Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wonder why some have pressure on the gauge from day one i have 10,000 miles on my truck and yet to see anything on the dpf gauge. Every 2500 miles it tends to regen i can only really tell by the extra fuel consumption i can see the mpg drop then cycle to the dpf gauge and see it is regening

D

Deleted member 80

It's a function of driving habits, and duty cycle. Idle time, short trips, etc, all cause sooting. If restriction gets high enough, an Active Regen kicks off. Even if there is no restriction indicated, it will do an Active Regen every 24 engine hours.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
I have never seen percentage on my gauge either only shows an active regen occuring. I can hear the engine sound difference when in regen and mileage drop occur also.

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First post and bumping this thread.

I've got 26K on my 2019 2500 and it usually goes into regen every couple of weeks or so.

These last few weeks it's been idling a lot in the cold and making short trips and the DPF level didn't go above 0 which I knew wasn't true. So the other day driving back home I get a "Continue driving..." Regen message and the DPF is at like 60%, so I continue to drive at highway speeds then it gives me a DPF full, reduced engine power, see dealer message.

Has anyone had a similar issue? If so was the forced regen/DPF cleaning covered under warranty?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 80

No idea if it would be covered. If you do a web search on "DPF Face Plugging", it is possible to operate outside the system's ability to recover.

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Update: Went to the dealer yesterday and they cleared the permanent codes which allowed the truck to start Regen. The DPF said it was ~70% full according to the gauge once the code cleared. The tech told me to keep driving until it cleared, I drove for 1.5 hours and 100 miles before needing to refuel with how much fuel the regen was taking (10-13 MPG at 75 Mph). When parking the truck the regen stopped and it said I was at ~ 35% DPF. Resuming driving back for the 100 miles home it started to regen again before kicking on the code that the DPF was full... I kept driving and then it started to regen again for the drive home. When I got back the regen was still not complete and it was reading ~10% DPF full. This morning I took it to the dealer for them to look at it and despite it regening during the ~20 minute highway drive to the dealer, the DPF full percentage increased to ~40%.

Will update with dealer findings when I get the truck back.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
That's aggravating good luck, anxious to know what they'll do. Hopefully and should be covered under warranty.

jkempken

Reaction score
Update: Went to the dealer yesterday and they cleared the permanent codes which allowed the truck to start Regen. The DPF said it was ~70% full according to the gauge once the code cleared. The tech told me to keep driving until it cleared, I drove for 1.5 hours and 100 miles before needing to refuel with how much fuel the regen was taking (10-13 MPG at 75 Mph). When parking the truck the regen stopped and it said I was at ~ 35% DPF. Resuming driving back for the 100 miles home it started to regen again before kicking on the code that the DPF was full... I kept driving and then it started to regen again for the drive home. When I got back the regen was still not complete and it was reading ~10% DPF full. This morning I took it to the dealer for them to look at it and despite it regening during the ~20 minute highway drive to the dealer, the DPF full percentage increased to ~40%.

Will update with dealer findings when I get the truck back.
How much were you idling the truck before you were having issues. I have heard idling for extended periods of time on these newer trucks with the DEF systems is potentially bad for them. I have about a 20-30 minute drive each way for work and normally idle about 5 minutes in the AM to warm it up. I also leave it idling when i fill it up and run into the store for a few minutes. Wondering if that is enough to cause some issues down the line.

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
How much were you idling the truck before you were having issues. I have heard idling for extended periods of time on these newer trucks with the DEF systems is potentially bad for them. I have about a 20-30 minute drive each way for work and normally idle about 5 minutes in the AM to warm it up. I also leave it idling when i fill it up and run into the store for a few minutes. Wondering if that is enough to cause some issues down the line.
A decent bit of idling, It kicks up to high idle soon enough though to try and run hotter so you're not clogging up your DPF. The gf and I went camping in the back of the cab up here in the CO mountains and idled it 3 times for about 20 minutes throughout the night. Thought it would kick into regen on the drive home but didn't, that probably is compounding my issues here.

So yes I wouldn't recommend idling it because, to my understanding, when you are running cold/ low RPM/ lugging the engine/ low airflow is when you'll be producing significant DPM and clogging up the DPF; other than the DEF system kicking on when your EGTs are higher to counter NOx I'm not sure how it plays into the regen process.

The tech at the dealer told me the regen should take about 20 minutes so maybe during your drive to work it'll kick on a clear itself, I think problems happen when you continuously interrupt the regen process.

Hope that helps

jkempken

Reaction score
A decent bit of idling, It kicks up to high idle soon enough though to try and run hotter so you're not clogging up your DPF. The gf and I went camping in the back of the cab up here in the CO mountains and idled it 3 times for about 20 minutes throughout the night. Thought it would kick into regen on the drive home but didn't, that probably is compounding my issues here.

So yes I wouldn't recommend idling it because, to my understanding, when you are running cold/ low RPM/ lugging the engine/ low airflow is when you'll be producing significant DPM and clogging up the DPF; other than the DEF system kicking on when your EGTs are higher to counter NOx I'm not sure how it plays into the regen process.

The tech at the dealer told me the regen should take about 20 minutes so maybe during your drive to work it'll kick on a clear itself, I think problems happen when you continuously interrupt the regen process.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply, and hope everything works out. Keep us updated on your findings.

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, thought I'd update on here.

The dealer kicked it into stationary regen the day after my update post. Since then it has been running normally, my DPF level just kicked up to an 1/8 after some more cold mornings and idling. I'm hoping to see if kick into regen soon when it gets to 1/4 and bring that down to indicate that it's back working properly.

Viper67

Reaction score
your fine. #1. your truck is telling you that 7K in a few weeks must be a lot of highway and your factory oil if still good. it being a new truck yes I would want a change at around 6-10K , but the system and oil is good for up to 15K. change your oil whenever you want and reset the comp. use T6 Rotella 5W40 for this time of the year and your good. if you were driving in mostly city and stop and go a lot your comp. would be telling you more like 48% and not 68. after the first oil change just don't let her get over 15K is all you need to worry about. but you and I know that as much money as they cost 10K would be much better.

#2. your fuel filter sensor is spot on. it's not going to let you go past 15K

This is wrong. The 2019s and higher are to use 10w30 oil if mean temps are 0 or warmer. And to use 10w40 is mean temps are below 0. Check your manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This is wrong. The 2019s and higher are to use 10w30 oil if mean temps are 0 or warmer. And to use 10w40 is mean temps are below 0. Check your manual.

It's not wrong. The OP didn't really indicate climate. If there's any chance of below 0F operation, one should run the 5W40.

10W30 for consistently mean temps above 0F.

5W40 for consistently mean temps below 0F. No mention of 10W40 is made (you can't even get T6 in 10W40).

The TSB specifically warns not to use 15W40 in 2019+ (CGI/hydraulic lifter) engines.

Attachments

• MC-10178698-9999.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 17

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

No you dont use 10w-40 thats not good for the lifters and depending where you are located most people can get away with 5w-40 year round if they don't see extreme heat

Viper67

Reaction score
Thanks. Didn’t know about the tsb saying not to use 10w-40.

Viper67

Reaction score
So let me ask this: I live in Dallas, we see temps above 0 all year. During the summer we see 100+ degrees. However I travel to Colorado for three weeks in August and the temps are 35-70 degrees.

I want to keep my truck for many years. Should I run 10w-30 year around or change it up depending on time of year? When I go to CO I’m towing 6500lbs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So let me ask this: I live in Dallas, we see temps above 0 all year. During the summer we see 100+ degrees. However I travel to Colorado for three weeks in August and the temps are 35-70 degrees.

I want to keep my truck for many years. Should I run 10w-30 year around or change it up depending on time of year? When I go to CO I’m towing 6500lbs.

10w30 would be ideal for you,

i dont see why they cant just make a 5w30 diesel oil and run it year round

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Well... I’ve run two oil changes (14k) on 15-40... should I be concerned? Going to change it today to 10-30

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well... I’ve run two oil changes (14k) on 15-40... should I be concerned? Going to change it today to 10-30
No not if you don't have lifter noise but always check the manual and if your oil change receipt says 15w40 and you need engine warranty you could run in to issues

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
No not if you don't have lifter noise but always check the manual and if your oil change receipt says 15w40 and you need engine warranty you could run in to issues
No lifter noise yet thankfully, I think a change with some T6 would help flush out any deposits... I asked my contact at Cummins who is a mech. engineer there about it and will report back with what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread