Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAM 2500 HD

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
That's all I can say
The one change I wish they would offer is more night edition colors. I wanted the olive green night edition when I was ordering. A look similar to the green powerwagon.
Well, that and a small diesel (eco diesel?) in the PW. Good low torque, good mileage. And it would still have the ability to tow just as much as a 1500 lol.

Minimization

Reaction score
If nothing major is happening until 2025 (3 years from now...fall of 2024?), then I'll be buying a Ford instead. They can't keep this transmission charade up much longer. It would be nice to see the ZF PowerLine AP8 on the base Cummins and then the new medium duty 9 speed Allison automatic on the Cummins HO. Hell, upcharge that one a lot more if you have to. A 5th generation cab would be nice to get options like the panoramic sunroof and head-up display. Can we have more colors too? Anvil Grey, please?

You can't get around the physics- more gears equals faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption for the same engine.

I am not dropping $75k on a 2023 with a 6 speed tranny.

I mean, look at GM go:

Last edited:

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
If nothing major is happening until 2025 (3 years from now...fall of 2024?), then I'll be buying a Ford instead. They can't keep this transmission charade up much longer. It would be nice to see the ZF PowerLine AP8 on the base Cummins and then the new medium duty 9 speed Allison automatic on the Cummins HO. Hell, upcharge that one a lot more if you have to. A 5th generation cab would be nice to get options like the panoramic sunroof and head-up display. Can we have more colors too? Anvil Grey, please?

You can't get around the physics- more gears equals faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption for the same engine.

I am not dropping $75k on a 2023 with a 6 speed tranny.

I mean, look at GM go:
What’s wrong with the 68? It’s a fine transmission. Gets good mileage. Reliable. What do you need a 10+ Speed transmission for?

Minimization

Reaction score
What’s wrong with the 68? It’s a fine transmission. Gets good mileage. Reliable. What do you need a 10+ Speed transmission for?
First, I'd settle for 8 gears. If you are paying $80k you are paying for tens of millions in R&D just like the Ford and GM guys are, but getting no R&D in return. Why pay for a 20 y old design? The fallacy of "Tried and true"? It's like the Toyota Corolla crowd back in 2014 singing the praises of its 4 speed auto.

Please, let me repeat: "You can't get around the physics- more gears equals faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption for the same engine."

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
First, I'd settle for 8 gears. If you are paying $80k you are paying for tens of millions in R&D just like the Ford and GM guys are, but getting no R&D in return. Why pay for a 20 y old design? The fallacy of "Tried and true"? It's like the Toyota Corolla crowd back in 2014 singing the praises of its 4 speed auto.

Please, let me repeat: "You can't get around the physics- more gears equals faster acceleration and lower fuel consumption for the same engine."
I’m sure it’s a solid transmission and would do just fine.. I just personally don’t get behind the marketing gimmicks of introducing a new transmission. Just like the 5-10hp/tq increase each year. I guess if they’re talking about standardization across the 2500/3500 lines, that makes sense. Once trans would be a good idea

Threeper88

Reaction score
How could Ram realistically justify not updating the cab until 2025? Seems like a huge mistake. Guys will be jumping ship.

And Ford’s 7.3 may as well be their base engine at this point. 6.2 only lands in fleet trucks, sometimes.

As mentioned, paying for R&D that doesn’t exist.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Well ram has the same millage as the other 2 and has more power… 6 speeds is more than enough… do you want the same issues the 19+ duramaxes and the 20+ powerjokes have with the trannies too? More gears means more issues. and the ram 6 speeds have not been out 20 years and they are constantly updating and improving the 68rfe so its not the same design…. Look at the IKE gauntlet challenges the rams fully loaded have no issue pulling up steep mountain passes…. And if you want acceleration buy a sports car not an 8000lbs truck which these have great acceleration anyway

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Well ram has the same millage as the other 2 and has more power… 6 speeds is more than enough… do you want the same issues the 19+ duramaxes and the 20+ powerjokes have with the trannies too? More gears means more issues. and the ram 6 speeds have not been out 20 years and they are constantly updating and improving the 68rfe so its not the same design…. Look at the IKE gauntlet challenges the rams fully loaded have no issue pulling up steep mountain passes…. And if you want acceleration buy a sports car not an 8000lbs truck which these have great acceleration anyway
Some engines work better pulling, like an I6 engine, some work better with more gears, like a V8 diesel behind the fantastic Aliison,HA!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some engines work better pulling, like an I6 engine, some work better with more gears, like a V8 diesel behind the fantastic Aliison,HA!
Well thats just it, there is a reason transports run inline engines and the bottom line is they are tq monsters at low RPM where the V8s tend to make the power at higher rpm hence why they need more gears in the trans

Grayson

Reaction score
The 10 speed twins have more issues than frequently mentioned. Its all about the powerbanz. The GM 10 speed is not an Allison built unit, Allison licensed the name or did some changes I cant remember which. I'm sure both GM & Ford are going to spend between 700 billion and a trillion 300 million billion between R&D and updates. I would prefer a 6 or 8 speed

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
So no big changes until 2025. Maybe we should be calling ours a 5th gen instead of a 4.5 gen :eek:

eating-popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread