Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Size is the Fuses Under the Steering Column of the 2019 HD

jakebrake

Reaction score
Adding a dash cam. What size are the fuses under the steering column on a 2019 HD. Mini or a micro.
Thanks

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Not aware of any fuses under the steering column. My understanding is that they're all in the PDC, under the hood. I plugged the dash cam into the 12v cigar lighter on the dash. Its corresponding 20A (micro) fuse is F93 in the PDC.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Not aware of any fuses under the steering column. My understanding is that they're all in the PDC, under the hood. I plugged the dash cam into the 12v cigar lighter on the dash. Its corresponding 20A (micro) fuse is F93 in the PDC.
The half tons have a fuse box under the dash. The HD’s are a big bowl of RAM SOUP some things are 5 gen, some are 4th gen

jakebrake

Reaction score
I'll guess I'll get down and look real good before I take the dash apart. I'll let you know.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
The half tons have a fuse box under the dash. The HD’s are a big bowl of RAM SOUP some things are 5 gen, some are 4th gen

Yep, the new 2019 1500s have an internal PDC (Power Dist Center) in addition to the PDC under the hood. You don't have to take the dash apart to get at it. 4th gen half tons had only a TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) under the hood. Current HDs (2500/3500) have only a PDC under the hood. And, mini and micro fuses are the same thing. FCA used to call them mini fuses. Now they call em micro fuses. Ram soup? Lol...

jakebrake

Reaction score
wow, they really make it " NOT " so easy to power up a dash cam from inside the top of the windshield.

jakebrake

Reaction score
No 12V (cigar lighter) on the dash?
yea, they went to all that trouble to put that nice cig. plug there, but for me, I don't want to look through a wire hanging down in the middle of my windshield or across my dash. in my " (post phone call and on-line survey with FCA), I suggested that they place a USB 12 plug beside the rear view mirror just for a dash cam. someone overnight would make a sell a short power supply cord with the voltage reducer and sell it on Amazon for $12.95. but hey, this is 2019 and may take another twenty years for that one to come along.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
yea, they went to all that trouble to put that nice cig. plug there, but for me, I don't want to look through a wire hanging down in the middle of my windshield or across my dash. in my " (post phone call and on-line survey with FCA), I suggested that they place a USB 12 plug beside the rear view mirror just for a dash cam. someone overnight would make a sell a short power supply cord with the voltage reducer and sell it on Amazon for $12.95. but hey, this is 2019 and may take another twenty years for that one to come along.
Yup, I wasn't real enthused about the location either. I considered threading the cord around the perimeter of the windshield but at the end of the day, just let er hang. Been this way for five months and 12K kms. Not so bad - don't even notice it any more. Too old to be waiting for an alternate solution from FCA.

DC.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
There’s power going to the rear view mirror and overhead lights up there. Why not just tap into one of those?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
ok ... then how do you get the wire from under the hood thru the firewall to the console ???
I'd wanna plumb the cord along the headliner, down the left A-Pillar and then thread it out the grommet for the left door wiring and fwd towards the PDC. I dunno... looks good on paper, though.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Why not do like I did for mounting my GPS, ProClips offers a heavy duty mount that attaches to the factory screw holes in the dash tray. The link below takes you to the mount for 2500 trucks. It shows the mount at a low extreme angle but it is extremely adjustable so you can adjust it so that it sits perpendicular to the dash to give you more height. It is all steel and when it’s is mounted there is absolutely no movement. Best of all you are inches away from the plug so you have no dangling wires at all.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Why not do like I did for mounting my GPS, ProClips offers a heavy duty mount that attaches to the factory screw holes in the dash tray. The link below takes you to the mount for 2500 trucks. It shows the mount at a low extreme angle but it is extremely adjustable so you can adjust it so that it sits perpendicular to the dash to give you more height. It is all steel and when it’s is mounted there is absolutely no movement. Best of all you are inches away from the plug so you have no dangling wires at all.

Cool gadget! I'd contemplated something similar but, ironically, I'm not a fan of dash cams mounted on the dash, especially in trucks of this size - the camera's FOV over that long hood is compromised when they're sitting on or close to the dash. Even standing up, I don't think the proclip would offer the same view for the camera and it'd be even more obnoxious than that cord hanging down.

jakebrake

Reaction score
There’s power going to the rear view mirror and overhead lights up there. Why not just tap into one of those?
I'm not confident enough to tear into that. I with a lot of other folks ( I think a lot of folks ) are waiting for a good video and walk through to tackle that. With what's out there on Amazon in the way of the voltage reducer and the length of that, you need to have enough space to roll up what your not going to use a store what's left over.

jsalbre

Reaction score
There’s a good chance I’ll be adding some interior electrical accessories after I get mine. I’m not much for video work, but I’ll take some pictures and write up whatever I do.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Yep, the new 2019 1500s have an internal PDC (Power Dist Center) in addition to the PDC under the hood. You don't have to take the dash apart to get at it. 4th gen half tons had only a TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) under the hood. Current HDs (2500/3500) have only a PDC under the hood. And, mini and micro fuses are the same thing. FCA used to call them mini fuses. Now they call em micro fuses. Ram soup? Lol...
One other thing: The 19 CTD powered HDs will have an auxiliary PDC located in the left rear of the engine compartment (aft of the battery). This PDC contains three relays and three 50A fuses that provide power to the supplemental heating resistors in the HVAC aka a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater.

JoeN

Reaction score
One other thing: The 19 CTD powered HDs will have an auxiliary PDC located in the left rear of the engine compartment (aft of the battery). This PDC contains three relays and three 50A fuses that provide power to the supplemental heating resistors in the HVAC aka a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater.

Is it possible to tap into the power and get a switch power line off that PDC somehow? (I don't have the upfitter switches so most of that PDC is empty on mine.)

JoeN

Reaction score
A little more research: Appears the answer is "no" or at least not in a simple way.

Users who are viewing this thread