Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated steering wheel issue

medic521

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6/7L Cummins, and for about a year now during cool weather the heated steering wheel intermittently fails. I'll turn it on if it's cold (especially if it's been sitting out all night when I'm at the fire station), and it'll come on for about 10 seconds then shut off, if I try to turn the heated steering back on, it shuts right off. I even had it happen in front of the service manager, and when he scheduled me to bring it in they claimed they couldn't find a problem. I'm guessing it's an issue with a sensor, or a bug in one of the 100,000 computers in the damn truck, but can't find any fault codes (I have an OBD2 reader). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and was successful at getting it fixed who might know what the actual issue is so that I can have the dealership address it?

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I read a post about some others having that issue, maybe search the forum. Mine does not do what you describe.

Metternacht

Reaction score
This happened to me this morning, did you ever find a reason?

tchur1

Reaction score
Would love to know if there is a solution here as mine just started doing this as well. Sometime I get in and it works as it should, others it wont turn on, and when it hit the button it turns on for 5 seconds and then shuts back off. Its currently working 50% of the time and not working the other 50%

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you decide to get this diagnosed by a dealership, please reach out to us. We'd love to get you some assistance at the dealership.

Callie
Ram Cares

jetrinka

Reaction score
Checking in. Mine has been doing this all winter. Once in a while it will actually turn on and work great. Haven't been to the dealer yet

Barryg

Reaction score
My 2022 does it as well but seems now to have completely failed. Worked last winter well since I got it last November but then about a month ago it started acting up intermittently and now not at all. Haven’t seen the dealer yet but it will.

Metternacht

Reaction score
So it happened again this morning 1-23-23, Remote started the truck and heated wheel would not engage. shut off the truck and restarted and it came on. I scheduled to take the truck in On Monday Jan 30. @RamCares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey @Metternacht ,

We'd love to get a case started for you. Would you mind sending us a direct message so we can get you some help!

Callie
Ram Cares

GPurcell01

Reaction score
The saga continues. Replaced both my batteries with DieHard Platinums. AGM's. Manufacturing date of 01/23 so about as new as they get.

Cleared the DTC and have not had the code pop up again. First issue fixed as I could clear it and it would return quickly with the old batteries. On the way home after, my steering wheel heater quit working again. If it does it again today, I'll be headed to the dealer in the morning.
Screenshot_20230110_175400_Auto Agent.jpg

Metternacht

Reaction score
Ok, Took Truck in to the dealer, they diagnosed a bad steering wheel - Quote: ' check heated steering after a while goes off then will not come back on. remove air bag and check wiring circuit c91 and c986 within resistance spec below 3.0ohms heated steering to be at fault parts ordered." was told there was a code, but not what it was. Now I wait 1-2 weeks for the wheel to arrive.

tchur1

Reaction score
Just scheduled an appt with the dealer to get this and the tailgate recall taken care of. Soonest appointment is Feb 27th lol.

Ive been watching this closely and correlation might not be causation here but when I cold start it in the AM the steering wheel heater wont come on like it used to but if I run the truck for a bit, shut it down and restart it, then the heater will work. Im wondering then if it is batteries like mentioned above or some other issue where its trying to draw too much power?

Metternacht

Reaction score
Mine would come on with remote start, but once I started turning the wheel it would stop. Last week I made 4 right turns and it was fine, first left and it bombed. This morning it didn't make it past backing out of the drive. So I can only assume it just failed. They did say the clock spring was fine. and the module that failed is in the wheel itself. More and More I want to get my '77 Jimmy up and running. Sometimes simple and Dumb are good traits for a truck. :)

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Mine has done this since last fall. When it was in for Y78 recall last month, I had them look at it. It actually happened to them and they got a code they said. They determined is was a control module for the steering wheel heater and have it placed on order. Was told it is on back order at this time.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I went through this exact same issue with my 2022, they kept telling me the steering wheel was bad and replaced it twice in 6 months but that did not fix it. They ended up replacing the clock spring 68528303AA and has been all good since.

Thorvald

Reaction score
This just happened to my 2020 this morning. Heated wheel does not stay on, and if you press the button, it shuts off within a few seconds.

this is why the truck was running battery voltage was fine. Guess I’ll have to do some more digging on the forum and then go visit the dealer.

3500guy

Reaction score
Check your batteries. Mine works when warm out but not when cold. I'm starting there because I also have a stored P2509 code which can indicate failing batteries.
I had the same thing happening on a '18 2500. Turned the batteries were the issue after a few trips to the service department for diagnosis.

Users who are viewing this thread