Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I think you are looking at it wrong. If you read back a few posts someone was claiming the Fuelly average for diesels was around 15.5. This is clearly wrong as several of us have hand calculated mileage to be 20 plus.

Not sure why you started posting fuel prices to defend the hemi. Maybe you should stick to crayons and coloring books Marine..... (military
joke... If you have served, you get it ).
15.5 average is exactly what it is - average. Meaning some will get 20s and some will get 10s.
Someone claiming a guy can't get 20 and bringing up fuelly average, has no idea how it works.

WXman

Reaction score
I think you are looking at it wrong. If you read back a few posts someone was claiming the Fuelly average for diesels was around 15.5. This is clearly wrong as several of us have hand calculated mileage to be 20 plus.

Not sure why you started posting fuel prices to defend the hemi. Maybe you should stick to crayons and coloring books Marine..... (military
joke... If you have served, you get it ).

Yeah, 42 million combined miles of data, where people enter odometer and gallons filled so that it's all hand calculated, are clearly wrong. The three guys on the forums who claim 21 MPG are on it.

And at current prices, if we assume 1,500 miles driven per month, the diesel will cost $60/month more to keep filled with fuel. That's $3,600 over a 5 year loan.

That doesn't even account for the $80 in fuel filters annually, DEF, or other maintenance add-ons.

The guy talking about throwing a rod climbing a hill with the Hemi....you do realize the gas trucks are rated using the SAE J2807 method now, correct? You're not going to destroy your truck by towing with it as long as you're within weight spec. If you need to tow 30k then sure, buy a diesel. How many guys really tow that kind of weight? 1%? 0.5%?

I love my diesels but today's political climate has killed any reason to buy one for most people.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The guy talking about throwing a rod climbing a hill with the Hemi....you do realize the gas trucks are rated using the SAE J2807 method now, correct? You're not going to destroy your truck by towing with it as long as you're within weight spec. If you need to tow 30k then sure, buy a diesel. How many guys really tow that kind of weight? 1%? 0.5%?

J2807 hahahahahaha.

Obviously, you've never towed heavy at altitude with a gas truck.

But keep telling everyone its an enjoyable experience!

Riddick

Reaction score
J2807 hahahahahaha.

Obviously, you've never towed heavy at altitude with a gas truck.

But keep telling everyone its an enjoyable experience!

The Hemi screaming at 5500 RPM sounds great however, id rather not have to listen to it the entire hill climb. I remember towing through the hills in my Ecoboost, truck did fine but made me nervous as hell seeing the engine holding redline damn near the entire way up.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The Hemi screaming at 5500 RPM sounds great however, id rather not have to listen to it the entire hill climb. I remember towing through the hills in my Ecoboost, truck did fine but made me nervous as hell seeing the engine holding redline damn near the entire way up.

Eeeeeexactly.

MegaStro

Reaction score
Yeah, 42 million combined miles of data, where people enter odometer and gallons filled so that it's all hand calculated, are clearly wrong. The three guys on the forums who claim 21 MPG are on it.

And at current prices, if we assume 1,500 miles driven per month, the diesel will cost $60/month more to keep filled with fuel. That's $3,600 over a 5 year loan.

That doesn't even account for the $80 in fuel filters annually, DEF, or other maintenance add-ons.

I love my diesels but today's political climate has killed any reason to buy one for most people.
SMH, he is calling me a liar... So be it, I always heard of the Blue Falcon, thought they were going extinct and then boom! WX shows up! I cant figure out how to track and add my fuel filters, DEF, registration, tires, wipers, washer fluid, toll fees, bathroom breaks, coffee, Mountain Dew, Monster, or snacks to my MPG!

arx237

Reaction score
SMH, he is calling me a liar... So be it, I always heard of the Blue Falcon, thought they were going extinct and then boom! WX shows up! I cant figure out how to track and add my fuel filters, DEF, registration, tires, wipers, washer fluid, toll fees, bathroom breaks, coffee, Mountain Dew, Monster, or snacks to my MPG!
Liar is pretty strong, maybe he is just thinking LT updated your spreadsheet instead of the one he was supposed to be working on. Lol

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I tow often over the mountains of Colorado. I have no problem with my 6.4 pulling the hills at a reasonable rpm range.
I'm in the Montana section of the Rockies. Me either. And I got rid of a diesel for this truck with no regrets. Tradeoffs sure. I'm not pulling the grades at 80 anymore. But I have no problem keeping 65 at a reasonable rpm. I'm also getting old enough to see how hard on trailers it is to rip them around that fast.

I don't know what you replied too. Cause I have that member on ignore. Been a lot more enjoyable experience. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'm in the Montana section of the Rockies. Me either. And I got rid of a diesel for this truck with no regrets. Tradeoffs sure. I'm not pulling the grades at 80 anymore. But I have no problem keeping 65 at a reasonable rpm. I'm also getting old enough to see how hard on trailers it is to rip them around that fast.

I don't know what you replied too. Cause I have that member on ignore. Been a lot more enjoyable experience. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Ok, boomer!

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Would much prefer to get there going slower up grades than to have to roll an HD diesel around before and afterward, myself. You get to a certain weight pulled and gotta have one certainly, but no circumstance except extremely high dollar business requirement would be worth it IMO.
I rode shotgun in a 2500 diesel during what seemed like the longest deer hunt of my life, even though it wasn't....never again, off road torment.

jebruns

Reaction score
Would much prefer to get there going slower up grades than to have to roll an HD diesel around before and afterward, myself. You get to a certain weight pulled and gotta have one certainly, but no circumstance except extremely high dollar business requirement would be worth it IMO.
I rode shotgun in a 2500 diesel during what seemed like the longest deer hunt of my life, even though it wasn't....never again, off road torment.
Please explain. Why is rolling around in an HD diesel truck different from a gas HD truck, given the same brand and suspension setup?

Personally, I don't care what you choose to drive and haul with. What is "best" is what is best for you. I could not care less if someone else disagrees. It's all good.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Please explain. Why is rolling around in an HD diesel truck different from a gas HD truck, given the same brand and suspension setup?

Personally, I don't care what you choose to drive and haul with. What is "best" is what is best for you. I could not care less if someone else disagrees. It's all good.

Well, have travelled extensively off-road and never experienced a front end that bucked, undulated and rebounded to such an extent while the rear felt like it had no suspension at all. The slowest, most brutal and with the way the rear would try to step out/front end wallowed while cornering...dangerous trips through the mountains for me ever and hours of experience that was not enjoyable daily.
The rear is what it is obviously, has to be stiff for payload. But, the way that heavy front end would throw things and folks around the cab was too much, in no way tolerable unless absolutely necessary for whatever weighty reason. JMO

It depends on priority of course, some favor hauling super heavy at max speed and some not. We spend more time off road than on when out of town and prioritize dirt capability, would have little use for anything ultimate heavy and especially that rig that comes with it. MPG is a non-factor afaic because God made gas cans.
That diesel did pull my trailer effortlessly and was nice on the highway, a nearly new 2004? 2500. There is no doubt that those trucks are incredible in the way they can pull/haul.
All just my own probably aberrant opinion and point of view.

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
Well, have travelled extensively off-road and never experienced a front end that bucked, undulated and rebounded to such an extent while the rear felt like it had no suspension at all. The slowest, most brutal and with the way the rear would try to step out/front end wallowed while cornering...dangerous trips through the mountains for me ever and hours of experience that was not enjoyable daily.
The rear is what it is obviously, has to be stiff for payload. But, the way that heavy front end would throw things and folks around the cab was too much, in no way tolerable unless absolutely necessary for whatever weighty reason. JMO

It depends on priority of course, some favor hauling super heavy at max speed and some not. We spend more time off road than on when out of town and prioritize dirt capability, would have little use for anything ultimate heavy and especially that rig that comes with it. MPG is a non-factor afaic because God made gas cans.
That diesel did pull my trailer effortlessly and was nice on the highway, a nearly new 2004? 2500. There is no doubt that those trucks are incredible in the way they can pull/haul.
Okay, but comparing what to what here? Equipment levels have a lot to do with the ride. Jacked up, stiff tires, different brands, etc, etc. And the truck you are talking about is a 2004 Ram? If so, suspension has come a long ways since then.

