Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crap Firestone Transforce tires

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So how did the Coopers AT3's Hold up over the last couple years??? Let us know.
I want a good ride that lasts 40K or more miles.

I've ran one set, but hands down the best AT I've ever owned.

My typical use is hard on tires as I frequently tow on mountain roads and dirt roads, so they wear out quick.

I got more miles from my AT3's than any other AT, and they preformed better thruout their life too. They did start flaking a little tread off the outside edges at 4/32nds, but the mileage warranty was honored at that point and I got 36% of my purchase price back that I put towards some STT Max tires for hunting. I got around 37K miles on them before they were warrantied out.

Once the stock trashforce tires wear out I'll be putting AT3's on my OEM 20" wheels.

mrandersuun

Reaction score
I've ran one set, but hands down the best AT I've ever owned.

My typical use is hard on tires as I frequently tow on mountain roads and dirt roads, so they wear out quick.

I got more miles from my AT3's than any other AT, and they preformed better thruout their life too. They did start flaking a little tread off the outside edges at 4/32nds, but the mileage warranty was honored at that point and I got 36% of my purchase price back that I put towards some STT Max tires for hunting. I got around 37K miles on them before they were warrantied out.

Once the stock trashforce tires wear out I'll be putting AT3's on my OEM 20" wheels.
Hey, what rims / winch do you have on your Ram?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, what rims / winch do you have on your Ram?

I have the ST Maxx's on the OE 18" Laramie rims that I kept from my 2018, and then trashforce are on the stock 20" Night rims.

Wileykid

Reaction score
So how did the Coopers AT3's Hold up over the last couple years??? Let us know.
I want a good ride that lasts 40K or more miles.
I ran several sets on my last truck (Chevy 2500), and replaced them around the 45K mile mark. I currently have them on my 3500, but only have about 5K miles on them. About half the mileage is towing.

They are really good tires, but they are a *bitch* to balance for some reason. I use the stock 20" rim.

ACEd

Reaction score
As to balance, my Cooper AT3s were not a problem, but Michelin Defender LTX MS same LT275/70R18 size on previous RAM 2500 were a disaster to balance. Never did get them right before truck was totalled. Was told by one tire dealer that the stock wheels were the problem - apparently stock RAM 2500 18 inch wheels (at least 2015 Laramie) were somehow unique in center hole geometry and required a special adapter for Hunter Spin Balancers.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Was told by one tire dealer that the stock wheels were the problem - apparently stock RAM 2500 18 inch wheels (at least 2015 Laramie) were somehow unique in center hole geometry and required a special adapter for Hunter Spin Balancers.
That makes 0 sense clearly they did not know what they were doing, the taper cones would fit unless they were not setting it up properly

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Brutal_HO: I was curious how your Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/65R20 have panned out for you? How many miles did your or Do you think, they will go? Did you like them?
Thanks for the information!

Pretty good so far. About 12K on them now and they're holding up well. I do tow heavy so if I get over 30K I'll be happy. 40K and I'd be ecstatic.

If I had one complaint, they don't grip as well on ice I had hoped/expected. I think my expectations for ice grip on a 40K (50?) mile warranty tire are perhaps optimistic.

My 9K curb weight probably doesn't help that.

They are great in snow and slush and hold their line well.

CharlieL

Reaction score
So, I'm not quite understanding why the Firestone Transforce AT tires that came on my 2022 2500 are crap. At the moment, I'm just shy of 24,700 miles. The tread looks good; tires are at 10/32 on the front and 9/32 on the rear. (I had to buy a new depth gauge & it just arrived!). I've rotate the tires once - at about 9,000 miles. Usage is at about 10k towing a 9,000lb 5th wheel (loaded gross), and the rest is about 60/40 city/highway. I don't go off-road on any sort of regular basis; maybe have about 25 miles of dirt roads thus far. I haven't had any trouble with the tires; can't comment on wet road performance, only run through a couple of rain showers on the highway - doesn't rain too much here in Albuquerque.

I am planning on a new set of tires in the not too distant future & am looking at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Can anyone provide comment on these? Thanks....

Splzhaul

Reaction score
So, I'm not quite understanding why the Firestone Transforce AT tires that came on my 2022 2500 are crap. At the moment, I'm just shy of 24,700 miles. The tread looks good; tires are at 10/32 on the front and 9/32 on the rear. (I had to buy a new depth gauge & it just arrived!). I've rotate the tires once - at about 9,000 miles. Usage is at about 10k towing a 9,000lb 5th wheel (loaded gross), and the rest is about 60/40 city/highway. I don't go off-road on any sort of regular basis; maybe have about 25 miles of dirt roads thus far. I haven't had any trouble with the tires; can't comment on wet road performance, only run through a couple of rain showers on the highway - doesn't rain too much here in Albuquerque.

I am planning on a new set of tires in the not too distant future & am looking at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Can anyone provide comment on these? Thanks....
The Michelin Defender is what I have always put on my pickup from the time I got my first 98 2500 ram till now. I feel you pay more but get more out of them. I usually get around 60k out of them. I rotate them every 10k. In my opinion they are worth the money.

Godzilla

Reaction score

If you look on about page 5 of this thread, I wrote a fair amount about the Defenders. I live in the East Mountains near ABQ And have been getting my tires from Discount since coming here 20-something years ago.

CharlieL

Reaction score
If you look on about page 5 of this thread, I wrote a fair amount about the Defenders. I live in the East Mountains near ABQ And have been getting my tires from Discount since coming here 20-something years ago.
Thank you. I've been buying tires from the Discount at I-25 & Montgomery for the past 25 years!

CharlieL

Reaction score
The Michelin Defender is what I have always put on my pickup from the time I got my first 98 2500 ram till now. I feel you pay more but get more out of them. I usually get around 60k out of them. I rotate them every 10k. In my opinion they are worth the money.
Appreciate the comment. Thanks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

1679977195499.png

Try em in the snow. LOL

Godzilla

Reaction score
View attachment 54151

Try em in the snow. LOL
I read your sig line and it's about like my history. I had a '98 2500 gasser too... a V12 with NV4500 which ran like a scalded ape empty but was a dog with the 5th wheel hooked up... 6mpg and no torque. Then I had a 2005 5.9 QC 2500 G56 that I regret selling as well... that was an amazing truck. I was just hauling too heavy for it - construction equip - and needed a 1-ton.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I read your sig line and it's about like my history. I had a '98 2500 gasser too... a V12 with NV4500 which ran like a scalded ape empty but was a dog with the 5th wheel hooked up... 6mpg and no torque. Then I had a 2005 5.9 QC 2500 G56 that I regret selling as well... that was an amazing truck. I was just hauling too heavy for it - construction equip - and needed a 1-ton.
Im assuming you meant V10? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread