Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Issues? Anyone else

flan

Reaction score
Really it’s 2 times a year to pop the hood. Spring and fall. It’s always a good idea to pop the hood now and again to look around for items that need preventive maintenance anyhow before something leaves you stranded on the side of the road.

Texasram1

Reaction score
Is it normal that when I turn my A/C on, the noise from under the hood is tripled? I understand that the fans are engaged thus making things louder, but I dont recall any trucks that I test drove getting this loud w the A/C on.
Thanks

kanabram

Reaction score
I am interested in doing the Muzzi mod on my 2021 6.4 Hemi. At first glance it appears though that the coolant line leaves the water pump to the heater core and then circulates and back down to the oil cooler and from there it ties in to large hose that goes back to radiator. Seems like a valve interrupting circulation would be a problem for the oil cooler. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the 6.4 and I'm still moving forward with the Muzzy mod. I'll keep an eye on oil temps to see if there's much of a difference riding around w/o a load. I can always open the valve before towing or if temps seem unreasonable.

Possum

Reaction score
Just for info. I traced all these lines out on an engine sitting in a crate at the dealership ready to be installed. Cutting flow to the heater core will not hurt anything. If anything it will INCREASE flow to the EGR cooler and the TURBO. Just my opinion. Pluse the evidence of hundreds if not thousands doing this and the fact that majors like Amazon sell the kits. etc.

@DRAGRAM , did you trace out a 6.4 or 6.7?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for info. I traced all these lines out on an engine sitting in a crate at the dealership ready to be installed. Cutting flow to the heater core will not hurt anything. If anything it will INCREASE flow to the EGR cooler and the TURBO. Just my opinion. Pluse the evidence of hundreds if not thousands doing this and the fact that majors like Amazon sell the kits. etc.

@DRAGRAM , did you trace out a 6.4 or 6.7?

I don't think the Hemi has either an EGR cooler or a Turbski. ;)

hookedup2407

Reaction score
I installed the Muzzys bypass valve in August. It made a significant difference. Went to the dealer today because of some engine noise i had after an oil change 6.7 2500.

Service rep immediately asked me about the valve. Almost insinuating that it may be the cause of the noise. Turns out this noise is normal after oil changes in the 6.7 and has since dissipated

He suggested I remove the valve.. His technician said it’s blocking off coolant from getting to the backsides of the cylinders and could lead to engine damage down the road. He mentioned that the warranty could be denied. Seems strange that a heater core bypass would have anything to do with the actual jacket cooling in the block. I’ve been trying to find a coolant flow diagram of the 6.7 so I can see if anything he had to say was accurate. So far operating temps have stayed the same. I know very little about our HVAC systems. Needless to say this threw me for a loop. I’ll have to take his technicians word for it and pull it out.
Anyone care to chime in.. I’d appreciate it
Thanks

2500Ram

Reaction score
I installed the Muzzys bypass valve in August. It made a significant difference. Went to the dealer today because of some engine noise i had after an oil change 6.7 2500.

Service rep immediately asked me about the valve. Almost insinuating that it may be the cause of the noise. Turns out this noise is normal after oil changes in the 6.7 and has since dissipated

He suggested I remove the valve.. His technician said it’s blocking off coolant from getting to the backsides of the cylinders and could lead to engine damage down the road. He mentioned that the warranty could be denied. Seems strange that a heater core bypass would have anything to do with the actual jacket cooling in the block. I’ve been trying to find a coolant flow diagram of the 6.7 so I can see if anything he had to say was accurate. So far operating temps have stayed the same. I know very little about our HVAC systems. Needless to say this threw me for a loop. I’ll have to take his technicians word for it and pull it out.
Anyone care to chime in.. I’d appreciate it
Thanks

The engine blocks water flow is complete whether or not you have a heater core. If you close off the heater core from the engines main water flow you will see more flow within the block. What they said was the exact opposite of reality. All that said - in this world we have to smile and agree with the idiots for fear of them using their "official" capacity. I'd either pull it or go to a different dealer who has a clue.

John Jensen

Reaction score
His technician is wrong. There's no way that valve can deny coolant to the cylinders, let alone the backside. All that valve does is deny coolant to the heater core. Theoretically, the valve could be providing better coolant flow to the cylinders.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
The engine blocks water flow is complete whether or not you have a heater core. If you close off the heater core from the engines main water flow you will see more flow within the block. What they said was the exact opposite of reality. All that said - in this world we have to smile and agree with the idiots for fear of them using their "official" capacity. I'd either pull it or go to a different dealer who has a clue.
My thoughts exactly.. it almost sounded as if there was two separate cooling jackets and the valve cut off the flow to one of them.. Service rep seemed very confident in what his Diesel tech told him. I said the same thing.. ‘how does blocking the heater core affect the engine cooling?’ He went into describing how the back sides of the cylinders run the hottest and I’ve cut that coolant flow off. Baffled i agreed smiled and left

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea as said the tech is very wrong his theory is wrong you wont see a difference in temps as its only the heater core not getting circulation everything else circulates freely…

hookedup2407

Reaction score
His technician is wrong. There's no way that valve can deny coolant to the cylinders, let alone the backside. All that valve does is deny coolant to the heater core. Theoretically, the valve could be providing better coolant flow to the cylinders.
My thoughts exactly.. i honestly began questioning everything i know (as limited as that may be).. i honestly felt dumb as a box of rocks

hookedup2407

Reaction score
If this tells me anything.. some dealers will look to pin the blame on anything they can. Probably best to remove before any service is done

Yea as said the tech is very wrong his theory is wrong you wont see a difference in temps as its only the heater core not getting circulation everything else circulates freely…

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Only some dealers
I was taken off guard when he began his angle of questioning about the valve. I just had my first ‘free’ oil change done the day before (they overfilled my engine by 2qrts)12275DBE-1509-4B8D-A3DF-E997475F3CA8.jpeg
After i drained the excess.. There was a ticking sound on deceleration (i took audio/video but i don’t know how to upload it yet)

I took it to the dealer first thing this morning to document the case and make sure they used the correct weight oil.. Didn’t expect them to fix anything. Just wanted it documented. Needless to say I’m gunna have to find a better service dept to deal with..

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was taken off guard when he began his angle of questioning about the valve. I just had my first ‘free’ oil change done the day before (they overfilled my engine by 2qrts)View attachment 45558
After i drained the excess.. There was a ticking sound on deceleration (i took audio/video but i don’t know how to upload it yet)

I took it to the dealer first thing this morning to document the case and make sure they used the correct weight oil.. Didn’t expect them to fix anything. Just wanted it documented. Needless to say I’m gunna have to find a better service dept to deal with..
How long was the truck sitting after running before you checked the oil?

hookedup2407

Reaction score
How long was the truck sitting after running before you checked the oil?
About an hour or so.. plenty of time for the oil to drain back into the pan.. Pic of oil level now 83C71F77-33D9-45AB-8F04-E7D274E74B52.jpeg
The entire plastic was wet with oil and part of the metal after numerous time wiped clean and rechecked.. I’ve worked with marine diesels for the past 10yrs my favorite engine is the Cummins 8.3 6CTA. Ran a set of those for 15k hours..they were bulletproof

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
About an hour or so.. plenty of time for the oil to drain back into the pan.. Pic of oil level now View attachment 45559
The entire plastic was wet with oil and part of the metal after numerous time wiped clean and rechecked.. I’ve worked with marine diesels for the past 10yrs my favorite engine is the Cummins 8.3 6CTA. Ran a set of those for 15k hours..they were bulletproof
Wow thats insane how can they be so stupid

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Wow thats insane how can they be so stupid
On top of it all they filled my 37s to 65PSI

it’s a 50psi max tire.. says so on the sidewall. I run them at 45F/35R and yeah i know that sounds low I’ve chalk tested them..

Users who are viewing this thread