Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 HO Diesel vs Standard Diesel

amauri

Reaction score
We've been towing a 14k 5th wheel with a 2018 SO w/68RFE SRW for a few years.
Picked up our new 2022 HO w/AS69RC SRW two weeks ago and just got back from a 2600 mile trip towing the same trailer.
Though I drive very conservatively... I did feel more power with the HO, the Assin shifted smoothly and a bit firmer than the 68RFE.
Gas mileage was about the same as the SO truck, driving over similar terrain and keeping the towing speed between 60 - 65 MPH.
Hand calculated average was 10 - 11 mpg while towing, and 21 mpg bobtailing on the 1400 mile trip home from the dealer.
The new truck does use more DEF, while towing I was getting 290 - 300 miles per gal of DEF.
Tow Haul mode on the new truck seems to hold a lower gear longer than with the old truck.
After a while I ended up switching off TH mode unless I was going thru the mountains.

Not exactly a proper comparison since the 18-SO had 3:42 gears and the 22-HO has 3:73, but I was happy to see the gas mileage was about the same.

jebruns

Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt that the Aisin is a stronger tranny. But from what I've read, you pay for that if you use the truck for unloaded commuting. It's said to shift harshly at times. Which is a good thing for heavy towing. You don't want the clutches slipping excessively in there.

I think the 68rfe is a very good tranny too. But it doesn't tolerate abuse as much (tuning, etc to get the power up). The vast majority of failures for the 68rfe in the various Ram forums I follow are in tuned trucks.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt that the Aisin is a stronger tranny. But from what I've read, you pay for that if you use the truck for unloaded commuting. It's said to shift harshly at times. Which is a good thing for heavy towing. You don't want the clutches slipping excessively in there.

I think the 68rfe is a very good tranny too. But it doesn't tolerate abuse as much (tuning, etc to get the power up). The vast majority of failures for the 68rfe in the various Ram forums I follow are in tuned trucks.

Ive owned both 68rfe and the Aisin. Aisin does not shift much, if any, different than the 68 while daily driving or unloaded.

groggy

Reaction score
i own an so bighorn 3500 srw 2022. Had a 2016 so longhorn 3500 before that. 2016 performed flawlessly. Pulling a 8000 trailer up a 9% grade moosehunting this summer. The tranny heated up to 227 F. Manually shifted to 2nd. outside temperature was 45 degrees . Top of hill stopped and let idle in neutral. tranny stayed stuck in second gear for next ten miles. Not happy, finally shifted into higher gear. Deer hunting in the mountains in B.C. no load freezing temperatures outside tranny heated up no load on steep hills to 190 205 four wheel drive. Not happy with this SO tranny. never puked any oil out the dip stick. Now have a recall to put rubber plugged short dipstick in and destroy the old dipstick. You have to take to the dealer for fluid level reading. So much for 68rfe tranny.

Nick

Reaction score
The 68RFE will get hot ! Had one in a 14 3500 Mega cab . Aisin stays much cooler under the same conditions l experienced with the 68 .

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
i own an so bighorn 3500 srw 2022. Had a 2016 so longhorn 3500 before that. 2016 performed flawlessly. Pulling a 8000 trailer up a 9% grade moosehunting this summer. The tranny heated up to 227 F. Manually shifted to 2nd. outside temperature was 45 degrees . Top of hill stopped and let idle in neutral. tranny stayed stuck in second gear for next ten miles. Not happy, finally shifted into higher gear. Deer hunting in the mountains in B.C. no load freezing temperatures outside tranny heated up no load on steep hills to 190 205 four wheel drive. Not happy with this SO tranny. never puked any oil out the dip stick. Now have a recall to put rubber plugged short dipstick in and destroy the old dipstick. You have to take to the dealer for fluid level reading. So much for 68rfe tranny.
Or just keep your dipstick when you bring the truck in and say you lost it….

Gkockrow

Reaction score
It's the Aisin why people get the HO, not the engine. SO is more than capable but if they give it a few more ponies from the factory, it's a bonus, I'd still get the Aisin even if it was mated to SO. Your talking about marketing and such makes it sound like you're focusing too much on the engine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I got the HO because of the Aisin and it far superior to the SO/68 I had in my 2017. My opinion and for 3K more worth it. Drives and pulls like a completely different truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Why would you let the dealer destroy the dipstick?

Remove it before you drive it into the bay/park it.

Are you a sheep or a wolf? ;)

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I went with the HO for the Aisin. I would have purchased the SO though if it could be paired with the Aisin in a SRW 3500.

jebruns

Reaction score
It's odd that there is so much difference in these trucks. Here's a shot of my dash while pulling an 8K enclosed trailer over a 9 mile long 7% grade in Colorado around Labor Day last year. This was my 18 2500 CTD. I was not taking it overly easy.

Attachments

• RamTempsMonarchPass.jpg
    RamTempsMonarchPass.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 64

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's odd that there is so much difference in these trucks. Here's a shot of my dash while pulling an 8K enclosed trailer over a 9 mile long 7% grade in Colorado around Labor Day last year. This was my 18 2500 CTD. I was not taking it overly easy.
No machine or anything mass produced is ever created 100% equal. I pull some pretty good inclines with 14k lbs and my temp stays the same as normal but when i plow my trans temp can hit some pretty high numbers

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No machine or anything mass produced is ever created 100% equal. I pull some pretty good inclines with 14k lbs and my temp stays the same as normal but when i plow my trans temp can hit some pretty high numbers

TC lockup vs slip. Of course the temps are going to go up.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
TC lockup vs slip. Of course the temps are going to go up.
Im well aware of why it does it i was more just saying the only time the temps climb on my truck is low speed working not towing

groggy

Reaction score
I solved my dipstick problem, traded 2022 bighorn so 6.7 cc shortbox to 2022 limited 6.7 ho longbox. I love the way the HO drives and shifts, SO was good accelerating , not as smooth as Aisin . Downshifting SO felt like someone rear ended you especially with exhaust brake on and tow haul on. Major clunk going on when coming to a stop also banged upshifting 1st to2nd . Wife complained big time , said last truck didnt do that ( 2016 SO Longhorn 6.7) . Aisin downshifts as smooth as butter with towhaul and exhaust brake on. NO banging or clunking. Exhaust brake also works more aggressive no comparison. Both have 3.73 rear ends. Truck pulls like a freight train empty, have not pulled a trailer yet. Runs cooler 163 F Aisin, 168f 68RFE. Big smile on my face, can not wait to tow.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I solved my dipstick problem, traded 2022 bighorn so 6.7 cc shortbox to 2022 limited 6.7 ho longbox. I love the way the HO drives and shifts, SO was good accelerating , not as smooth as Aisin . Downshifting SO felt like someone rear ended you especially with exhaust brake on and tow haul on. Major clunk going on when coming to a stop also banged upshifting 1st to2nd . Wife complained big time , said last truck didnt do that ( 2016 SO Longhorn 6.7) . Aisin downshifts as smooth as butter with towhaul and exhaust brake on. NO banging or clunking. Exhaust brake also works more aggressive no comparison. Both have 3.73 rear ends. Truck pulls like a freight train empty, have not pulled a trailer yet. Runs cooler 163 F Aisin, 168f 68RFE. Big smile on my face, can not wait to tow.
If you have not pulled a trailer with it yet why the hell would you be in tow haul lol

groggy

Reaction score
I put it in tow haul and exhaust brake on to see how it slows down coming to a stop downhill to compare to my So Bighorn. previous truck slammed me in the rear major clunking. also clunked on takeoff. First noticed it pulling small 8ft. utility trailer last year. This HO is smooth as silk no clunking. previous trucks, 2008 mega cab 6.7, 2013 cc 6,7 ho SLT, 2016 cc 6.7 SO Longhorn, 2022 cc 6.7 SO bighorn. I am familiar with ram trucks.

Big Tom

Reaction score
I was going to trade my 2021 HO once we left the RV world but I sure like the way that thing pulls....

Users who are viewing this thread