Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REFERENCE: 2019+ Power Wagon Armor

jadmt

Reaction score
I have their gen 1 plate. Interested in seeing the improvements they make. I think the current gen plate is fine. Perhaps if they make it a single piece (instead of two) and change the install of the two front posts that would be an improvement.

Edit: Looks like RAM changed something under the trucks and skid plates don't work in the newer trucks.
yes they are just changing the front driver's side mount.apparently there is now something that blocks the flag nuts from fitting on the motor mount.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to pop in with an update on the skid plates! It was great talking with @CJTEX yesterday and he pointed me towards this thread.

So the previous skid plate design functioned great when installed and was a really interesting part to make! With that said it had some real downsides; installing it kind of sucked, they were extremely time intensive to make, and they involved a lot of vendors and unique processes that just isn't conducive to the logistics issues we've been living with. We never had them in stock and were always built as backorders and it drove me nuts. I started earlier this year on new designs for the Gas and Diesel trucks that were intended to tackle those problems and offer some improvements (even if they weren't needed, if there was an opening for an improvement I went for it). Somewhere around that time we also found that the new 21+ trucks have some scab brackets welded right over one of the original mounting points for who knows what reason. After I started the new designs and found the 21+ years couldn't run the original skids I decided to just stop sales on the original design and stay focused on the new models.

The new models are an entirely new design - this is a generational improvement rather than an adjustment to the original model. With the new designs, the biggest improvements are that installation is now very easy, manufacturability is hugely improved despite the complexity of the mounting design, service is much easier (especially to the transmission), and we now have a Diesel model. With manufacturing so much improved we'll be stocking these new skid plates. The initial launch I'm sure we won't have as much stock as we have demand based on my contact list but we know to plan for that so we can stage production for it.

I can't share pictures or too many specifics yet, but I've seen what some of you do with your trucks so we made these with .250" HRPO Steel and these things are going to be BEEF CAKE. I'll also share that based on the complexity of the new design and our material costs tripling since 12 months ago, pricing isn't finalized but it will be higher than the previous models. The new models are designed to work with the OEM protection elements and the Maple Offroad protection parts just like the original model, should you have or want any of those (Transfer Case guard, 3-bar Power Wagon skid, Maple 3-bar Replacement Skid).

I'm stoked to get these running! Thanks guys!

Marcus Dethloff

Wobly

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Marcus! I can't wait to get the new plate for my 21! I'm always conscious of the terrain and the placement of the transmission when I'm off road. This will help a lot!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

UglyViking

Reaction score
@MDethloff thanks for the update, I can't wait to get one.

Two quick questions if you get the chance to respond.
  1. Deep oil pans are a pretty common upgrade for diesel guys, will these gen 2 skids support any of the aftermarket deep pans? (I'm sure you can't guarantee compatibility but if you have any info it would be awesome)
  2. Any chance you're also toying with a skidplate to protect the SCR/DPF system?

MDethloff

Reaction score
@MDethloff thanks for the update, I can't wait to get one.

Two quick questions if you get the chance to respond.
  1. Deep oil pans are a pretty common upgrade for diesel guys, will these gen 2 skids support any of the aftermarket deep pans? (I'm sure you can't guarantee compatibility but if you have any info it would be awesome)
  2. Any chance you're also toying with a skidplate to protect the SCR/DPF system?
Great questions.
    1. I'm not positive, but I believe that any reasonable deep pan on the market will fit just fine with a lot of room to clear. There were some design factors that drove placement and depth of the skid plate; if we need to account for an even deeper dimension, we will probably make a new skid plate just for deep pan guys so the extra cost and decreased ground clearance that would be involved doesn't hit everyone. If a diesel guy sees this and has a deep oil pan I could confirm fitment with one quick dimension and a notation of which deep pan you have. Basically if your deep pan sits at least 1"+ above the base of the transmission support crossmember, you should be good to go.
    1. It is very easy to add one to the truck once the main skid plate is attached (it makes a great mounting point where one is needed). I have so far decided not to make an SCR skid plate, but I may do one in the future. My concern with guarding the SCR is that if you have a buildup of brush or grass on top of the skid plate and you go through a regen cycle, there's a lot of heat that comes off of that unit. I need to know that it can be safely designed without combustion issues. My experience with fire engines in wildland scenarios leads me to have this concern. Do you guys know if the diesel cats are being stolen like the gas cats are?

UglyViking

Reaction score
Great questions.
    1. I'm not positive, but I believe that any reasonable deep pan on the market will fit just fine with a lot of room to clear. There were some design factors that drove placement and depth of the skid plate; if we need to account for an even deeper dimension, we will probably make a new skid plate just for deep pan guys so the extra cost and decreased ground clearance that would be involved doesn't hit everyone. If a diesel guy sees this and has a deep oil pan I could confirm fitment with one quick dimension and a notation of which deep pan you have. Basically if your deep pan sits at least 1"+ above the base of the transmission support crossmember, you should be good to go.
    1. It is very easy to add one to the truck once the main skid plate is attached (it makes a great mounting point where one is needed). I have so far decided not to make an SCR skid plate, but I may do one in the future. My concern with guarding the SCR is that if you have a buildup of brush or grass on top of the skid plate and you go through a regen cycle, there's a lot of heat that comes off of that unit. I need to know that it can be safely designed without combustion issues. My experience with fire engines in wildland scenarios leads me to have this concern. Do you guys know if the diesel cats are being stolen like the gas cats are?
Appreciate the quick responses. I don't have a deep pan as of yet, so I can't help you there, but I plan to do a VB and deep pan next year, so perhaps I can follow up with you if no one else can.

As for the SCR and fire issue, that is a good point. It's obviously all a tradeoff, I'd think that you could do a "bars" system to prevent large rocks and such but obviously that doesn't help with smaller rocks or other issues. It's a balancing act for sure and I'll admit I had not thought about the brush fire issue. As for the diesel cats being stolen like the gas. I can't say I've heard of any yet, but I'm luckily not in an area this is a common thing. Perhaps others can provide feedback on that.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Appreciate the quick responses. I don't have a deep pan as of yet, so I can't help you there, but I plan to do a VB and deep pan next year, so perhaps I can follow up with you if no one else can.

As for the SCR and fire issue, that is a good point. It's obviously all a tradeoff, I'd think that you could do a "bars" system to prevent large rocks and such but obviously that doesn't help with smaller rocks or other issues. It's a balancing act for sure and I'll admit I had not thought about the brush fire issue. As for the diesel cats being stolen like the gas. I can't say I've heard of any yet, but I'm luckily not in an area this is a common thing. Perhaps others can provide feedback on that.
The good thing here is that once the main skid plate is installed, the SCR really is well protected. It's far enough back from the tires that it's very unlikely that something is going to poke up in there from rolling over a branch, and it's pretty high up. You'll almost certainly stop on the skid plate if you hit something in that area. I'll probably work on something for the SCR just in case, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it once the main skid is in there.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Great to hear these details. Thank you!!!

UglyViking

Reaction score
The good thing here is that once the main skid plate is installed, the SCR really is well protected. It's far enough back from the tires that it's very unlikely that something is going to poke up in there from rolling over a branch, and it's pretty high up. You'll almost certainly stop on the skid plate if you hit something in that area. I'll probably work on something for the SCR just in case, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it once the main skid is in there.
Well I can't wait to see this bad boy!

britome

Reaction score
Thank you. I've been making my own magnet armor for the body to ward off branches. In progress...
c6a4710cac5984c365578a4bc3f2b9b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UglyViking

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Randy Ellis Designs Sleekster rock rails?

View attachment 28493

So far I've seen a YouTube video of a guy running them and a guy or two on Instagram running them. No personal experience but I'll say you're likely to get a lot of naysayers on them, especially from guys that don't understand transfer of load.

I'd say if you're planning to hit some serious off road trips, a lot of more advanced rock crawling with steep drops and risk, then frame mounted is the only way to go. If you're looking for something more for incidental bumps, scrapes and slips, they should be more than fine to protect against dents, dings and punctures. That said, the mount involves something like 30 rivots into the rocker and inside door jam rocker panels, so they are basically a permanent addition unless you're planning on replacing rockers.

The main plus I see for them is they allow you protection while still running amp steps, and they look sleek.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
So far I've seen a YouTube video of a guy running them and a guy or two on Instagram running them. No personal experience but I'll say you're likely to get a lot of naysayers on them, especially from guys that don't understand transfer of load.

I'd say if you're planning to hit some serious off road trips, a lot of more advanced rock crawling with steep drops and risk, then frame mounted is the only way to go. If you're looking for something more for incidental bumps, scrapes and slips, they should be more than fine to protect against dents, dings and punctures. That said, the mount involves something like 30 rivots into the rocker and inside door jam rocker panels, so they are basically a permanent addition unless you're planning on replacing rockers.

The main plus I see for them is they allow you protection while still running amp steps, and they look sleek.
It's actually that transfer of load that caught my eye. Frame-mounted is not my favorite system. 6 feet of surface area and 30+ mounting points to distribute the load are going to be stronger. They sit 3 inches higher so they are also a lot less likely to be used. But it's those 30+ rivets that are turning me off. That's a lot of holes to drill in a 75k truck.
I'll look for the youtube vid. The pics on the website are not very clear.
Thanks!

UglyViking

Reaction score
It's actually that transfer of load that caught my eye. Frame-mounted is not my favorite system. 6 feet of surface area and 30+ mounting points to distribute the load are going to be stronger. They sit 3 inches higher so they are also a lot less likely to be used. But it's those 30+ rivets that are turning me off. That's a lot of holes to drill in a 75k truck.
I'll look for the youtube vid. The pics on the website are not very clear.
Thanks!
I don't think that the RED system will be stronger than a traditional frame mounted slider, but it gets to a point where you're going to want tests. I'd be worried that so much weight and velocity against the body mounts would potentially cause them to rip off, but that is on some serious stuff that I'd argue 90% of guys won't see.

People should also realize that the XJ jeep guys have been welding rectangle "tube" as rocker panel/slider protection for some time. Obviously the XJ is a bit unique as there is no "frame" as it were, and they weigh quite a bit less than the HD trucks we have here, but again it depends on the intensity of your use case.

I don't know the individual strength of the rivets supplied, but you're going to be transferring weight across multiple rivets per "hit", so I wouldn't be overly concerned there personally. The biggest concerns I would have are permanence (unless you replace the rockers, bondo the holes, or replace the cab those things are gonna be there) and rust protection (which can be accounted for ruing install, but I live in the north east and they look like a potential rust issue without some amount of consideration.

jadmt

Reaction score
I think they would hold up fine. I have seen jeeps with similar designs (I know they are lighter) take some abuse beyond what you would think they could. The only reason I would not do Randy Ellis designs myself is there is never going back once you install them. Me I have the attention span of a poodle so always wanting to change things up.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Emailed Dethloff about their skid plate and he said they are likely still on track to release it this quarter. Can’t wait to see it!

Users who are viewing this thread