Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling 248,342 units of its Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty pickups due to the possibility of a build-up of pressure and heat inside the transmission that may result in a transmission fluid leak from the dipstick. The leaking transmission fluid may contact an ignition source within the engine compartment, increasing the risk of a fire.
A vehicle fire can result in an increased risk of occupant injury and/or injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.
The driver may notice a “Malfunction Indicator Lamp” on the instrument cluster prior to the event.
Those affected vehicles are equipped with the standard-output 6.7-liter Cummins I-6 turbodiesel and 6-speed 68RFE automatic transmission.
- 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500 (DJ) – 199,377 units built between Wednesday, September 4th, 2019 to Friday, November 4th, 2022
- 2020 to 2022 Ram 3500 (D2) – 48,965 units built between Wednesday, September 18th, 2019 to Friday, November 4th, 2022
Recall Chronology –
- On June 7th, 2022, the FCA US Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization opened an investigation into 2020 to 2023 model year Ram 2500/3500 pickup trucks as a result of a detection of a potential trend of engine compartment fires.
- From June 2022, through November 2022, TSRC analyzed fire patterns, witness statements, and vehicle histories to confirm the events were trend-related.
- During September and November 2022, FCA US Powertrain Engineering analyzed returned transmissions from the field.
- As of November 2nd, 2022, FCA US is aware of 16 CAIRS, 16 field reports, and 16 warranty claims potentially related to this issue for all markets with dates of receipts ranging from March 24th, 2022 to October 12th, 2022.
- As of November 2nd, 2022, FCA US is aware of 1 minor injury and no fatalities potentially related to this issue for all markets.
- On November 3rd, 2022, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
A remedy is currently under development. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on December 30th, 2022. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is ZA3.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to NHTSA.gov.
You must be logged in to post a comment.