Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Contemplating the Maxcare warranty and options for the 2500 Cummins I’m picking up Sunday.

Years and mileage is easy based on driving habits and how long I tend to keep vehicle. Just sold my 2011 F150 with 76,000 miles. It’s only about $300 difference between 8/85 and 8/100 so I’ll probably do the 8/100 since this is being purchased to pull our new airstream amd we’ll likely be driving more than in the past.

Can anyone describe a scenario where the road hazard tire & wheel and/or auto appearance care plus make sense?

cmh2007

Reaction score
You usually are better getting discount tire to cover the tires. I have found in general, that most extended warranty systems never pay

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
You usually are better getting discount tire to cover the tires. I have found in general, that most extended warranty systems never pay

That’s what I figured. A good chunk of my family works for Discount here in Scottsdale. Even with that I quite buying the tire certs. They got real expensive and I NEVER used them.

I can see a warranty company hemming and hawing over paying a warranty on a wear and tear item.

dm6

Reaction score
I am also thinking of getting the Max Care because I put on low miles as well. While I normally don't like extended warranties, these seem like a pretty good deal for 8 years of coverage with one of the lower mileage plans (I only need the 75 or 85k). The things the worry me the most are the electronics, especially that 12" screen, as if anything goes wrong with that this warranty will definitely pay for itself.

Good call on Discount. They will fix it for you for free if it is repairable, even if you don't buy tires there (or at least they used to). I think they will even let you guy those full replacement warranty certificates on tires that you haven't bought there. I remember my dad going there with a car with the original tires still and they let him warranty the other tires.

cmh2007

Reaction score
That’s what I figured. A good chunk of my family works for Discount here in Scottsdale. Even with that I quite buying the tire certs. They got real expensive and I NEVER used them.

I can see a warranty company hemming and hawing over paying a warranty on a wear and tear item.
They do it on all items. The major expense items such as transmission and engine are covered for 60 k from the factory. My game plan is to assess at that time so that im not paying for things im never going to use.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I am also thinking of getting the Max Care because I put on low miles as well. While I normally don't like extended warranties, these seem like a pretty good deal for 8 years of coverage with one of the lower mileage plans (I only need the 75 or 85k). The things the worry me the most are the electronics, especially that 12" screen, as if anything goes wrong with that this warranty will definitely pay for itself.

Good call on Discount. They will fix it for you for free if it is repairable, even if you don't buy tires there (or at least they used to). I think they will even let you guy those full replacement warranty certificates on tires that you haven't bought there. I remember my dad going there with a car with the original tires still and they let him warranty the other tires.

With the new vehicles being being giant computers I feel the extended factory warranties are good insurance.

If you just stop and think about all the little electric motors in seats and mirrors and heating / cooling elements in the seats. Infotainment systems. Driver assistance functions….and the labor involved in fixing them….$1400-$2000 seems like a solid insurance plan.

Not to mention mechanical things which are all computerized as well. You gotta drop an engine or transmission for something not related to the 5/100 engine warranty and that warranty starts to seem like a smoking deal.

Anyone reference the Discount thing, the deals you remember (as with most things these days) are quite as good as you remember. Still a solid customer oriented company. Just not quite as “Discount” as they used to be. Still might be a good deal jus depends on individual need.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
With the new vehicles being being giant computers I feel the extended factory warranties are good insurance.

If you just stop and think about all the little electric motors in seats and mirrors and heating / cooling elements in the seats. Infotainment systems. Driver assistance functions….and the labor involved in fixing them….$1400-$2000 seems like a solid insurance plan.

Not to mention mechanical things which are all computerized as well. You gotta drop an engine or transmission for something not related to the 5/100 engine warranty and that warranty starts to seem like a smoking deal.

Anyone reference the Discount thing, the deals you remember (as with most things these days) are quite as good as you remember. Still a solid customer oriented company. Just not quite as “Discount” as they used to be. Still might be a good deal jus depends on individual need.
And they’ll still price match (if they have the tires you want). I tried getting them to price match https://mbenzgram.com/ because they always have 10% off… no issues at all!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I paid more for a single airline ticket 2 weeks ago to see my mother for Christmas (I bought two gulp) than what the warranty cost.

Peace of mind to cover escaped electrons is worth it to me. Not normally an extended warranty guy.

dm6

Reaction score
And they’ll still price match (if they have the tires you want). I tried getting them to price match https://mbenzgram.com/ because they always have 10% off… no issues at all!
One thing I noticed on those warranty certificates is that it says something about 3 years (I believe). I asked them about that once and they said don't worry about it, they just have to put it down for legal reasons or something, but they will take care of the tires as long as they are above the legal limit. I had a piece of plastic get into the sidewall once and it was unrepairable and the tire was like 8 years old and they replaced it for nothing. They were all almost down to the 3/32 minimum too and I think they were like 90k mile tires and only had 45k on them and they gave 50% of the value back on the other 3 too. Never had any problems with Discount.