I've owned a few 2500's over the year, both gas and diesel, GM, Ford and Ram. I used to spend 3 months of the year hunting heavily in the backroads and mountains. Did that for 25+ years. And I still spend a lot of time on Ozark backroads for dirt biking trips. I never noticed any difference from gas to diesel offroad performance personally. But my trucks were very well maintained and stock drivetrains.

Don't want to seem like I'm calling you out or anything. But statements like yours saying diesel trucks are terrible offroad are just not true, at least in my experience. So I feel like this needs to be drilled into a bit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

LOL.

My 2020 3500 is night and day (better) difference compared to the 2004.5 CTD 2500 I had. Both had rear air.

Air the tires down and it's no more or less tolerable than a Hemi 3500. The front end does handle different and tend to push more, but that's overcome with proper tires and pressure.

jetrinka

Reaction score

I understand what you're saying - my 01 Cummins would nearly throw you through the roof offroad unless you remembered to air it down a bit. But also you (and I) are now coming from the perspective of a Power Wagon which, while still stiff (due to the heavy nature), is absolutely ridiculous when the pavement ends. Air that thing down to 20PSI, disconnect the front swaybar and you'd hardly know it was a 7600 pound vehicle.

Apples to oranges I am afraid.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Apples to oranges I am afraid.
I choose apples, hemi powered for now.
Really, coming from the last truck, the PW ride isn't as nice as I had hoped when I bought it...the payload is much better though.

LOL.

My 2020 3500 is night and day (better) difference compared to the 2004.5 CTD 2500 I had. Both had rear air.

Air the tires down and it's no more or less tolerable than a Hemi 3500. The front end does handle different and tend to push more, but that's overcome with proper tires and pressure.

You obviously need the capability of a serious puller, maybe I will someday but not now. My priority is to get my small trailer into places that will keep a lot of pickups alone out and roam deeper from there in relative comfort and with confidence.
Okay, but comparing what to what here? Equipment levels have a lot to do with the ride. Jacked up, stiff tires, different brands, etc, etc. And the truck you are talking about is a 2004 Ram? If so, suspension has come a long ways since then.

I've owned a few 2500's over the year, both gas and diesel, GM, Ford and Ram. I used to spend 3 months of the year hunting heavily in the backroads and mountains. Did that for 25+ years. And I still spend a lot of time on Ozark backroads for dirt biking trips. I never noticed any difference from gas to diesel offroad performance personally. But my trucks were very well maintained and stock drivetrains.

Don't want to seem like I'm calling you out or anything. But statements like yours saying diesel trucks are terrible offroad are just not true, at least in my experience. So I feel like this needs to be drilled into a bit.

My admittedly limited experience is the opposite of yours and is as above. I did spend some time not long ago in a lifted and decked out, souped up Ram diesel on another trip and maybe worse than the stock one detailed. Luckily, I knew better than to get myself wrangled into any significant time in that truck because jeeeezus.

I think that any HD truck ride is pretty bad compared to a nice 1/2 ton let alone a really nice 1/2 ton certainly and have been in a lot of all brands over the years. The two worst riding trucks in the field ever imo were those diesels in N. Nevada. All that extra weight in the front will negatively effect ride quality, can't deny physics.

jebruns

Reaction score
My admittedly limited experience is the opposite of yours and is as above. I did spend some time not long ago in a lifted and decked out, souped up Ram diesel on another trip and maybe worse than the stock one detailed. Luckily, I knew better than to get myself wrangled into any significant time in that truck because jeeeezus.

I think that any HD truck ride is pretty bad compared to a nice 1/2 ton let alone a really nice 1/2 ton certainly and have been in a lot of all brands over the years. The two worst riding trucks in the field ever imo were those diesels in N. Nevada. All that extra weight in the front will negatively effect ride quality, can't deny physics.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, given the lack of details on your part. But comparing 2500's to 1500's is not really apples to apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread