Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL1

Reaction score
I love my cummins. I really could have gotten away with something else but I have to say now, it would be tough to go back to gas in a HD truck. The way these new diesel pull is incredible. I will say the talk of the new gas inline 6cyl. with the twin turbos has peaked my attention. I have no idea when they will be released in a HD though. It's great to have so many choices!

MegaStro

Reaction score
Just going to and from work (34 miles one way) I am able to get 19-21.5 mpg hand calculated with my 2500 4x4 Megacab. Hands down better MPG than any 6.4 I have seen. Yes gas / fuel cost is different. Yes maintenance can be a bit more expensive. No way the hemi can hang heavy load at the 14-17mpg I get towing and no second guessing if I have enough power..

tchur1

Reaction score
Call my crazy but I just like having a diesel. I tow 10k pounds pretty frequently so could probably get away with a hemi but I just wanted a diesel so that's what I bought.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I agree. I am so tired of the rough idle, poor fuel mileage and lack of power I could scream. I am about ready to trade it in and go back to a diesel. It's just hard to justify the extra cost for the diesel for what I use a truck for. I don't carry any heavy loads and only tow 4000 to 7000 pounds occasionally. Thats why I went with a gas engine this time. Back in 2016 I traded in my 2004 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel with the 6 speed standard. It only had 205,000 miles on it. I still kick myself for getting rid of it.

You are a good candidate for the Ford F250 with the 7.3 gas.

WXman

Reaction score
While is is a $9k plus upgrade, the longevity is no comparison. The 6.4 has MDS which is known to work the 4 “on all the time” cylinders harder than the ones that free ride. This causes more ware on the upper end, cams roller bearings ect. Very expensive repair at 130k miles. Big picture…. The Cummins will outlive the body and frame. Pay more now, save a lot down the road. It is way more efficient as well. I roll with my 3500 HO at about 13 mpg in town and 20-22 highway, empty. Loaded knock it down to 8 mpg and 14ish.

Go hang out at some Ram dealership service areas and watch the HD trucks that come in. You'll see almost no Hemis, and lots of Cummins. I guarantee it. The myth that today's diesel trucks will outlast the gas trucks is just that, a myth. Heck, last time I was at my local dealer they had a Cummins crate engine on a pallet ready to go.

Just going to and from work (34 miles one way) I am able to get 19-21.5 mpg hand calculated with my 2500 4x4 Megacab. Hands down better MPG than any 6.4 I have seen. Yes gas / fuel cost is different. Yes maintenance can be a bit more expensive. No way the hemi can hang heavy load at the 14-17mpg I get towing and no second guessing if I have enough power..

So there are 42 million combined miles of owner data in Fuelly and they're at 15.5 MPG average with the 6.7 Cummins in trucks over the 2011-2021 model years, and you're saying that you get 19-21.5? C'mon man... It's hard to have productive conversation on forums because guys throw around fairytale numbers like that. Everybody knows that when you hook a heavy load to a modern Tier IV diesel, you're down into the 8-11 MPG range, and running unloaded you're going to see mid-teens at best. These new high torque diesels are only 2 MPG better than a gas truck in the real world, but you're buying fuel that's currently $1.10/gallon more expensive per national averages.

I'm a diesel guy, I love diesels. But we've got to be realistic here. There is ZERO case where a diesel engine is going to save a guy money in a pickup truck. It's not happening. Short term, long term, daily driven, towing, it's not happening. I can see a guy who runs a hot shot business wanting a diesel so he can legally open up the possibility of more loads, but otherwise the only reason to buy diesel is if you just want it. There's no way it's advantageous on paper.

Last edited:

MegaStro

Reaction score
Go hang out at some Ram dealership service areas and watch the HD trucks that come in. You'll see almost no Hemis, and lots of Cummins. I guarantee it. The myth that today's diesel trucks will outlast the gas trucks is just that, a myth.

So there are 42 million combined miles of owner data in Fuelly and they're at 15.5 MPG average with the 6.7 Cummins in trucks over the 2011-2021 model years, and you're saying that you get 19-21.5? C'mon man... It's hard to have productive conversation on forums because guys throw around fairytale numbers like that. Everybody knows that when you hook a heavy load to a modern Tier IV diesel, you're down into the 8-11 MPG range, and running unloaded you're going to see mid-teens at best. These new high torque diesels are only 2 MPG better than a gas truck in the real world, but you're buying fuel that's currently $1.10/gallon more expensive per national averages.

I'm a diesel guy, I love diesels. But we've got to be realistic here. There is ZERO case where a diesel engine is going to save a guy money in a pickup truck. It's not happening. Short term, long term, daily driven, towing, it's not happening. I can see a guy who runs a hot shot business wanting a diesel so he can legally open up the possibility of more loads, but otherwise the only reason to buy diesel is if you just want it. There's no way it's advantageous on paper.
Cant tell if you are calling me a liar or not but I can run a calculator and just because you have a big truck is no reason to drive like an asshat. The display indicates as high as 23.5 in some rare cases but we all know that is a pipe dream, hand calculated is the only way to get it right. I drive conservative and most of the time I am empty (unloaded) without heavy traffic to deal with. I would be glad to share receipt and mileage info, my first long heavy pull will be in July and I would provide that as well. 11,000 lbs for 670 miles heading north should give some realistic loaded numbers. I find myself more concerned with DEF mileage than fuel most trips. Realistic data would be those of us really driving these trucks, as I may have stated before I do coast down the mountain in the morning :), but have to drive up the same mountain in the evening. Maybe I should fill up down below instead of at the top? HA!

sanda

Reaction score
Go hang out at some Ram dealership service areas and watch the HD trucks that come in. You'll see almost no Hemis, and lots of Cummins. I guarantee it. The myth that today's diesel trucks will outlast the gas trucks is just that, a myth.

I tow a lot with 8800# TT and another 1500# in the back of the truck. On my second 6.4 truck. When I put a pencil to the figures a diesel would be a big money loss for what I do. And I agree with your mileage statements. So many quotes about mileage when many of us know those can't be fact. Many use the evic to state their mileage but everytime I hand calculate actual mileage it is 10-20% lower.
My last hand calculation highway empty - evic 18.5, actual 16.96. But of course if you want a diesel buy one.

MegaStro

Reaction score
I tow a lot with 8800# TT and another 1500# in the back of the truck. On my second 6.4 truck. When I put a pencil to the figures a diesel would be a big money loss for what I do. And I agree with your mileage statements. So many quotes about mileage when many of us know those can't be fact. Many use the evic to state their mileage but everytime I hand calculate actual mileage it is 10-20% lower.
My last hand calculation highway empty - evic 18.5, actual 16.96. But of course if you want a diesel buy one.
Well said!

RichsRam

Reaction score
Like the other guys have said, it really depends on your intended usage. I our world its Cummins with the Aisin transmission all day. Owned Fords for decades and we like them but NOTHING out there now pulls like this combo. I wish it were better on fuel, but it is what it is. Also, new Longhorn Limited interior makes for a show truck right off the assembly line, IMHO.

truktjs

Reaction score
Looking into a 2022.
would you rather go Hemi or Cummins?
I prefer Cummins, I have had both. I carry a big Choc Labrador with me and tend to let the truck Idle a lot. The Hemi Died at 94,000 Miles from too much idling, where as it does mot brother the Cummins. The Cummins also has much better towing ability to tow my 12000# boat. But for fuel mileage I think the econo diesel is better since I have also had that engine

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Subjective anecdote much?? lmao

It's hard to have productive conversation on forums because guys throw around fairytale numbers like that.

See above, you should take your own advice.

Riddick

Reaction score

I'm not here to knock one platform down and praise the other, buy the truck you like and suits your needs.

However, your above fuel mileage estimates are wrong....... especially unloaded. I took a small trip with the truck loaded down with dirt bikes and gear yesterday, was 136 miles each way. I "hand calculated" my fuel mileage when we got back yesterday and I was at 19.8. This was with the cab and bed fully loaded, not sure if 1200 pounds or so makes a difference. This was all highway and I had the cruise set at 73, when passing we might have seen 76 and in slow parts upper 60s. I have no doubt fully unloaded these trucks will pull 20 plus on the highway cruising at 70.

Your above fuelly mileage estimate are more than likely factoring in unloaded and towing. Around town I get crappy mileage but the Cummins hold its own cruising at 1700 RPMS on the highway.

tchur1

Reaction score
I'm not here to knock one platform down and praise the other, buy the truck you like and suits your needs.

However, your above fuel mileage estimates are wrong....... especially unloaded. I took a small trip with the truck loaded down with dirt bikes and gear yesterday, was 136 miles each way. I "hand calculated" my fuel mileage when we got back yesterday and I was at 19.8. This was with the cab and bed fully loaded, not sure if 1200 pounds or so makes a difference. This was all highway and I had the cruise set at 73, when passing we might have seen 76 and in slow parts upper 60s. I have no doubt fully unloaded these trucks will pull 20 plus on the highway cruising at 70.

Your above fuelly mileage estimate are more than likely factoring in unloaded and towing. Around town I get crappy mileage but the Cummins hold its own cruising at 1700 RPMS on the highway.
This has been my experience with my new truck as well. I just got back from a 2200 mile round trip all highway road trip and averaged 18.2 hand calced but I was going 80+ most of the time. One section I was only going 70 and was able to get 20.1.

MegaStro

Reaction score
Go hang out at some Ram dealership service areas and watch the HD trucks that come in. You'll see almost no Hemis, and lots of Cummins. I guarantee it. The myth that today's diesel trucks will outlast the gas trucks is just that, a myth. Heck, last time I was at my local dealer they had a Cummins crate engine on a pallet ready to go.

So I had a few days to track my daily commute (unloaded) and driving like a sane person. Calculations were better than expected and the HAND CALCULATIONS indicated almost 10% error from the EVIC (expected). My original message was "
MegaStro said: Just going to and from work (34 miles one way) I am able to get 19-21.5 mpg hand calculated with my 2500 4x4 Megacab. Hands down better MPG than any 6.4 I have seen. Yes gas / fuel cost is different. Yes maintenance can be a bit more expensive. No way the hemi can hang heavy load at the 14-17mpg I get towing and no second guessing if I have enough power.."

20.5 average falls in my window of 19-21.5 pretty well.

So here is my real world "FAIRYTALE" numbers (with pictures for those who like picture proof):
1651146212284.png

MIC DROP!

Attachments

• 20220428_060018.jpg
    20220428_060018.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220428_060413.jpg
    20220428_060413.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220428_062055.jpg
    20220428_062055.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 20

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The diesel is better at pulling ridiculously heavy...that is all, off road is what really matters AFAIC.
Milage-schmilage, a Prius get's better than both.

hunterjoe

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a Hemi. I just don't have a need for the Cummins. Would I rather have the Cummins? Sure. But I won't use it how it needs to be used. This will be a daily driver, towing my light-ish boat and TT very infrequently right now. I'm aware that the Cummins will get better mileage. That's undeniable. But the Hemi fits my needs better. We all just need to get along!!!!

Jsboening

Reaction score
Went hemi too. Didn’t need the Cummins for anything I haul and the hemi ZF 8 speed combo is awesome for daily driving.

MegaStro

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a Hemi. I just don't have a need for the Cummins. Would I rather have the Cummins? Sure. But I won't use it how it needs to be used. This will be a daily driver, towing my light-ish boat and TT very infrequently right now. I'm aware that the Cummins will get better mileage. That's undeniable. But the Hemi fits my needs better. We all just need to get along!!!!
You do you! The Hemi is a lot of fun, I just could not handle the 7 mpg on the way to my land with the tractor. It held the speed but I swear it never shifter above 4th gear and it was stuck in high RPM's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread