Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I can live with the 0% if that means it's all good. I just expected it to at least let me know when it's in regen mode. Guess not.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I can live with the 0% if that means it's all good. I just expected it to at least let me know when it's in regen mode. Guess not.

It will, the DPF gauge goes away and it will tell you "Active Exhaust System Regeneration In Progress"

How many hours on your engine?

Will_T

Reaction score
There are a lot of posts in this thread so it would be hard to read through them all, but I have written a few times about how my gauge makes no sense at all how it works. It usually sits at zero. A few times it has jumped up to 40% or so at least for a brief time. By that I mean when I shut off the engine it was at zero, when I started the next time it was immediately at 40+%. Then after a few start/stop cycles, I turned off the engine with it up in the 35 to 50% range and when I started the next week, it was immediately at zero again. My truck used to regen every 24 hours exactly for the first 4 or 5 24-hour marks. I could see it on my iDash where I have a "Regn On/Off" gauge set. Also, could see the EGT temps increase during the regen. But since the truck was in for some warranty work a few months ago, the 24-hour regen has not happened. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it ever does decide to do another regen. People post that it is easy to miss when it is in regen. But for me, I would not miss it since the iDash with its On/Off regen display is something I look at a lot. Also would see the EGT temps climb and that has not happend either. The gauge has been on zero this whole time since the warranty work, I have not seen it jump up to about 40% like it did before. Most of the use for the last 30 or 40 hours has been in town driving or short towing trips. No open highway for hours and hours towing. So not sure what is happening now, but the 24 hour regens have stopped, at least for maybe two 24-hour marks now.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of posts in this thread so it would be hard to read through them all, but I have written a few times about how my gauge makes no sense at all how it works. It usually sits at zero. A few times it has jumped up to 40% or so at least for a brief time. By that I mean when I shut off the engine it was at zero, when I started the next time it was immediately at 40+%. Then after a few start/stop cycles, I turned off the engine with it up in the 35 to 50% range and when I started the next week, it was immediately at zero again. My truck used to regen every 24 hours exactly for the first 4 or 5 24-hour marks. I could see it on my iDash where I have a "Regn On/Off" gauge set. Also, could see the EGT temps increase during the regen. But since the truck was in for some warranty work a few months ago, the 24-hour regen has not happened. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it ever does decide to do another regen. People post that it is easy to miss when it is in regen. But for me, I would not miss it since the iDash with its On/Off regen display is something I look at a lot. Also would see the EGT temps climb and that has not happend either. The gauge has been on zero this whole time since the warranty work, I have not seen it jump up to about 40% like it did before. Most of the use for the last 30 or 40 hours has been in town driving or short towing trips. No open highway for hours and hours towing. So not sure what is happening now, but the 24 hour regens have stopped, at least for maybe two 24-hour marks now.

Can you set an alarm for EGT’s? If so, set one for EGT 2 or EGT 3 above 900°. Those are the ones that rise during active regen.

On my ‘18 the ECM was updated and reset my 24 hour clock, and I think I ended up at 30-35 hours between regens that time. Did the warranty work involve an ECM flash?

Will_T

Reaction score
Can you set an alarm for EGT’s? If so, set one for EGT 2 or EGT 3 above 900°. Those are the ones that rise during active regen.

On my ‘18 the ECM was updated and reset my 24 hour clock, and I think I ended up at 30-35 hours between regens that time. Did the warranty work involve an ECM flash?

I don't know about the alarms. But since the Regen On/Off and both those EGTs are staring me in the face and I have a habit of looking at the gauge quite a bit, I do not think I would miss a regen.

The warranty work was for shocks. But I did ask them about the computer and the service writer could not say if they did a flash. All he said was they always plug in and if an update is available they do it no questions asked of the owner ahead of time. So at our dealer at least if you don't want them flashing updates, you need to tell them not to when you bring in the truck for any reason. So maybe they did do it, not sure. Your theory might make sense as I think it was coming up on a 24 hour mark when I took it in. I will calculate the approx 24 hour mark from that warranty appointment and see what happens when I get there. I don't think I have pass that yet but I will check tomorrow.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I don't know about the alarms. But since the Regen On/Off and both those EGTs are staring me in the face and I have a habit of looking at the gauge quite a bit, I do not think I would miss a regen.

The warranty work was for shocks. But I did ask them about the computer and the service writer could not say if they did a flash. All he said was they always plug in and if an update is available they do it no questions asked of the owner ahead of time. So at our dealer at least if you don't want them flashing updates, you need to tell them not to when you bring in the truck for any reason. So maybe they did do it, not sure. Your theory might make sense as I think it was coming up on a 24 hour mark when I took it in. I will calculate the approx 24 hour mark from that warranty appointment and see what happens when I get there. I don't think I have pass that yet but I will check tomorrow.
I'll have to keep an eye on this as well to see if I see the same behavior since I just recently had my PCM replaced (I was one of the 2022 's with the recall) and the flash version is newer than what shipped with mine per the tech that did the work.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It will, the DPF gauge goes away and it will tell you "Active Exhaust System Regeneration In Progress"

How many hours on your engine?
Mine never shows anything but the 0% status screen, nothing ever changes....ever. I watched it for 10k+ miles and nothing, so I just recently quit watching it. I have to be around 350 hours by now, I'll have to check. You might convince me that I missed the regen notice once or twice, but a dozen times by now? No. Like I mentioned before, I checked that screen when the truck was in regen mode and nothing changes on the dash. Hence my comments about that particular gauge being worthless.

Riddick

Reaction score
Mine never shows anything but the 0% status screen, nothing ever changes....ever. I watched it for 10k+ miles and nothing, so I just recently quit watching it. I have to be around 350 hours by now, I'll have to check. You might convince me that I missed the regen notice once or twice, but a dozen times by now? No. Like I mentioned before, I checked that screen when the truck was in regen mode and nothing changes on the dash. Hence my comments about that particular gauge being worthless.

On my 2022 2500 my gauge works exactly as AH64ID stated above. Recently on a road trip I happened to catch it at the right time and the screen changed from the normal DPF percentage to "Active Exhaust System Regeneration in Progress". This was the first time in 10k miles I was able to see it and I try to check regularly. Regen lasted for about 15 miles while cruising at 75. I momentarily switched to my mpg screen and noticed the MPG dropped about 4 mpg during the regen process. Before the regen started my DPF gauge was reading about 1/8 full.

Also, as AH64ID stated when I drive my truck for short commutes the gauge slowly fills up. During the summer when we tow and take frequent road trips the gauge never moves off 0.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not hard to miss. My dad has a monitor in his truck that has a green light and a DPF ON status indication, and he has never seen a regen occur. I’ve seen a couple in his truck. They can be as short as 10 minutes if it’s ideal.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
So I assume do to the verbiage of the message - "Active Exhaust System Regeneration in Progress", that this message remains on as long as the regen is taking place. If so, I haven't missed it. If it flashes for 5 seconds or something like that with no audible alarm, then maybe. If it stays on, I have not missed it. I've looked for it while the truck was in regen mode, multiple times.

So here's what I see. Does the regen message appear somewhere in this screen or do I need to go somewhere else to see it? It's never showed up on this screen. The picture below is how it has looked since I bought the truck new. I guess for my $3xx, I did get the ability to trigger a manual regen. I'm half tempted to do it now just to see if the message would pop up. Maybe that's the only time a chassis cab truck shows the regen message.

IMG_2804.JPG

Riddick

Reaction score
So I assume do to the verbiage of the message - "Active Exhaust System Regeneration in Progress", that this message remains on as long as the regen is taking place. If so, I haven't missed it. If it flashes for 5 seconds or something like that with no audible alarm, then maybe. If it stays on, I have not missed it. I've looked for it while the truck was in regen mode, multiple times.

