Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crap Firestone Transforce tires

ACEd

Reaction score
May-21 picked up June-21 AT's
That fits - tire / wheel assemblies used to be a just-in-time item. Still are but maybe not as close.
It will be interesting to see what they propose - I have only seen the AT only as OE recently - the more common retail tire is the AT2. Will they make you wait to get AT or give you the AT2 or a Bridgestone equivalent (most desirable option in my mind)
Keep us informed please.

werard

Reaction score
That fits - tire / wheel assemblies used to be a just-in-time item. Still are but maybe not as close.
It will be interesting to see what they propose - I have only seen the AT only as OE recently - the more common retail tire is the AT2. Will they make you wait to get AT or give you the AT2 or a Bridgestone equivalent (most desirable option in my mind)
Keep us informed please.

So I went in to my local Americas tire. Showed them the recall. They called and got the ok from firestone/bridgestone to replace. Gave 209$ per tire plus install fees. Only thing in stock were Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT. Went ahead and had those put on only thing I paid for was difference in price. So I got 4 new tires for 200$.

ACEd

Reaction score
So I went in to my local Americas tire. Showed them the recall. They called and got the ok from firestone/bridgestone to replace. Gave 209$ per tire plus install fees. Only thing in stock were Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT. Went ahead and had those put on only thing I paid for was difference in price. So I got 4 new tires for 200$.
Sounds like you came out pretty good - you could not have sold the Transforce AT and bought new tires for that. I am closer to $700 difference ($1200 vs 500) to replace my Firestones with Cooper AT3/XLT (and that was a good price because my son works at NTB). Interesting Goodyear Ultraterrain AT tire - looks like its made special for Discount Tire / Americas Tire (now merging with Tire Rack) - but it looks good and has 3-peak rating that the Firestones did not - should be better traction, especially off road or in severe weather - only negative I see is its Q speed rating (100 mph) vs OE Transforce is S rated (112 mph). But lower speed rating is not uncommon on more aggressive tread patterns.
Best, Ed

Godzilla

Reaction score
I’m awaiting delivery of my 5th Ram (in my lifetime LOL). They have always come with Firestones; either Transforce AT or HT since the 2005 2500 I owned. All my trucks have been 3/4 or 1 ton and diesel and the Firestone tires just never held up more than 20k miles. I always replaced them with Michelin MS LTX, and when they superseded those with the Defenders, I went with those. I also used those tires on my SUVs. They performed as well as any other tire in the snow - I live in the mountains at 7k feet and we get snow. You just have to remember that you are driving a light in the rear, high torque vehicle and drive accordingly. I have a set of semi-truck chains cut to fit and use them on the front tires when needed. Last winter, during the massive snowstorm in Northern Colorado, I was up with my construction equipment plowing snow and I drove back and forth across Denver, on the deserted freeways during the blizzard 4 times equipped like that and had no issues. Those Michelin last me about 45k miles or a little better per set. They are great for towing heavy. No, they are not as good as Blizzaks in the snow - I have those for one of our AWD cars and those tires are amazing, but….

My dealer won’t swap my new truck’s tires out and Discount tire will only trade for $50 a tire, so I’ll probably just run the new Firestones til they crap out.

ACEd

Reaction score
I’m awaiting delivery of my 5th Ram (in my lifetime LOL). They have always come with Firestones; either Transforce AT or HT since the 2005 2500 I owned. All my trucks have been 3/4 or 1 ton and diesel and the Firestone tires just never held up more than 20k miles. I always replaced them with Michelin MS LTX, and when they superseded those with the Defenders, I went with those. I also used those tires on my SUVs. They performed as well as any other tire in the snow - I live in the mountains at 7k feet and we get snow. You just have to remember that you are driving a light in the rear, high torque vehicle and drive accordingly. I have a set of semi-truck chains cut to fit and use them on the front tires when needed. Last winter, during the massive snowstorm in Northern Colorado, I was up with my construction equipment plowing snow and I drove back and forth across Denver, on the deserted freeways during the blizzard 4 times equipped like that and had no issues. Those Michelin last me about 45k miles or a little better per set. They are great for towing heavy. No, they are not as good as Blizzaks in the snow - I have those for one of our AWD cars and those tires are amazing, but….

My dealer won’t swap my new truck’s tires out and Discount tire will only trade for $50 a tire, so I’ll probably just run the new Firestones til they crap out.
Before I got my truck, Discount tire offered $75 ea for LT275/70R18 Transforce HT with no miles from dealer. But I am selling for $500 for the set of 4 Transforce HT. Have seen them go $600 on Facebook Marketplace here. Net of $700 to change to Coopers at place where my stepson works. I assume you have checked date codes not 1821.

Reactions: dm6

Godzilla

Reaction score
Before I got my truck, Discount tire offered $75 ea for LT275/70R18 Transforce HT with no miles from dealer. But I am selling for $500 for the set of 4 Transforce HT. Have seen them go $600 on Facebook Marketplace here. Net of $700 to change to Coopers at place where my stepson works. I assume you have checked date codes not 1821.
Might be worth the effort. Don't have a huge market where I live but perhaps... $700 would offset the Michelins by almost half.

Godzilla

Reaction score
Might be worth the effort. Don't have a huge market where I live but perhaps... $700 would offset the Michelins by almost half.
I've not gotten the truck yet, It is still 'in transit. I guess it's been sitting in Denver since sometime in December awaiting transport to Salida. When it gets there, I'll drive up from NM ti get it. What is the issue withe the date code?

ACEd

Reaction score
I've not gotten the truck yet, It is still 'in transit. I guess it's been sitting in Denver since sometime in December awaiting transport to Salida. When it gets there, I'll drive up from NM ti get it. What is the issue withe the date code?
See previous posts - Firestone is recalling Transforce HT and AT in LT275/70R18 size with date code 1821. If you have not received your truck yet its unlikely that you have tires from May 2021. Only person posted here with that date code received truck (2021) in June 2021 - but he got retail credit for Firestones and got new Goodyears for $200 total out the door..

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
First thing I did when I picked up my new truck was to donate those Transforce AT's to the nearest trash pile. Put on a set of Continental TerrainContact AT's. Love them!

Godzilla

Reaction score
See previous posts - Firestone is recalling Transforce HT and AT in LT275/70R18 size with date code 1821. If you have not received your truck yet its unlikely that you have tires from May 2021. Only person posted here with that date code received truck (2021) in June 2021 - but he got retail credit for Firestones and got new Goodyears for $200 total out the door..
Oh, very well. I did look that up after you mentioned it and saw that it only appeared to affect 18 inch tires… mine are 20s. I wish they were 18s LOL, cheaper rubber generally.

ACEd

Reaction score
Oh, very well. I did look that up after you mentioned it and saw that it only appeared to affect 18 inch tires… mine are 20s. I wish they were 18s LOL, cheaper rubber generally.
LT275/70R18's climbing in price - most going just under $300 except for a few at $350 - not sure how much difference in price to 20's but ride is better with 18's.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Eyroll? What the heck? I have worked and saved my entire life for what I have. The day I picked up my truck it had snowed. And while the streets were plowed, those Firestone tires did not have much grip. I changed to the Continentals based a number of reviews, and I am very happy with them. The other tire I was considering were the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. So, yea it was a matter of safety. The sad thing is that considering how much these trucks cost, Ram puts on such a poor tire.

RichM752

Reaction score
The sad thing is that considering how much these trucks cost, Ram puts on such a poor tire.
Same with the Harley's. They produce a bike with the crappiest suspension, and you are forced into a 2k upgrade if you want to ride in comfort.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Eyroll? What the heck? I have worked and saved my entire life for what I have. The day I picked up my truck it had snowed. And while the streets were plowed, those Firestone tires did not have much grip. I changed to the Continentals based a number of reviews, and I am very happy with them. The other tire I was considering were the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. So, yea it was a matter of safety. The sad thing is that considering how much these trucks cost, Ram puts on such a poor tire.
First off I find comments like “ must be nice to be rich “ hilarious on a forum discussing new HD trucks with an average price that has to be over $60k. Second, why would I want to have a $70k truck and run tires I don’t want or like ? Just because RAM puts cheap tires in doesn’t mean I have to run them. Lastly, it really depends upon use. If you’re a highway driver and don’t need a good winter tire run the Firestones. I for one am off road and in the snow and can’t afford to be stuck or stranded in middle of nowhere Idaho.

Users who are viewing this thread