors. Koons requires a lot of red tape on a cash deal- must run credit, all kinds of documents like utility bills . Frankly none of this **** it their business on a cash deal. They won’t provide an MSO to self register as the rest of the world does. They won’t sell to the states of CA/MA/HI/MT. Of course, they’re business, they’re rules. But, My money, my choice. But I just wanted to let you all know before shopping to read the fine print since Koon’s policies really rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t research into grangers policies because their pricing was so much higher and they quote 6-9 month deliveries…with all being said…I’d prefer to do business to Mark Dodge all day long.

jebruns

Reaction score
I’m personally a big fan of Mark dodge- specifically Aaron and Anthony now. Even their finance guy via zoom was low pressure and super cool. It’s a small town dealer mentality there, no red tape and BS. Looking to order a new 3500 diesel mega cab. Just because I am me, I wanted to check with a few dealers to get a baseline with current pricing.

Lowest price was Koons (by about $900), 2nd was Mark dodge, and 3rd was Grainger ($1,000 more than Mark’s)

Keep in mind, price is a major factor but not all factors. Koons requires a lot of red tape on a cash deal- must run credit, all kinds of documents like utility bills . Frankly none of this **** it their business on a cash deal. They won’t provide an MSO to self register as the rest of the world does. They won’t sell to the states of CA/MA/HI/MT. Of course, they’re business, they’re rules. But, My money, my choice. But I just wanted to let you all know before shopping to read the fine print since Koon’s policies really rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t research into grangers policies because their pricing was so much higher and they quote 6-9 month deliveries…with all being said…I’d prefer to do business to Mark Dodge all day long.
Good feedback. FWIW, when I ordered my '22 back March of '22, Granger was about $100 higher than Mark Dodge. I went with Granger because they are 4 hours closer drive to my house. It was a no hassle, no extra red tape transaction. I would for sure use them again and recommend them, assuming pricing is as close as it was in '22.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Regarding Granger- they might be slightly different than before…..They will not sell to businesses without providing all the business docs, won’t do Montana LLC’s and have a new company policy requiring you to pay all the taxes to them directly, then you take the paperwork and license in your state. What I don’t like about that is when you hit up your DMV to register they will need you to pay or they will get to get the tax funds from granger which could be easy or a huge headache. Too many moving parts.

daemonic3

Reaction score
Welp, I'll eventually be able to comment on another Tuttle-Click experience, as I put in my order for my unicorn build today. The ~$2k price delta for Mark Dodge would basically wash out through either delivery or a 5 day drive home, flight, etc. But I can manage a 1-way 450 mile drive from SoCal back home easily. Much more convenient. Now to just hope for the build to get picked up and scheduled! I'll be joining the HD RAM family from being a long time F150 & Ford owner.

EDIT: Almost forgot! Since the thread is "price negotiated from MSRP", my net result was locked in at $20,500 below MSRP before taxes.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Welp, I'll eventually be able to comment on another Tuttle-Click experience, as I put in my order for my unicorn build today. The ~$2k price delta for Mark Dodge would basically wash out through either delivery or a 5 day drive home, flight, etc. But I can manage a 1-way 450 mile drive from SoCal back home easily. Much more convenient. Now to just hope for the build to get picked up and scheduled! I'll be joining the HD RAM family from being a long time F150 & Ford owner.

EDIT: Almost forgot! Since the thread is "price negotiated from MSRP", my net result was locked in at $20,500 below MSRP before taxes.

What was your MSRP? I’m assuming over 100k otherwise if you were in the 90s, you got a great deal for a CA dealer

Users who are viewing this thread