Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I let my DEF tank almost go empty to check the cut-off- software. It does what the owners man said it would do. You get the message that speed will be reduced to 5 mph if not refilled in 250 miles. Then every time you drive another 25 miles you get a reminder of the same thing minus 25 miles.

Haven't done that exercise as yet but plan to run the current DEF fill down as the mercury plunges. Anecdotally, the DEF tank heater is more effective when the tank is less that half full.

jakebrake

Reaction score
in live in the south and if we get 19 down here three nights, that's a lot. 59 high today. my truck has been perfect so far except for one small door issue.

U

User_905

Maybe someone can chime in on my predicament as well. I’ve had my truck since late October. My driving consists of mostly highway driving but I’m a slow driver and take the number 3 lane at 55mph and when taking off from stop signs or stop lights my RPM gauge doesn’t if ever exceed 2000 RPM. My DPF filter gauge hasn’t moved since I bought the truck from 0% or close to it. Coming up on 7000 miles now and still not a single regen cycle to be seen or heard. On top of that my oil level is still at 68% and fuel filter is at 54%. I normally change out oil at 7500 intervals but being so close to the mark and the percentage and visual inspection of the oil being in good condition; could my gauges or sensors be defective?

Coming from an 04’ 3500 which didn’t have ANY of this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

jakebrake

Reaction score
Maybe someone can chime in on my predicament as well. I’ve had my truck since late October. My driving consists of mostly highway driving but I’m a slow driver and take the number 3 lane at 55mph and when taking off from stop signs or stop lights my RPM gauge doesn’t if ever exceed 2000 RPM. My DPF filter gauge hasn’t moved since I bought the truck from 0% or close to it. Coming up on 7000 miles now and still not a single regen cycle to be seen or heard. On top of that my oil level is still at 68% and fuel filter is at 54%. I normally change out oil at 7500 intervals but being so close to the mark and the percentage and visual inspection of the oil being in good condition; could my gauges or sensors be defective?

Thanks in advance.

your fine. #1. your truck is telling you that 7K in a few weeks must be a lot of highway and your factory oil if still good. it being a new truck yes I would want a change at around 6-10K , but the system and oil is good for up to 15K. change your oil whenever you want and reset the comp. use T6 Rotella 5W40 for this time of the year and your good. if you were driving in mostly city and stop and go a lot your comp. would be telling you more like 48% and not 68. after the first oil change just don't let her get over 15K is all you need to worry about. but you and I know that as much money as they cost 10K would be much better.

#2. your fuel filter sensor is spot on. it's not going to let you go past 15K

jared43758

Reaction score
What kinda MPG do you get with this driving style??

Thanks in advance.

U

User_905

What kinda MPG do you get with this driving style??
It really depends on the amount of congestion I hit around Vegas. I usually hit minor congestion daily so currently I’m sitting at 21-22mpg. With clear roadways I’ve got as high as 23-24mpg. It takes a little longer to get places but I’m in no hurry honestly so I don’t mind.

Attachments

• 13A0404F-DB69-4567-8429-FC9F0883EA59.jpeg
    13A0404F-DB69-4567-8429-FC9F0883EA59.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 76
D

Deleted member 80

Thanks in advance.
Unless you have been locked onto the DPF screen 100% of the time, I can pretty much guarantee your truck has been doing regens. My gauge read zero yesterday before I left on a 300 mile round trip to Flagstaff, almost all highway at 70-75, and my truck went into regen this morning with the gauge on zero. It's hard to detect going down the highway, but I can hear it right away when it kicks off at slower speeds. The engine gets a little timing rattle, and you can hear more intake noise or "honk" in the airbox. Also the instant mpg will drop quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 80

AFAIK, DEF is used during normal operation, but is not part of the regen process. Extra fuel is used to cook off the deposits.

U

User_905

Well I guess we should ask how much def fluid gets went though
That I’m not 100% sure of. The 2.5 gallon jug fills up the truck perfectly at half a tank of DEF so I usually just refill once the gauge hits half. I’ve filled it up 3 or 4 times if memory serves. Tomorrow going to buy some more so that’ll make 4 or 5 at 7500 miles.

dr.barker

Reaction score
Interesting feed that explains some things. At 5000 miles, I took my truck from Lubbock, TX to Crested Butte, CO for a ski trip. I used the exhaust brake some going through the mountains and then had it parked outside the condo driving it very little during that trip. We did use the auto-start and let it idle a few times before getting in it. On the way home, the DPF evidently filled up completely causing the check engine light to come on and noting "power reduced" and go to the nearest dealer. It evidently wasn't in true "limp mode," but I'm not sure. I did have some trouble passing other cars on the way home. I stopped at a dealer after 3 hours of the warning and light (on a Saturday) and they didn't have a tech that could do an active regen. About 2 hours further down the road, I got the message that the truck was doing a regeneration. We were at highway speeds for another 3 hours and it still didn't finish and the CEL didn't go off. The next day running around town it continued to regenerate and the CEL was off. I got concerned and added some Royal Purple diesel additive that was supposed to drop the temp for particle burn-off. Since then, it's acted as above with the DPF gauge showing about 20-50% and goes into regeneration mode occasionally staying on until it gets the level down under 25%. I will just keep watching. It is nice that I didn't have to go to the dealer and it cleared itself, but was certainly no fun for those hours driving and not being able to take care of it. I assume I either got some bad diesel in the mountains or running in stop and go in very low temperatures caused the build-up of soot.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Interesting feed that explains some things. At 5000 miles, I took my truck from Lubbock, TX to Crested Butte, CO for a ski trip. I used the exhaust brake some going through the mountains and then had it parked outside the condo driving it very little during that trip. We did use the auto-start and let it idle a few times before getting in it. On the way home, the DPF evidently filled up completely causing the check engine light to come on and noting "power reduced" and go to the nearest dealer. It evidently wasn't in true "limp mode," but I'm not sure. I did have some trouble passing other cars on the way home. I stopped at a dealer after 3 hours of the warning and light (on a Saturday) and they didn't have a tech that could do an active regen. About 2 hours further down the road, I got the message that the truck was doing a regeneration. We were at highway speeds for another 3 hours and it still didn't finish and the CEL didn't go off. The next day running around town it continued to regenerate and the CEL was off. I got concerned and added some Royal Purple diesel additive that was supposed to drop the temp for particle burn-off. Since then, it's acted as above with the DPF gauge showing about 20-50% and goes into regeneration mode occasionally staying on until it gets the level down under 25%. I will just keep watching. It is nice that I didn't have to go to the dealer and it cleared itself, but was certainly no fun for those hours driving and not being able to take care of it. I assume I either got some bad diesel in the mountains or running in stop and go in very low temperatures caused the build-up of soot.
Interesting and good explanation. Please report to us anymore hiccups or fixes thx.

AKDoug

Reaction score
If anyone was going to have a DPF issue it would be me. Due to the way my truck is used, I'm doing everything from sitting in the truck supervising, to towing stuff, and then back to waiting for somebody to meet me, I end up idling the truck a bunch. To the tune of almost 50% of my hours on the truck. It's my mobile office and it's cold outside, it gets started in the morning and is rarely shut off.

I've had zero issues with re-gens. I've even had to shut the truck off in the middle of an auto-regen and it's been fine. On these 19's you won't even know you're in re-gen unless you are looking at the DPF screen all the time. Mine goes into re-gen without ever registering on the gauge. My re-gens, when I see them happening, typically take about 20 miles to finish. Half my miles are towing, though, so maybe I'm just timing it right on accident.

rcalbertjr89

Reaction score
Well here is some info that I learned today.

1. I have a new ( three day old ) Longhorn 3500, 6.7 when it had 120 miles on it, the DPF gauge in the instrument cluster showed 30% ( full, blockage ) of a 100%. ( my 2018 Laramie didn't have this gauge ).

2. I took off on a road trip and drove 175 miles at highway seeds. and now this what the gauge looks like.

What does it take to get to 0% I wonder.

Anyone going through something like this. View attachment 980

I have a 2020 tradesman crew cab just got about a week ago and drove 700 miles. Did 2 round trips of 175 miles and the dpf gauge is on 0 and hasn’t moved yet. So is that a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I leave the dash on the dpf filter and mine never says anything but zero. I've had 5 recently over 13k miles. my truck is a daily driver, commuter, grocery getter, and tow pig.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Active regens occur when the soot level reaches a certain point, 66% in Ecodiesels, not sure in Cummins). AND The engine temps must reach operating levels. An active regen will not occur unless those two parameters are met. Active regens do not use DEF. Speed has nothing to do with an active regen, however, RPMs have to be above a certain level. I believe 1500, not sure. Stop and go traffic will usually not shut down a regen as long as the engine temps stay in grade.

Passive regens occur at only at high engine temps and RPMs. It requires hard freeway driving or under load or towing. Passive regens use DEF to reduce NOX emissions. Passive regens are not reported or displayed on monitors or Evics (not sure about the 2919-20 Evics but probably not). It is said that many of us, because we do not push/force our trucks, will hardly experience passive regens thus DEF will last a long time.

I'm no expert, owning an Ecodiesel has educated me regards DEF, regens and EGR data. The above is what I have earned, accept it accordingly as I don't want to be guilty of misleading anyone.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Active regens occur when the soot level reaches a certain point, 66% in Ecodiesels, not sure in Cummins). AND The engine temps must reach operating levels. An active regen will not occur unless those two parameters are met. Active regens do not use DEF. Speed has nothing to do with an active regen, however, RPMs have to be above a certain level. I believe 1500, not sure. Stop and go traffic will usually not shut down a regen as long as the engine temps stay in grade.

Passive regens occur at only at high engine temps and RPMs. It requires hard freeway driving or under load or towing. Passive regens use DEF to reduce NOX emissions. Passive regens are not reported or displayed on monitors or Evics (not sure about the 2919-20 Evics but probably not). It is said that many of us, because we do not push/force our trucks, will hardly experience passive regens thus DEF will last a long time.

I'm no expert, owning an Ecodiesel has educated me regards DEF, regens and EGR data. The above is what I have earned, accept it accordingly as I don't want to be guilty of misleading anyone.
Good description. Just remember you’re always right.... until proven wrong or until your wife tells you are!:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread