Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Truck Details

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
Looks like Ram has posted some 2024 model info on the chassis cabs. no changes. I can't decide if it's "interesting" that they've started to market 2024 1500's and chassis, but that there's still nothing on the '24 HDs... maybe new numbers on the HO cummins to compete with Ford? probably just ram being slow to update the site or something to do with inventory.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see why they'd split up the powertrain and body upgrades into 2 model years. Putting an 8 or a 10 speed behind the cummins is awesome, but I don't see it overcoming the consensus of buyers that the truck is outdated... which I don't actually think is fair, but it is what it is. Just don't see a cummins/zf or cummins/Allison combo alone bringing folks over from Ford or Chevy.

Feel like the headlines would be read better if they did it in one fell swoop in 2025. "All-new" grabs a lot of attention. Man... you add the modern cab from the 1500 in combination with the "Cummins" and "Allison" brandnames and you'll have guys lined up around the corner.

Has anyone got any idea why it's taken so long to bring the newer cab to the HDs? is it a physical incompatibility with the chassis/powertrain or a supply thing? they did refresh the frame in the 2018/19 4.5 model upgrade, yeah? Just can't understand why they've waited so long.... hurts to think of all the lost sales as Chevy and Ford have released new models over the last 12-18 months and all the while Ram had the awesome 1500 cab in it's portfolio.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see why they'd split up the powertrain and body upgrades into 2 model years. Putting an 8 or a 10 speed behind the cummins is awesome, but I don't see it overcoming the consensus of buyers that the truck is outdated... which I don't actually think is fair, but it is what it is. Just don't see a cummins/zf or cummins/Allison combo alone bringing folks over from Ford or Chevy.

Feel like the headlines would be read better if they did it in one fell swoop in 2025. "All-new" grabs a lot of attention. Man... you add the modern cab from the 1500 in combination with the "Cummins" and "Allison" brandnames and you'll have guys lined up around the corner.

Has anyone got any idea why it's taken so long to bring the newer cab to the HDs? is it a physical incompatibility with the chassis/powertrain or a supply thing? they did refresh the frame in the 2018/19 4.5 model upgrade, yeah? Just can't understand why they've waited so long.... hurts to think of all the lost sales as Chevy and Ford have released new models over the last 12-18 months and all the while Ram had the awesome 1500 cab in it's portfolio.
I don't think the frame was "all new", as they presented it, but rather an update. My guess is some compatibility issues, possibly around the driveshaft placement considering the 1500 has that flat rear flooring.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed.

I’ve been told plan to see a mid-model year powertrain update. 2023 was supposed to be the last year for the Aisin as the contract was either canceled or concluded. Any Aisins being installed for late production 2023’s and early production 2024’s may be coming from across the pond on a short term fulfillment obligation only. From what I hear the states side plant was already retooled.

My money is still on the table.
ZF PowerLine 8AT 8 speed

Im not one to gamble very often but that’s one bet I would willingly make. It makes the most sense from every angle. Performance, power, package, and past history.

Agree but they'll have to up the power handling as the test mule was only good up to 1,000 lb-ft.

Going to need to be upwards of 1,200-1,300 if Cummins/Ram is going to keep competing in the power war.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree but they'll have to up the power handling as the test mule was only good up to 1,000 lb-ft.

Going to need to be upwards of 1,200-1,300 if Cummins/Ram is going to keep competing in the power war.
Yeah I agree, and I’m wondering if that’s the exact reason for the delay. I had heard they were having some “reliability problems with the power”. Might have needed another year to get things nailed down? I was originally expecting the new transmission for 2023. The extra time to get things figured out would coincide with Fords release of their HO specs. Might have bought themselves more time to get back in the lead.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score

I am thinking that they don't know which way to go regarding the MegaCab. The 5th gen cab on the 1500 is still not as big as a MegaCab. Love to see them keep it or even make it bigger. Just came back from towing our TT down to the Florida Keys. My wife's sister and her husband joined us. The two ladies traveled in the back seat and sure appreciated the room in the MegaCab. If you are towing an RV and have company, it just can't be beat!

jbtexas

Reaction score
As a new member, it was interesting to read through this thread. I have a 2024 high output mega cab limited loaded that’s on order that is in production now, 2024, D1 status etc. I’ve been told to expect no changes. All this talk of getting rid of mega or the aisin has me glad I ordered when I did

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

From what I was told, it has to do with the drivetrain fit. The Aisin is a 400 pound behemoth and it eats into the cab space, hence the no flat floor in the back.

DougB

Reaction score
I am thinking that they don't know which way to go regarding the MegaCab. The 5th gen cab on the 1500 is still not as big as a MegaCab. Love to see them keep it or even make it bigger. Just came back from towing our TT down to the Florida Keys. My wife's sister and her husband joined us. The two ladies traveled in the back seat and sure appreciated the room in the MegaCab. If you are towing an RV and have company, it just can't be beat!
5th gen 1500 crew cab has 2.1” more leg room than the mega cab. MC gets you behind the seat storage.

Even with that, I would prefer my mega cab over a 5th gen crew cab any day.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
5th gen 1500 crew cab has 2.1” more leg room than the mega cab. MC gets you behind the seat storage.

Even with that, I would prefer my mega cab over a 5th gen crew cab any day.
But do the rear seats recline in the 1500?

DougB

Reaction score
But do the rear seats recline in the 1500?
Yes, up to 8 degrees per Ramtrucks.com. Not certain but I think the bottoms slide out to help the recline so you’d lose leg room in the process.

MC bottoms move back a bit when reclined so you gain legroom. Not sure the MC recline amount but more than 8 deg I believe.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, up to 8 degrees per Ramtrucks.com. Not certain but I think the bottoms slide out to help the recline so you’d lose leg room in the process.

MC bottoms move back a bit when reclined so you gain legroom. Not sure the MC recline amount but more than 8 deg I believe.
My wife had a 2021 1500 big horn crew cab. The rear seats in her truck do not recline. They only lift up to expose the flat load floor. Maybe it’s different depending on trim?

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
My 2019 1500 limited reclined. It folded up too. I think the recline lever was under the front edge of the seat.

that back row was amazing. also really appreciated the cooled back seats in the 1500. Now my kids are getting old enough to ride without a boosters and I told them they really screwed up. They shoulda gotten themselves born a couple years earlier so they coulda used the nice seats in the 1500 for a bit before I traded it in for the cramped 2500 crew.

DougB

Reaction score
Looks like reclining rear seat is on the Limited only for 2023. It was available on Laramie trim before but only in certain option packages.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
man, my heart breaks for that guy.

One night my wife and I hired a babysitter so we could go out to dinner. We ate way too fast and realized that if we headed home the kids would still be up and we'd end up having to put them to bed. So instead we bought a $50 smart TV from Walmart, drove home, parked a ways from the house, snuck into the house through the patio door and stole a bottle wine, and then we sat in the back of the 1500 all comfy and watched a movie

JYahKnots

Reaction score
Got my VIN and word that my 2024 3500 Limited, High Output, Mega Cab, dually went into production on August 5th, and I have an estimated delivery date of October 22nd, 2023. No changes on the order sheet in terms of transmission. I do find it odd that we STILL haven’t gotten any inkling of information on the 2024 HD; maybe we’ll find out at the Detroit Auto Show? But if that’s the case, why would they hold off for an international auto show to tell us about a truck we’ve seen and known since 2019? They usually wait for auto shows to reintroduce a new refresh or update. So Ram…….WHAT’S THE DEAL?!?

superjoe83

Reaction score
Got my VIN and word that my 2024 3500 Limited, High Output, Mega Cab, dually went into production on August 5th, and I have an estimated delivery date of October 22nd, 2023. No changes on the order sheet in terms of transmission. I do find it odd that we STILL haven’t gotten any inkling of information on the 2024 HD; maybe we’ll find out at the Detroit Auto Show? But if that’s the case, why would they hold off for an international auto show to tell us about a truck we’ve seen and known since 2019? They usually wait for auto shows to reintroduce a new refresh or update. So Ram…….WHAT’S THE DEAL?!?
Some speculation that I have heard is that the '24 model year will be short and they will release the 2025's early, like they did when the 2019 1500's came out. Of course no one but Ram knows for sure

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

The 2024 HD is on the Ram website.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Well, according to their site it looks like the 6 speed remains. (link, mentions both the Aisin and the 6 speed quoted below)
The six-speed automatic is a sophisticated, multirange, electronically controlled transmission with gear ratios optimized for the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel I6 engine.

Pretty quiet roll out and not seeing a single new item for 2024, which leads me to believe the mid-year refresh may be more likely. That's kind of sad but, to be fair, I had absolutely no plans on changing either of my trucks out for a 2024 anyway, so doesn't really matter all that much to me in the end.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, according to their site it looks like the 6 speed remains. (link, mentions both the Aisin and the 6 speed quoted below)

Pretty quiet roll out and not seeing a single new item for 2024, which leads me to believe the mid-year refresh may be more likely. That's kind of sad but, to be fair, I had absolutely no plans on changing either of my trucks out for a 2024 anyway, so doesn't really matter all that much to me in the end.

Starting to see rumors 2024 will be a short run and 25 models introduced early. We shall see...

Users who are viewing this thread