Herrred

Reaction score

My advice, wait until the factory warranty expires before pulling the trigger on MaxCare. You're paying for components already warrantied. As far as the Auto Appearance part, that only covers damage that can be removed by "popping out" the dents, not full body work (paint/bondo). The warranty specifically excludes paint damage once the dent is reverted.

jadmt

Reaction score
for tire warranties take that money it would cost and put it in a jar. Only use the money if you need to replace a tire. Knock on wood I have been driving since 1972 or so and can think of 2 times in my entire life that I had a tire that could not be repaired.

dm6

Reaction score
My advice, wait until the factory warranty expires before pulling the trigger on MaxCare. You're paying for components already warrantied. As far as the Auto Appearance part, that only covers damage that can be removed by "popping out" the dents, not full body work (paint/bondo). The warranty specifically excludes paint damage once the dent is reverted.
When you buy the MaxCare, any length you purchase is from the date you buy the vehicle. So if you buy a 8 year warranty from day 1, or if you buy it from the end of year 3, you are still only getting 5 years of additional warranty, right? But the longer you wait to buy it, the more expensive it is. So what is the advantage to waiting, unless you don't think you will keep the truck for over 3 years?

Herrred

Reaction score
for tire warranties take that money it would cost and put it in a jar. Only use the money if you need to replace a tire. Knock on wood I have been driving since 1972 or so and can think of 2 times in my entire life that I had a tire that could not be repaired.
+1

Stick with a tire retailer that has a road warranty included. The warranties are all about the same and then it's "free"'. I had a few for the last 30 years and most find a way to exclude coverage. I had only one time in which a warranty covered my tires and actually replaced them, after paying a nominal fee for the amount of mileage/wear.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
When you buy the MaxCare, any length you purchase is from the date you buy the vehicle. So if you buy a 8 year warranty from day 1, or if you buy it from the end of year 3, you are still only getting 5 years of additional warranty, right? But the longer you wait to buy it, the more expensive it is. So what is the advantage to waiting, unless you don't think you will keep the truck for over 3 years?

Agreed. If you’re going to do it might as well do it right away, or at least before the mileage price increases are triggered.

Ziegler advised that the prices for the warranty go up at 12,000/24,000/36,000.

And Chrysler typically raises the price on the warranty itself twice a year.

I’m probably going to keep the truck for 10 years at least. Unless I just have to have a 5th Gen new body style. Doesn’t really make sense to wait.

dm6

Reaction score
Agreed. If you’re going to do it might as well do it right away, or at least before the mileage price increases are triggered.

Ziegler advised that the prices for the warranty go up at 12,000/24,000/36,000.

And Chrysler typically raises the price on the warranty itself twice a year.

I’m probably going to keep the truck for 10 years at least. Unless I just have to have a 5th Gen new body style. Doesn’t really make sense to wait.
Thank you for that info! I was wondering at what point the prices increase because I was thinking of waiting to see if I have any issues to determine which deductible to get. But if they also raise the overall price twice a year, I guess I should just get it now.

DougB

Reaction score
I've emailed Mark Dodge to see if they would match Zeigler. Have not heard back yet. I'll give them a call Monday as I'd like to get it done next week in case there's a price increase Jan 1.

In TX, an 8yr/100k with $200 ded. was $1930 with the PAYINFULL discount. I'm skipping the wheel/tire and appearance care options. Those do not seem worth it to me.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I've emailed Mark Dodge to see if they would match Zeigler. Have not heard back yet. I'll give them a call Monday as I'd like to get it done next week in case there's a price increase Jan 1.

In TX, an 8yr/100k with $200 ded. was $1930 with the PAYINFULL discount. I'm skipping the wheel/tire and appearance care options. Those do not seem worth it to me.

Same quote I got. Seems pretty reasonable. For reference our 2021 Hyundai Palisade 10/100 with $0 deductible was about $1900 at dealer cost. But this truck is almost twice as much.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

My 2020 8/60 same deductible was $1170, dealer did it for $1070.

Just be careful they don't try to roll it into the financing, unless you want to pay interest on a warranty...

dm6

Reaction score
Same quote I got. Seems pretty reasonable. For reference our 2021 Hyundai Palisade 10/100 with $0 deductible was about $1900 at dealer cost. But this truck is almost twice as much.
There is quite a difference between the 85k mile and 100k mile because for the 8/85k, it is coming up with $1350 with the PAYINFULL. Considering I only drove my last truck about 50k miles in the last 10 years, I should be safe with this one :). I better jump on it before they raise the price.

DougB

Reaction score
There is quite a difference between the 85k mile and 100k mile because for the 8/85k, it is coming up with $1350 with the PAYINFULL. Considering I only drove my last truck about 50k miles in the last 10 years, I should be safe with this one :). I better jump on it before they raise the price.
There's a large jump from 8/100k to 8/125k, an additional $775. I was about 11.5k/yr avg with my '06 so will take my chances with the 8/100k on the '22.

My 2020 8/60 same deductible was $1170, dealer did it for $1070.

Just be careful they don't try to roll it into the financing, unless you want to pay interest on a warranty...
I'm hoping for a little more off from Mark Dodge but would be happy with matching just to give them the business. And no financing anything. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread