Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
And you don’t lose your warranty? I’m sure if you have an emission problem they won’t fix it and you would be out of pocket for repairs.
thats not how warranty works. If a CP4 blew up even after a recall is out they would still have to fix it. Besides emissions warranty is only 50k so they wont cover it for long anyway. And even if your theory was right they would have to prove that you not getting the recall caused the issue which in this case is 100% impossible for that to happen

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
thats not how warranty works. If a CP4 blew up even after a recall is out they would still have to fix it. Besides emissions warranty is only 50k so they wont cover it for long anyway. And even if your theory was right they would have to prove that you not getting the recall caused the issue which in this case is 100% impossible for that to happen

US Federal Emission warranty is 5/50K. California and all the states that adopted CARB emission standards is 7/70K.

Not sure you even get the 5/50K (or equivalent KM) in CA.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
And you don’t lose your warranty? I’m sure if you have an emission problem they won’t fix it and you would be out of pocket for repairs.
Just like H3Lxxx I told them not to do the vb6 if they didn't want one very pissed off customer, they said ok but mentioned if any issues with emissions then you're not covered, I said ok. But guess what, most of the issues with emissions are not covered regardless

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
US Federal Emission warranty is 5/50K. California and all the states that adopted CARB emission standards is 7/70K.

Not sure you even get the 5/50K (or equivalent KM) in CA.
In my warranty coverage book it shows 50k km for the DPF the rest is mixed in with the 100k.

Just thinking out loud here but i guess us Canadians get screwed warranty wise as our 5 year 100k km powertrain warranty vs the US 100k miles puts us 60,000km (37,500 mi) short for the same warranty! Lol

Perhaps you may know brutal but is there places like cali that require open emissions recalls to be complete before you can renew your plates/registration?

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
This article is from The NY Times. I’m not sure what part it may be . But the statement is from the department of justice. I would think if they already are recalling the 14-19 why not the newer ones. I know that would be in best interest of ram. They have trucks on their lots that can’t be sold now if not fixed.
The only recall for this issue at this point is for the 13-18's. So this is not stopping dealers from selling 19+ trucks. And since it's just a SW flash, it should not hold them from selling 13-18's either.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
In my warranty coverage book it shows 50k km for the DPF the rest is mixed in with the 100k.

Just thinking out loud here but i guess us Canadians get screwed warranty wise as our 5 year 100k km powertrain warranty vs the US 100k miles puts us 60,000km (37,500 mi) short for the same warranty! Lol

Perhaps you may know brutal but is there places like cali that require open emissions recalls to be complete before you can renew your plates/registration?

Looks like the Cummins is 5/160K km, putting it on par with the US.

CaliMax

Reaction score

Yes open emissions recalls must be completed in Cali before renewal.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
The sky is falling! Gonna sell my truck! Geez, don’t panic folks. May not even be anything that’s noticed. I couldn’t tell a difference with my eco diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a significant difference in the eco. Maybe it depended on the year of your eco. (Mine was a 15)

Adam06

Reaction score
Well I hope if there is a difference, we will be compasiated in some way. I have over 10,000 in after market add ons and would hate to lose what I have invested in what was going to be my last truck .

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well I hope if there is a difference, we will be compasiated in some way. I have over 10,000 in after market add ons and would hate to lose what I have invested in what was going to be my last truck .
So what changes you are not selling the truck then just keep driving it, im not sure what the issue is. Long term the truck will likely lose all value if ICE engines truly do get outlawed

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

That is certainly the case for CA.

I expect we're stuck with it here in CO as well as CO is part of CARB now since 2020 thanks in no small part to our POS Governor.

What's weird is that not every county requires emissions to get renewals/tags/title. It's just the tri-county metro area.

I've never had a vehicle with an open emission recall, but I believe they will fail you at the emission testing place here if there are any. Diesels are tested by independently licensed shops.

Adam06

Reaction score
So what changes you are not selling the truck then just keep driving it, im not sure what the issue is. Long term the truck will likely lose all value if ICE engines truly do get outlawed
I have owned many diesel trucks in my life. This is my first ram. My last diesel was a 2009 f250 power stroke 6.4. These trucks have the worst wrap, it has been one of the best trucks and one of the first emissions put on a diesel. That being said I own a construction company and used to tow heavy equipment now I find it easier to have hot shots tow it for me from site to site. This truck was bought to tow my camper and love the way it tows but would want it to last me years to come . I only put a few thousand miles a year now,and take exceptional care of all my trucks and cars. So for me if this truck ain’t going to be reliable and tow what it was bought for, I would like to be compisated

jsalbre

Reaction score
A defeat device is any motor vehicle hardware, software, or design that interferes with or disables emissions controls under real-world driving conditions, even if the vehicle passes formal emissions testing.

This is how they define it in the commie clean air act.
Only communists like clean air. We red blooded ‘MURICANS prefer to chew our smog.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I would be curious what the specific “device” is - words matter. The reason the collectivists use such a generic term is so they can put all things they deem “offensive” under the banned for your own good umbrella.

Regardless, they can kiss my ass on the recalls…. As I’ve attempted the grid heater “relay” recall as well as the transmission dipstick one at least 6 times, only to be told “no parts”. So…

As for the D O J s settlement, really, it’s just designed to bankrupt more industry, and to prevent more customers from having personal liberty.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I would be curious what the specific “device” is - words matter. The reason the collectivists use such a generic term is so they can put all things they deem “offensive” under the banned for your own good umbrella.

Regardless, they can kiss my ass on the recalls…. As I’ve attempted the grid heater “relay” recall as well as the transmission dipstick one at least 6 times, only to be told “no parts”. So…

As for the D O J s settlement, really, it’s just designed to bankrupt more industry, and to prevent more customers from having personal liberty.
It’s not designed to bankrupt anyone. It’s designed to punish them for not following the rules that they agreed to follow. If they’d followed the rules (which the fact they have a fix prepared shows they could have done from the get-go) then there would have been no case and no fine.

rfullen280

Reaction score
It’s not designed to bankrupt anyone. It’s designed to punish them for not following the rules that they agreed to follow. If they’d followed the rules (which the fact they have a fix prepared shows they could have done from the get-go) then there would have been no case and no fine.

The purpose is not to punish cheating, it’s to remove options from the consumer market - and push you into a lack of ability to be mobile. EV subsidies aren’t about “green” anymore than windmills are about clean power.

Jay P

Reaction score
That is certainly the case for CA.

I expect we're stuck with it here in CO as well as CO is part of CARB now since 2020 thanks in no small part to our POS Governor.

What's weird is that not every county requires emissions to get renewals/tags/title. It's just the tri-county metro area.

I've never had a vehicle with an open emission recall, but I believe they will fail you at the emission testing place here if there are any. Diesels are tested by independently licensed shops.
El Paso county has diesel emissions testing only (not gas stuff). We moved to Wyoming partly because of Colorados Governor/legislators and the traffic issues they don't seem to want to fix (like I25 between Monument and Castle Rock and C470).
Lots of states are now starting to follow Californias emissions rules.

Users who are viewing this thread