Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOMETHING BIG IS COMING...

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
I disagree, I like it. It shouldn't look like the HDs, that would be some stupid imposter issues. Aside from looks (and not accusing you) I don't understand the blind hate towards electric vehicles. Sure, maybe some of the forced policies and potential future regulations *against* ICE vehicles, but on their own EVs are great in many driving use conditions.

Hell, my second car is a Hyundai Accent because it gets around 40 mpg mixed driving. I use it to run around town and commute. It's perfect, but given the choice and if I had the money I'd totally take the Ram EV. If anything it is the better vehicle for my city driving as the Cummins hates many short trips in a row.

Huge fail as far as looks

mountainears

Reaction score
I see the reasoning of making it like the HDs but I can see it both ways.

The Ford plan with their Lightning, having it leverage the same body opens it up to a world of compatibility with existing vehicle accessories which is a powerful thing in many ways.

Making it totally different adds a unique value to it for those that want to stand out. And it allows you to drive the platform towards new opportunities that couldn’t exist if you used the same body.

If there are some really cool things that come out of a unique body style it may change the old trucks to follow that lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I disagree, I like it. It shouldn't look like the HDs, that would be some stupid imposter issues. Aside from looks (and not accusing you) I don't understand the blind hate towards electric vehicles. Sure, maybe some of the forced policies and potential future regulations *against* ICE vehicles, but on their own EVs are great in many driving use conditions.

Hell, my second car is a Hyundai Accent because it gets around 40 mpg mixed driving. I use it to run around town and commute. It's perfect, but given the choice and if I had the money I'd totally take the Ram EV. If anything it is the better vehicle for my city driving as the Cummins hates many short trips in a row.

Hardly "blind" when there are countless reasons to prefer ICE.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Huge fail as far as looks

Sure is. Looks like ass, just like the rest of them.

Can't wait to read about the "performance". I.e.... 50 miles range while towing 1500 lbs. Nah, that's what the f150 "lightning" achieves. Maybe Ram will give us 60!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong here, but I love new technology. I work with it on a daily basis. Some of it is a bit scary as to what it can do.

But I'm tired of having the whole EV shoved down my throat at every corner as they best thing since sliced bread and it's going to save the world. Sorry but it's not there yet.
And for those that remember history, There were a lot more EV's back in the beginning's than there were ICE vehicle's. And we see how that turned out.

You want to make a EV? Great, make it. But make it works and achieve something before you bring it to market. Enough false promises already..

As for looks, well to each their own. It's new tech and the future, so it seems most want to make them look like SiFi future vehicle's.

Remember the old flip transponder in Star Trek? and years later we had them. Flip cell phones.

But the tesla truck looks like it was designed from some bad video game of the '80's. remember the old James Bond video games?

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
Sure is. Looks like ass, just like the rest of them.

Can't wait to read about the "performance". I.e.... 50 miles range while towing 1500 lbs. Nah, that's what the f150 "lightning" achieves. Maybe Ram will give us 60!
There are hundreds of thousands of pickups that will never tow an ounce in their lifetime. This isn't meant to replace a 3500, and they aren't even advertising as such.

MegaStro

Reaction score
I am going to have to continue hanging out here, 5thgenrams site is unmanned, broken, or just sucks! Cannot even get anyone to respond to email for support or confirmation emails. What the heck is going on? Something BIG would be some actual support!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
There are hundreds of thousands of pickups that will never tow an ounce in their lifetime. This isn't meant to replace a 3500, and they aren't even advertising as such.

Intersting. Ive never met a truck owner who has never (0 times) towed with their truck. What about hauling? Id imagine the absolutely atrocious mpg an EV truck would give during a towing situation would not be much different than when used during a heavy haul.

Seems you are talking about people who should probably buy an EV sedan, not a truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Intersting. Ive never met a truck owner who has never (0 times) towed with their truck. What about hauling? Id imagine the absolutely atrocious mpg an EV truck would give during a towing situation would not be much different than when used during a heavy haul.

Seems you are talking about people who should probably buy an EV sedan, not a truck.
My neighbour has a 3500 hemi he is selling it for a 1/2 ton after he realized his 4k odd time towing is not worth the cost of the 3500 lol

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My neighbour has a 3500 hemi he is selling it for a 1/2 ton after he realized his 4k odd time towing is not worth the cost of the 3500 lol

Oh, I definitely agree not everyone needs a one ton, or even a 3/4.

But to buy a truck and literally NEVER tow or haul, to me -- is fake news. Otherwise, why buy a truck?

Just buy a Prius and be happy about saving the planet one gigawatt at a time.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

But to buy a truck and literally NEVER tow or haul, to me -- is fake news. Otherwise, why buy a truck?

There are some people who do it for status or because they think having a diesel is for the cool factor. There is a couple local guys here that dont even have a hitch on their 3/4 ton duramaxes and massive offset wheels with rubber bands on them for tires

gimmie11s

Reaction score
There are some people who do it for status or because they think having a diesel is for the cool factor. There is a couple local guys here that dont even have a hitch on their 3/4 ton duramaxes and massive offset wheels with rubber bands on them for tires

Yeah, but those aren't the guys who will buy an EV truck. Opposite type of crowd we're talking about.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score

Just buy a Prius and be happy about saving the planet one gigawatt at a

In Texas an F-150 is the equivalent to a sedan in many parts. Not sure where you're from, but to say you have never met somebody who doesn't ever tow with their truck? It's likely more common than you think. Especially in the 1500/150 crowd.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to have to continue hanging out here, 5thgenrams site is unmanned, broken, or just sucks! Cannot even get anyone to respond to email for support or confirmation emails. What the heck is going on? Something BIG would be some actual support!

What issue are you having? Email confirmation for regs continues to be an on/off problem.

There are very many active mods on 5thgenrams, including me and devildodge.

Granted, the site owners can be hard to reach but I can usually get ahold of them.

jsalbre

Reaction score

Hauling a load in the bed, assuming it’s lower than the roof line, is far less taxing than towing the same weight as a trailer. Air resistance with a trailer is a huge power sap, especially once you get up to highway speeds. While it is likely that most buyers of electric trucks (just like most private buyers of ICE trucks) will neither tow nor haul, electric trucks will be much better at the hauling than the towing.

Users who are viewing this thread