Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

UglyViking

Reaction score
How long will this investigation last, generally
According to the NHTSA (source, page 13) "Investigations are generally resolved within 12 months from the date they are opened. They are either closed on the basis that further investigation is not warranted, or because the manufacturer has decided to conduct a recall. In the event that ODI believes further analysis is warranted, the investigator will conduct a more detailed and complete analysis of the character and scope of the alleged defect."

So hopefully FCA will work closely with the NHTSA, considering that FCA supposedly had a "service solution" that was close, fingers crossed it's within that 12 months. That said, I wouldn't expect to hear anything this year considering the many, many delays FCA has had on this, and the fact they had initially opened their "quick response" back in 2019.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I have conducted my own investigation. The result is a removal of the CP4.2 by way of GIVEMETHEVIN.com

Paid $60,600 Sept. 2020. Sold for $62,000. CP4 conversion offer I couldn't refuse. Stellantis conversion failed.

My first dive into something modern other than GM over the past decades. Was really impressed with the RAM interior, the exterior paint quality, and overall build. Very unimpressed with FCA/Stellantis transparency. NHTSA manufacture communications on my model came to a halt around May . If you see what other MFGs provide it's staggering in comparison. The CP4.2 debacle has lost a customer. Sure, I'll get the Hellzsniper laugh react, the off-topic brow beating for this post from Brutal....etc....but it really is too bad. I'm the one they come after in all the commercials and marketing. I buy new vehicles far too regularly and convince many others in person and through web content (how bout that Messages/Reaction Score eh? lol) and am fiercely brand loyal.

Here's hoping your CP4.2 issues get resolved. Y'all really do deserve some closure after how much you've spent on these rigs.

Cheers.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have conducted my own investigation. The result is a removal of the CP4.2 by way of GIVEMETHEVIN.com

Paid $60,600 Sept. 2020. Sold for $62,000. CP4 conversion offer I couldn't refuse. Stellantis conversion failed.

My first dive into something modern other than GM over the past decades. Was really impressed with the RAM interior, the exterior paint quality, and overall build. Very unimpressed with FCA/Stellantis transparency. NHTSA manufacture communications on my model came to a halt around May . If you see what other MFGs provide it's staggering in comparison. The CP4.2 debacle has lost a customer. Sure, I'll get the Hellzsniper laugh react, the off-topic brow beating for this post from Brutal....etc....but it really is too bad. I'm the one they come after in all the commercials and marketing. I buy new vehicles far too regularly and convince many others in person and through web content (how bout that Messages/Reaction Score eh? lol) and am fiercely brand loyal.

Here's hoping your CP4.2 issues get resolved. Y'all really do deserve some closure after how much you've spent on these rigs.

Cheers.
Its H3LZSN1P3R get it right….

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Cheers.

Is this the departure announcement?

I ask because those are always so meaningful and appropriate, particularly when, as you rightfully acknowledge, they are off-topic for the thread.

SMH

UglyViking

Reaction score
Admin doesn't need to confirm, it's available on the NHTSA website (report pdf).

The biggest thing I was eager to find out was the total number of failures, and current reports list it at 4%, which doesn't account for anyone who switched over to a CP3 unit, but I'd imagine that is sub 1% anyway.

In even better news, it looks like FCA will be reimbursing those who have already made the update themselves, if the report is to be believed.

72guy

Reaction score
People on FB already going crazy about this. Big question is if the replacement gonna be the 4.2 or 3.
I had the same thought. But, it would make no sense to put out a fix to the problem using the same component that caused the problem in the first place? Especially true when your already applying a fix to the problem in newer trucks with the CP3 or a version of the CP3.

UglyViking

Reaction score
People on FB already going crazy about this. Big question is if the replacement gonna be the 4.2 or 3.
The 4.2 is already in there, I think if they could have figured out some black magic prior to this they would have. It's going to be the CP3, no doubt.

The bigger question I've got, will it be setup like the factory CP3s where they need to chance the timing cover, or will it be setup like the swap kits with a bracket?

diablo82

Reaction score
This really showcasing how RAM willing to deal with issue vs. FORD and GM whose rather lawyer up then taking care of their customers. My next question is that should I change my fuel filter that's up for maintenance? It's not miles (only 4k) but the 12-month period. I am just thinking for the inspection aspect of this recall; if they found metal shaving, will it trigger their protocol to inspect the fuel components further down the line to ensure all my fuel line and injector is not damaged?

Users who are viewing this thread