Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZF 8-speed transmission service

DeltaRob

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions and experiences with servicing the ZF transmission that comes in the 2500 with a 6.4 hemi.. I have heard and read that the transmission oil is lifetime service and if you service the transmission during the warranty period it voids the warranty. I am a retired Ford master technician, and specialized in transmission rebuilding for over 25 years. As far as I’m concerned, there is no lifetime service interval on an automatic transmission regardless of what the manufacturer says I do agree however, that the ZF transmission and German engineering as a whole is excellent have any of you serviced your transmission during the warranty period? Are any of continuing to drive them without being serviced? I tow a 24 foot boat trailer as well as a 25 foot travel trailer and have concerns about the transmission not being serviced. Thank you in advance for your experiences.

Aaandroger

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I serviced the zf 8 speed in our land rovers. There was a fun procedure requiring specific gear, rpm, and temperature to refill; but it was pretty easy.

Edit: it won't let me upload the pdf for some reason.

Dinky503

Reaction score
My 4th gen 1500 I serviced at 75k. I am the same as you no fluid Is life time. I used valvoline max life as it's ZF compliant. I had no issues and owned it to 150k till I went deisel. Just remember the filter is incorporated into the pan. There are a few aftermarket that allow you to replace the filter separately.

DeltaRob

Reaction score
Thank you. A lot of manufactures use this procedure now, or similar. Thank you!
For what it's worth, I serviced the zf 8 speed in our land rovers. There was a fun procedure requiring specific gear, rpm, and temperature to refill; but it was pretty easy.

Edit: it won't let me upload the pdf for some reason.
you.

Truckman

Reaction score
I agree there is no such thing as lifetime trans fluid. I will probably do a service as soon as I am out of warranty, that would 5 years or 60000. Since I have had it for more than 2 years and only have 18000 on the clock it probably wont be a lot of miles yet unless I go back to those 25000 mile years I put on previous trucks.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
From what I've seen/read making sure of your temps is the worst of it, there is a short window to get it filled properly before the temp gets too high

These are the instructions from ZF.

Attachments

• ZF Trans Service Instructions.pdf
    714 KB · Views: 86

Aaandroger

Reaction score
From what I've seen/read making sure of your temps is the worst of it, there is a short window to get it filled properly before the temp gets too high

Yep. Same pdf I have. Getting it up to temp, and having the thermostat open, is a nice, linear process--plenty of time. The most annoying part is waiting for it to cool back down to the required temp range to top it off. I just let it sit overnight, crack the fill plug, start the truck, open the fill plug, top off, close fill plug, and shut the truck off.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Yep. Same pdf I have. Getting it up to temp, and having the thermostat open, is a nice, linear process--plenty of time. The most annoying part is waiting for it to cool back down to the required temp range to top it off. I just let it sit overnight, crack the fill plug, start the truck, open the fill plug, top off, close fill plug, and shut the truck off.

Most of the comments have been about the 'window' being kinda tight... good to know there is plenty of time, I hate to feel rushed.

DeltaRob

Reaction score

Thank you

JimKIII

Reaction score
I have the 2022 2500 Bighorn truck also, but it doesn't have the ZF tranny. The build sheet shows -- '8-Spd Auto 8HP75-LCV Transmission'... so does the RAM build site at https://www.ramtrucks.com. No mention of the ZF transmission.

Also, the ZF 8HP Transmission Service Info PDF file referenced above doesn't show the 8HP75-LCV trans that's in my truck. See attached image.

1. Were there different 8HP75 transmissions installed in 2022 2500s; ZFs and non-ZFs, LCV and others?

2. Since the 8HP75-LCV is not listed in the service PDF, should I assume that the procedure for my transmission would be somewhat different than the PDF describes?

3. Anyone have the Kit Item # for the 8HP75-LCV Transmission?

Attachments

• ZF Trans Service Instructions.pdf
    714 KB · Views: 9

wolfpack

Reaction score
My rule on slushboxes is 30k. Don’t care what the book says. It is impossible to overservice an automatic trans. Especially if you haul.

I just had mine done today at 29,900 and it cost a ton. But dropping a dead trans would run $8-9k.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I have the 2022 2500 Bighorn truck also, but it doesn't have the ZF tranny. The build sheet shows -- '8-Spd Auto 8HP75-LCV Transmission'... so does the RAM build site at https://www.ramtrucks.com. No mention of the ZF transmission.

Also, the ZF 8HP Transmission Service Info PDF file referenced above doesn't show the 8HP75-LCV trans that's in my truck. See attached image.

1. Were there different 8HP75 transmissions installed in 2022 2500s; ZFs and non-ZFs, LCV and others?

2. Since the 8HP75-LCV is not listed in the service PDF, should I assume that the procedure for my transmission would be somewhat different than the PDF describes?

3. Anyone have the Kit Item # for the 8HP75-LCV Transmission?

All the 2019+ RAMS have that transmission.
From what little I can gather it is a ZF with an updated throttle body which responds faster and will handle more torque.

I didn't find anything for the 8HP-75, but given the changes, it is still the same transmission.
Everything I found indicated there is no significant changes so the 8HP fluid change procedure is valid... the important bit is making sure you are within the temp range.

I'd say reach out to them directly and see what they say if it really bug you...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread