Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

thothtp

Reaction score
So I read the whole thread, and maybe I missed it, but I have a question about adding a regular single camera on a '22.

I am ordering a 2500 limited, and I think we are going to skip the trailer surround camera option, but are going to get the tow mode mirror camera, the cargo camera, and the TPMS sensors. I know in the past, before the surround view, there was a single camera for the trailer that was available. I am wondering, can we get that camera system, and use it inside the trailer to monitor the horses through the 12inch screen?

So basically, I would like to have the mirror showing the camera on the back of the trailer all the time. I would like to be able to see the cargo bed when I am hooking up the trailer. And I would like to be able to pull up a view inside the trailer to check on the horses while going down the road. Is this possible, and what parts do I need for the horse cam? I am assuming that view is limited to 10 seconds while moving?

Thanks!

Rampingup

Reaction score
So wanted to see if it would work, so its not all pretty and in finished shape but cut out the shapes for the 12/7pin and tow mode camera connectors in the plastic pillar at the rear of the bed. Located cables for the 12 pin camera system and went up though the round hole in the base of the taillight compartment. Then detached the tow mode camera wire, removed its zip tie connection back to the bundle it joins and snaked it around through the same hole. Cut out the sheet metal behind to allow the plugs to sit flush and the wires to pass through, even let the kiddo cut some with the air saw. Here's the one part I didn't account for, with the locations I placed them it removed both of the tack welds for the lower mount/hole that retains the plastic push retainer, maybe if I went lower with the tow mode camera connector it may be retained, but you can't go higher, there is not enough slack in the wire to go any higher and still reach the connector. So plan is to glue the plastic push retainer in place and put two screws towards the bottom of the plastic pillar to keep it tight to the sheet metal. And of course to clean up those cuts in the sheet metal. Still waiting on the 7 pin pigtail to route up there, supposed to be here today but looks like it will be tomorrow.
Looks nice. Congrats.

ACEd

Reaction score
So I read the whole thread, and maybe I missed it, but I have a question about adding a regular single camera on a '22.

I am ordering a 2500 limited, and I think we are going to skip the trailer surround camera option, but are going to get the tow mode mirror camera, the cargo camera, and the TPMS sensors. I know in the past, before the surround view, there was a single camera for the trailer that was available. I am wondering, can we get that camera system, and use it inside the trailer to monitor the horses through the 12inch screen?

So basically, I would like to have the mirror showing the camera on the back of the trailer all the time. I would like to be able to see the cargo bed when I am hooking up the trailer. And I would like to be able to pull up a view inside the trailer to check on the horses while going down the road. Is this possible, and what parts do I need for the horse cam? I am assuming that view is limited to 10 seconds while moving?

Thanks!
That was previously mentioned - go back thru the threads or search "horse" or something like that. I believe all the cameras except Topw Mode / Digital Rear View display thru the UConnect screen are limited to 8-10 seconds and/or low speed - so if you do go that way at best you might be able to spot check by turning camer on for 10 seconds or so.

Webracin

Reaction score
well the mystery continues, I've got 7 pins part #68527709AC. It makes me wonder for the tow camera if there isn't another part # for it also. The one I've been chasing is 68527599AA
68527599AA is for the digital rear view trailer camera (coax connector)...not the 12 pin connector.

Rampingup

Reaction score
for the 12 pin aux camera try part #82216068AD. If I remember it shows in the UC5 screen but you have to physically change the 12 pin connector IF you were using the surround view trailer, which you aren't.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Thanks!
What you want is the regular mopar trailer camera kit that has been offered since 2020. If you are getting the regular truck surround view system, then your truck will already be prepped for it, and you would buy the mopar trailer camera kit.
If you are not getting truck surround view, then you would want the option called “Trailer Camera Wiring (No Camera) by Mopar”. Then you would still need to buy the camera kit separately.

thothtp

Reaction score
Ok yeah, that is the one. The towing technology group gets me the regular truck surround, so I think I have the options I need, just need to know the camera to buy separately. Does anyone have a part number/link to it?

When installed, this would show up as an aux camera that I can select when needed and see it for 10 seconds? Unless stopped, then it would stay on? And this will still work, despite having the cargo camera right? I am not running out of slots?

Rampingup

Reaction score
See my previous post for part #. I believe this is the aux camera. As far as having the 12 pin with the towing tech group, I expect it on mine. I will know in a few hours. It is finally being delivered to the dealer in about an hr. I'm supposed to be there around noon. Now if I could just find that dancing emoji.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Wish we knew the difference between the 7 pin kit and the 12 pin.

Rampingup

Reaction score
Good point. Never gave it a thought. I assumed (yeah I know) for a regular towing situation. I've got the 7 round to 4 pin flat adapter so I just blew past it.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ok yeah, that is the one. The towing technology group gets me the regular truck surround, so I think I have the options I need, just need to know the camera to buy separately. Does anyone have a part number/link to it?

When installed, this would show up as an aux camera that I can select when needed and see it for 10 seconds? Unless stopped, then it would stay on? And this will still work, despite having the cargo camera right? I am not running out of slots?
You would want to use the part number posted above- 62216068AD- which is the dual camera kit (comes with one camera). You’ll need to use the second camera plug on that kit, because you will only have a soft key on the radio for aux 2.
And yes, you’ll be able to select it while driving, and it’ll stay on for 10 seconds at a time.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Good point. Never gave it a thought. I assumed (yeah I know) for a regular towing situation. I've got the 7 round to 4 pin flat adapter so I just blew past it.
Talking about the camera plug on the bumper and in the box.

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
That was previously mentioned - go back thru the threads or search "horse" or something like that. I believe all the cameras except Topw Mode / Digital Rear View display thru the UConnect screen are limited to 8-10 seconds and/or low speed - so if you do go that way at best you might be able to spot check by turning camer on for 10 seconds or so.
Bringing the cameras up is too slow with the way the user interface is set up. I really wish RAM would change the software to allow a selected view to stay up. I can do this on my Tesla where I always have the rear camera up as the default view. I did notice what must of been a glitch in my 3500 where the front view camera stayed on while I drove a couple of miles up to 40 mph. I'm not sure how to get this feedback back to RAM. For Tesla, we just post on Elon's Twitter feed. If enough people chime in, that often results in action.

thothtp

Reaction score
Bringing the cameras up is too slow with the way the user interface is set up. I really wish RAM would change the software to allow a selected view to stay up. I can do this on my Tesla where I always have the rear camera up as the default view. I did notice what must of been a glitch in my 3500 where the front view camera stayed on while I drove a couple of miles up to 40 mph. I'm not sure how to get this feedback back to RAM. For Tesla, we just post on Elon's Twitter feed. If enough people chime in, that often results in action.
I thought someone mentioned you could set hotkeys? I don't have my RAM yet (just ordered so it will be a while) so I am not sure how that works. But yeah, if it is buried in the menus it will be of dubious value going down the road - and I don't really need to see the horses while backing in to a spot.

gator6

Reaction score
I thought someone mentioned you could set hotkeys? I don't have my RAM yet (just ordered so it will be a while) so I am not sure how that works. But yeah, if it is buried in the menus it will be of dubious value going down the road - and I don't really need to see the horses while backing in to a spot.

The Uconnect in our Pacifica has the ability to arrange apps, but it’s not super fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampingup

Reaction score
Now if I could just get one. I got my truck 2 days ago, got talked into an exterior protection plan (only mentioned interior at closing) which I don't want since I've got a better ceramic coating to get next week. I'm talking to the manager to see if they will trade the exterior package for the camera kit. They said that the kit wasn't available yet, it was on backorder and I might not be able to get it for 45 days and that it would be $750 + $290 installation. I informed them that I already had the wire from the safety group, their wouldn't be any installation since I knew that they wouldn't install the camera on my trailer. They are checking on it. Sure wish these people were better educated.

ACEd

Reaction score
Now if I could just get one. I got my truck 2 days ago, got talked into an exterior protection plan (only mentioned interior at closing) which I don't want since I've got a better ceramic coating to get next week. I'm talking to the manager to see if they will trade the exterior package for the camera kit. They said that the kit wasn't available yet, it was on backorder and I might not be able to get it for 45 days and that it would be $750 + $290 installation. I informed them that I already had the wire from the safety group, their wouldn't be any installation since I knew that they wouldn't install the camera on my trailer. They are checking on it. Sure wish these people were better educated.
While I have to agree with you the Sales and Parts people need to be better educated on product, you have to agree that with options and packages changing frequently and with new camera systems replacing older systems and/or serving different poorly described functions, you get more knowledge and info here based on user experience than they probably have and even if they have the info, they have to be trained on it or at least where to find it - and these days its hard enough just to keep employees.
Really sad situation we have gotten ourselves into. Great to have this forum resource though.

Rampingup

Reaction score
Very well said. Just got off the phone with the dealership. They said the only camera available for my VIN is the 12 pin aux camera. The parts man is telling my sales person I don't have the plug in my bumper. She informed him that I had shown it to him. It would be comical under any other circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong however, that as long as I have the FAHKRA connection in the back bumper, nothing else is needed for the tow camera package to be hooked up, the truck side is complete.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

You can drag a camera icon (any of them really) from the apps screen to one of the lower row positions. Instant access.

I change mine frequently depending on needs.

Users who are viewing this thread