Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZD4 Customer Satisfaction Notice - DEF Dosing Update

tkabrick

Reaction score
Just dropped my 2022 off at the dealer for recall work and they also let me know of ZD4 an update to the DEF Dosing Unit. This didn't show up in my Ram app or anything but was finally able to find it in the "Current Customer Satisfaction Notices" section. Anyone have any more information on what this update does or fixes? Looks like it's related to DEF freezing and just was released end of last week.

Attachments

• ZD4.pdf
    171 KB · Views: 144

unclelala

Reaction score
Just found it as well.....just browsing the PDF, it sounds like a software thing?

flan

Reaction score
That’s interesting, there has been a ton of cold weather def issues this past winter, @Pressure_welder sure went through hell.
I wonder if they will be sending those out to all affected vehicles?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That’s interesting, there has been a ton of cold weather def issues this past winter, @Pressure_welder sure went through hell.
I wonder if they will be sending those out to all affected vehicles?
Likely what it is. My DEF hell is over now but its good they may have a solution this would be the second attempt

StrayCat

Reaction score
Have mine booked in for next Friday for this and to have my annoying creaking steering wheel looked at.

still no Grid Heater Relay available for me yet.

Thorvald

Reaction score
I just got mine in the mail as well (Canadian Truck). Hopefully we can get more details on the Tech Bullet on this.

Mopar site states:
Customer Satisfaction Notice Description: 19-22MY DJ/D2/DD/DP 6.7L Diesel Exhaust Fluid Freezing

A customer satisfaction Notification (CSN) is preventive in nature and involves warranty or customer satisfaction issues that are non-safety related. FCA US LLC will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im interested to see how well this new update works

Thorvald

Reaction score
Curious what their solution is as well. I already know about DEF freezing when tanks are low (heck there are older recalls on Diesels for this) so I always kept my DEF at half-full to full (conveniently the DEF gauge at half full will take an entire Mopar jug without spilling all over the place so it works out well).

Now if only they would also address the grid heater "bolt" issue I'd be even happier.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Curious what their solution is as well. I already know about DEF freezing when tanks are low (heck there are older recalls on Diesels for this) so I always kept my DEF at half-full to full (conveniently the DEF gauge at half full will take an entire Mopar jug without spilling all over the place so it works out well).

Now if only they would also address the grid heater "bolt" issue I'd be even happier.
My DEF issues were when it would at any level even when full for freezing i tried keeping it low no dice, i tried at 1/2 full no dice, and then even when full still no good. We get some extreme cold here and that was the biggest issue so i would love to know what they changed in the update to “fix” this issue

Ronstar

Reaction score
Newbie here…..
I have an ‘01 so no DEF. Getting the ‘23 soon (its here and I expect to have it early next week) so DEF is a whole new wrinkle to develop. I ordered the ColdWeather package and its parked in an unheated shop in the winter. We can and do get temps as low as -10 to -20 but usually we stay above 0 as a rule. Does/will the block heater offer any help to the DEF tank?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Def starts freezing at 12F.

The block heater has no direct effect on the DEF tank. It heats the coolant and through convection via the block water jacket/oil passages, the oil.

Your DEF pump has a built in heater and the ECM can (should) manage frozen DEF for a "grace period." Appears some software need a little tweaking.

I've never had an issue with mine sitting outside in below 0F temps.

unclelala

Reaction score
Didn't drive my truck much this winter but this winter was cold here and few times well below 12F but no troubles at all which makes me wonder if the dealership does their thing will they fubar it.

gebertg

Reaction score
Reads as a software update.

Wonder if it will also include the sensor (NOX?) that is missing after the DPF for 22s due to parts shortages (21s & 23s?). I thought I read the EPA gave a waiver to all manufacturers but required the DEF to be injected at full rate whether needed or not.

unclelala

Reaction score

Wonder if it will also include the sensor (NOX?) that is missing after the DPF for 22s due to parts shortages (21s & 23s?). I thought I read the EPA gave a waiver to all manufacturers but required the DEF to be injected at full rate whether needed or not.
This is the PDF I received from Ram back in Dec. 2021 with no further word about it so maybe they are related to this.

Attachments

• Stellantis Pending Ram HD Emissions Recall (1).pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 37

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

No thats a different recall i cant remember the number but some have had it done

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran my truck several days below 0°F this winter without any issues. One trip I am certain the DEF tank was a solid block of "ice". Watching my CTS3 and DEF temp I don't think the truck even tried to thaw the DEF tank until the ambient temp was above 12°F, but as soon as I was above 12°F the temp started to rise rapidly and then the volume went down a needle width (the same amount it went up when it froze and expanded several days before).

I don't for one second think DEF is being injected at the full rate. The NOx sensors are still present on a '22 (primary means of DEF dosing rate), and the DEF usage is on par with 19-21 trucks that have the PM sensor.

No thats a different recall i cant remember the number but some have had it done

Y43, I think, but it's just for C&C trucks right now.

Hilly1

Reaction score
Was in for oil and filter change, tailgate recall, service advisor said this recall came up for my truck so I had them do it. Bulletin came a day later in the mail from FCA for my truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 58

Thorvald

Reaction score
They didn’t happen to tell you what it is they had to do did they?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They didn’t happen to tell you what it is they had to do did they?
Its just a computer update nothing mechanical.

On a side note i got my letter for it today and they also have a blerb about reimbursement if you have already paid to have the issue fixed. I wonder if they will pay my cost for tuning as that “fixed” the issue lmao!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Its just a computer update nothing mechanical.

On a side note i got my letter for it today and they also have a blerb about reimbursement if you have already paid to have the issue fixed. I wonder if they will pay my cost for tuning as that “fixed” the issue lmao!
The answer is no if you don’t ask…

Users who are viewing this thread