So here's what I see. Does the regen message appear somewhere in this screen or do I need to go somewhere else to see it? It's never showed up on this screen. The picture below is how it has looked since I bought the truck new. I guess for my $3xx, I did get the ability to trigger a manual regen. I'm half tempted to do it now just to see if the message would pop up. Maybe that's the only time a chassis cab truck shows the regen message.

View attachment 49230
Thats the correct screen. It will black out and you will only see text stating the Regen in process message. Your theory could be correct for CC trucks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The C&C trucks show the active regen message just like the pickups do, I confirmed with a buddy who has a '22 5500. He see's the 24 hour regens pop up, thou his gauge also lives on 0%, which it should based on how he uses the truck.

@Blythkd1 don't take this personally (don't know you from Adam), but it's far more likely that you have missed the active regen message than it not appearing. If you had 350 hours and hadn't had an active regen you would have gotten a CEL.

I'd run a manual regen like you mentioned and record the hours. Start watching the DPF page very closely about 22 hours later (the dash doesn't indicate tenths of an hour so it's not always an exact 24 hours total time when a regen starts) and see what happens. You should also be able to hear the regen activate, depending on how you're driving.

amauri

Reaction score
FYI...
I've been using an old phone with the OBD Link adapter and App to monitor DPF Regens.
I posted about it on this thread:

I can see exactly when the Regen starts/ends, I can also track how full the filter is and how often Regens occur.
First started using this on my previous 2018 CTD several years ago.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
If its staying at zero, then your driving it correctly. If you have a 5 mile commute daily, it won't take long to move.

Will_T

Reaction score
If its staying at zero, then your driving it correctly. If you have a 5 mile commute daily, it won't take long to move.
The last 300 miles or so are all around town, top speed probably 40mph, usually much less. Most trips are less than 10 or 15 minutes start to stop. My evic gauge has not moved off zero. The few times it has previously jumped directly up to 40% or more have been when towing the TT on highway. But as I said earlier, after a few on and off cycles, it is back at zero again without a regen.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The dealer can try to re-calibrate with wi-tech, but you'll have to be the fly in the ointment.

With the Auto air level systems, some trucks seem to have a slight lean to one side, mine has it with measurements only but not noticeably leaning. The tech told me that he could try to get it perfect, but didn't recommend messing with it, making it worse. Some dealers just had the standard spiel, "Its with in specs". I thought I had a leak in my system with one bag soft and the other inflated. After several trips to dealer for the same condition, fly in the ointment syndrome, me and the tech checked it connected to Witech, while he operated the system on demand, while I confirmed the movements and bag inflation.

Good luck

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The dealer can try to re-calibrate with wi-tech, but you'll have to be the fly in the ointment.

With the Auto air level systems, some trucks seem to have a slight lean to one side, mine has it with measurements only but not noticeably leaning. The tech told me that he could try to get it perfect, but didn't recommend messing with it, making it worse. Some dealers just had the standard spiel, "Its with in specs". I thought I had a leak in my system with one bag soft and the other inflated. After several trips to dealer for the same condition, fly in the ointment syndrome, me and the tech checked it connected to Witech, while he operated the system on demand, while I confirmed the movements and bag inflation.

Good luck

Wrong thread?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
No, correct thread, I’m using the Auto Air System as an example for dealing with dealer.

HAVASU RAM

Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 bighorn and have never seen my particulate gauge move or a regen screen in the 51k miles I've driven so far and I regularly switch thru my screens can you please tell me where to find the regen indicator?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 bighorn and have never seen my particulate gauge move or a regen screen in the 51k miles I've driven so far and I regularly switch thru my screens can you please tell me where to find the regen indicator?

It's the same screen that shows you the DPF gauge. It will only show a regen while it's active, which under ideal operating conditions is only about 10 minutes of operation every 24 hours of engine run time (0.7% of the time, so easy to miss).

Users who are viewing this thread