Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Size is the Fuses Under the Steering Column of the 2019 HD

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
A little more research: Appears the answer is "no" or at least not in a simple way.
Apparently most of the parts/pieces for an aux switch install are available but integrating them into a truck that was not originally equipped requires an elevated level of tech savvy.

JoeN

Reaction score
Yeah, there's probably a couple of simpler routes to try, in my situation, first since I'm thinking about light loads (12v outlet, USB charging) so far.

Diesel_Addict

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but has anyone come up with a good solution for hardwiring their dash cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but has anyone come up with a good solution for hardwiring their dash cam?

If you want constant battery power, run the power wire over to the driver side A-pillar. Pop the side panel off the driver side of the dash, and there is an in-line connector there with a red wire to tap. That battery power wire is on a 10 amp fuse, and is only used when the tailgate release button is pressed in the overhead console, if equipped. Otherwise, that wire is not used.
If you want ignition power, and you have at least an auto dim rear view mirror, tap the pink/yellow wire of the connector that is plugged into the mirror. That circuit is on a 10 amp fuse, and the mirror only draws less than an amp. If you have a base mirror, and that connector is not there (the one that would plug into a premium rear view mirror), run your power wire over to the passenger side A-pillar. Pop the side panel off the passenger side of the dash, and tap the pink/yellow wire at that in-line connector. This is the same circuit as mentioned for the mirror, but isn’t used for anything if you have a base mirror.

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
If you want constant battery power, run the power wire over to the driver side A-pillar. Pop the side panel off the driver side of the dash, and there is an in-line connector there with a red wire to tap. That battery power wire is on a 10 amp fuse, and is only used when the tailgate release button is pressed in the overhead console, if equipped. Otherwise, that wire is not used.
If you want ignition power, and you have at least an auto dim rear view mirror, tap the pink/yellow wire of the connector that is plugged into the mirror. That circuit is on a 10 amp fuse, and the mirror only draws less than an amp. If you have a base mirror, and that connector is not there (the one that would plug into a premium rear view mirror), run your power wire over to the passenger side A-pillar. Pop the side panel off the passenger side of the dash, and tap the pink/yellow wire at that in-line connector. This is the same circuit as mentioned for the mirror, but isn’t used for anything if you have a base mirror.
Do you know what the connector type is?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The one behind the driver side A pillar. I'm trying to get everything made up so I can hardwire my Dash cam before I leave the dealership.
Are you needing to know what type of terminal you need to insert into the connector? What year is the truck, because they changed the type of connector in that location for 2022.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Yes, the terminal type. It's a 2022. I pick it up in 3 weeks.
Let me see if those terminals are available. Does your truck come with the tailgate release button in the overhead console? If so, the battery wire is already going to be present in that pin location on both halves of the connector, so you would have to tap into it. You’ll have to tap into the ground wire no matter what. Unless you plan on building out a full T-harness to put in-line between the connector junction. Let me know so I know what all I need to look up.

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
Let me see if those terminals are available. Does your truck come with the tailgate release button in the overhead console? If so, the battery wire is already going to be present in that pin location on both halves of the connector, so you would have to tap into it. You’ll have to tap into the ground wire no matter what. Unless you plan on building out a full T-harness to put in-line between the connector junction. Let me know so I know what all I need to look up.
I would assume it does. It has every option there is available minus the Trailer TPMS.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I would assume it does. It has every option there is available minus the Trailer TPMS.
Ok, you’ll either have to tap the power and ground at that connector with posi-taps, or build a T-harness.
These are the parts you would need for that (all Yazaki parts):
Female connector- 7287-3260-30
Female sockets (4)- 7116-4270-02
Female sockets (2)- 7116-4780-02
Female sockets (18)- 7116-7277-02
Male connector- 7286-6779-30
Male pins (4)- 7114-4110-02
Male pins (2)- 7114-4100-02
Male pins (18)- 1924968-1 (this part is TE Connectivity)

rauan

Reaction score
Ok, you’ll either have to tap the power and ground at that connector with posi-taps, or build a T-harness.
Do you know where I can buy all these connectors? I checked online and the site where I found them allow only bulk orders.

rauan

Reaction score
Are you needing to know what type of terminal you need to insert into the connector? What year is the truck, because they changed the type of connector in that location for 2022.

I already have end of my wires under steering wheel compartment and was hoping I don’t have to rewire it if I can find where to connect battery and acc wires. Does anyone have a photo or detailed instructions for my case?
My truck is also 2022.

Andersen24

Reaction score
For anyone looking at hardwiring your dash cam, the red wire with the yellow arrow pointing to it is the one that @Jimmy07 is referring to. I hardwired my Nextbase 622GW and rear cam to the 12v constant. This way after five minutes of no motion, the camera will shut off, but if the truck is bumped, it will start recording again. Thank you @Jimmy07 for all your knowledge you put out there on the forum for us!83EDC6FD-31DA-4686-B676-A4B116DB6C57.jpeg

Last edited:

mountainears

Reaction score

[mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] care to build and sell at connector like that to avoid buying bulk parts? I have a 22 as well with the tailgate button, something like that could be handy :)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
[mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] care to build and sell at connector like that to avoid buying bulk parts? I have a 22 as well with the tailgate button, something like that could be handy :)

Use the @ symbol when tagging people on this forum @Jimmy07

mountainears

Reaction score
I did. It doesn’t show the symbol I guess when you use the function at the bottom of the iPhone app. But when you hit that button it has you do a lookup for the user ID and inserts it for you, which is why his ID is underlined in my post.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I did. It doesn’t show the symbol I guess when you use the function at the bottom of the iPhone app. But when you hit that button it has you do a lookup for the user ID and inserts it for you, which is why his ID is underlined in my post.

Odd His is not underlined on the web version i guess it must work on Tapatalk differently

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This way after five minutes of no motion, the camera will shut off, but if the truck is bumped, it will start recording again.

How is that working?

My trailer TPMS shuts down with no motion, but it doesn’t take much wind to shake the truck enough to turn it on. I wouldn’t want the battery going dead in a couple day storm, if it were parked outside.

Users who are viewing this thread